The smell of vintage electronics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Every morning when I open my office door, I take a deep breath in and enjoy the wonderful aroma of vintage electronics.

It's just dawned on me however, that I don't actually know what that smell is ... and whether it may actually be doing me harm as I sit in my office all day with a dozen or so vintage amps and tuners.

I can definitely smell it every morning when I walk into my office though, quite pleasant and unseemingly dangerous ... BUT WHAT IS IT I CAN SMELL?!?

(These are all solid state components built in the seventies, Sansui, Mitsubishi, Dynaco etc., nothing older than early seventies and nothing newer than early eighties.)

Should I be mindful of this or am I just being paranoid?

Back in the '70s /80s there were lots of electronic surplus barns (Mike Quinn etc) scattered around the SF Bay area. They all had this lovely smell of old aircraft.
Never did work out what the smell was. Sadly they all seem to have gone the way of the 8 track cartridge.
M

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
this lovely smell of old aircraft.

Oh yeah... you're right!

Whatever that smell, I love it. Grew up with it, so it seems comforting to me.
But it may not be just one smell. I recently bought a pair of Altec A7s. The insides of the cabinets had a "vintage" smell. Not mold or mildew :) but something from the past. No quite the old amp smell, but similar. Vintage paint? Lead?

Man, if I could bottle that smell there would be a lot of old geezers like us who would buy it.

I noticed a lot of vintage electronics from pawn shops smell a little like adult book stores for some reason.

Familiarity breeds contempt?

I think it's phenolics AND cigarettes. I lit up a HP 5245L (nixie counter) and immediately recalled the factory i worked in as a teen.

When you light up vintage ham radio equipment it never seems to quite rid itself of the nicotine -- and that's not the worst thing in the universe.

Phenolic resin.

I absolutely know what you mean.
Regarding electronics, old PCBs were full of phenol analogue substances. What you smell there is actually residual phenol or substituted derivatives from the phenolic resin the PCB is made of.

Should I be concerned at all about sitting in my office all day breathing this in?

Should I be concerned at all about sitting in my office all day breathing this in?

Yes, this is a deadly serious problem. Your vintage electronics should be removed from your office IMMEDIATELY and given to someone who is an expert in the disposal and toxicology of electronic gear. Since this can be frightfully expensive and I wish to approach the issue as an altruist, I will PM you my address, where you can send the equipment to be handled safely.

LOL! :D :D :D

On the serious side, phenol is toxic and mutagenic. Formaldehyde can cause allergies and is an irritant. It denaturates proteins of the retina, causing blindness. This is why people get blind if they get intoxicated from methanol. Methanol is metabolized into formaldehyde in the liver.

I'd rather give up smoking than get rid of my beloved electronic stuff, though. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.