Who's the Head Mod around here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Gents ,

Does anyone know who is the head Mod around here, i'm tired of having my posts being edited or deleted by "Cal " enuff , this is not romper room , no need for the unnecessary deleting of complete post due to one word or discussions where he is the only one offended by such ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
...this is not romper room...

Yes, it is.

Though not as bad as some other places.

Over at HeadFi for example, you can't use asterisks (i.e. "****") or even the old comic book "!@#$%."

That's considered "implied profanity"

Oh yeah, and any mention of drugs or anything having to do with drugs is prohibited as well. Including any mention of them in song titles or lyrics. So if anyone asks you what your favorite Clapton song is, you'd better not answer "Cocaine." Of that your favorite Smashmouth song is "Stoned."

Though there was a time here when even the word "crap" was prohibited* and the Nanny Filter would convert it to asterisks. That seems to have changed (either that or they forgot to add it to the Nanny Filter) so perhaps there is some hope for the future. :D

Personally I don't believe in "bad words." I think the whole notion is highly irrational and hypocritical. But it's their sandbox, so they're free to set whatever rules they want, no matter how silly they may be.

*The reason given for this was that in Australia, the word "crap" was considered to be even more offensive than its synonym that begins with the letter "s." However I'd asked many Ozzies about this since being told about it and not one of them has confirmed it.

se

Then stop breaking the rules.

What rule was broken and why were you not moderate, instead of heavy handed ?

1. you took out my whole post for what, a word violation , a sentence ?

2. I was never notified of any rule violation

3. Sad and very disrespectful IMO, by deleting my post , if there were rule violations, where are these rules ...

:confused:

Last edited:
...if there were rule violations, where are these rules ...

The closest thing to rules they have here are in the Terms of Service agreement.

Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any other user, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within our website.

Pretty squidgy and allows quite a lot of wiggle room for moderators.

se

That's considered "implied profanity"

Oh yeah, and any mention of drugs or anything having to do with drugs is prohibited as well. Including any mention of them in song titles or lyrics. So if anyone asks you what your favorite Clapton song is, you'd better not answer "Cocaine." Of that your favorite Smashmouth song is "Stoned."

Man, that's pretty much the "normal flow of dialogue" around here :D

Does anyone know who is the head Mod around here,

You can ask, but the last guy who did...:p

You can ask, but the last guy who did...:p

You mean this poor sod?

killer_rabbit.jpg

Thought he was just asking a simple, innocent question of a wee little bunny rabbit.

:D

se

There are some moderators who take moderation into the realm of immoderate.
Prohibited behaviour includes harassing or causing distress or inconvenience to any other user, transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within our website.
While this seems reasonable, words such as "causing distress" and "offensive content" allow pandering to the ridiculously sensitive whose problem is their own. Robust debate and discussion should not be discouraged. Mind you, such a view didn't do Plato much good.

Frank

You mean this poor sod?

killer_rabbit.jpg

Thought he was just asking a simple, innocent question of a wee little bunny rabbit.

se

Careful " Sod " might set of Moderator Sirens .......... :rolleyes:

There are some moderators who take moderation into the realm of immoderate.
While this seems reasonable, words such as "causing distress" and "offensive content" allow pandering to the ridiculously sensitive whose problem is their own. Robust debate and discussion should not be discouraged. Mind you, such a view didn't do Plato much good.

Frank

Some mods are well more Moderate with credentials :D

Attachments

• moderators-wanted-moderators-wanted-demotivational-poster-1267846961.jpg
    moderators-wanted-moderators-wanted-demotivational-poster-1267846961.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 278
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You mean this poor sod?

killer_rabbit.jpg

se

We have bunnies that would eat this one for breakfast.. ;)

FWIW I think the mods do a very good job of striking a reasonable balance here. (By way of disclosure several of them are friends so I might be biased.. :) ) Incidentally this is our sandbox so we all ought to take care of it. I think dissenting views are generally widely valued here, but when things get out of hand some self moderation or gentle hints by the crowd to the offender prior to the situation getting so far out of hand that moderation is required is not a bad idea. (I know this does not always work)

Last edited:
Ted,
Stop whinging you blokes.
In general the mods do a good job and they do not get paid for their time and efforts, I have had posts and replies deleted myself and when I look back such deletion was warranted.
Isn't free speech being free to speak? By all means, express your view but to tell others not to do the same is hypocritical.
Most mods are good but that doesn't mean all are and freedom means being able to say so.

Frank

LOL... Ok moondog, i will take your word that you deserved it .. ROfL....

Let me clarify , this is in no way intended to detract from the good work done by Mods or the effort they put in , no one wants anarchy, pay attn to what this discussion is really about and it is not about "the Mods" ...

Last edited:
diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Where in the Australian Constitution is there any mention of "Free Speech"??

You have to remember that here in OZ we have NO rights, none ! Not ANY!!

There is NO "Bill of Rights" or anything remotely resembling one, Australia is more like a Police state than some parts of Europe that were behind the old Iron Curtain, an elected oligarchy whose only concern is their entitlements and salary.

The correct place for these discussions is here; in the lounge

Isn't free speech being free to speak? By all means, express your view but to tell others not to do the same is hypocritical.
Most mods are good but that doesn't mean all are and freedom means being able to say so.

There is no free speech here. What we can and cannot say is entirely up to those who own it.

Not saying that's inherently a bad thing. It's ultimately as it should be. This is private property and only the owners have a say in er, who has a say.

se

Where in the Australian Constitution is there any mention of "Free Speech"??

You have to remember that here in OZ we have NO rights, none ! Not ANY!!

There is NO "Bill of Rights" or anything remotely resembling one, Australia is more like a Police state than some parts of Europe that were behind the old Iron Curtain, an elected oligarchy whose only concern is their entitlements and salary.

The correct place for these discussions is here; in the lounge

Hey no politics , well apart from DIY politics ... :p don't wanna give trigger finger "Cal " an excuse to delete this thread ...

:p

In general the mods do a good job and they do not get paid for their time and efforts...

I agree that in general the mods do a good job here. However I don't feel that their not being paid for their time and effort is of any relevance whatsoever when it comes to those instances where they don't do such a good job (and not saying that's necessarily the case here as no one seems to know just what rule was violated or what it was that supposedly violated the rule).

I can't remember how many times I've been fed that line when I've had issues with mods not just here but elsewhere. And it's ********.

No, they're not paid for their time and efforts, but neither did they have a gun put to their head and forced to become a moderator.

If you agree to do a job, you should do it well, whether you're being paid for it or not. If you can't, then do something else.

So please, I don't ever want to hear about the mods not being paid when it comes to instances when they don't do such a good job. There's absolutely no excuse for it.

se

Status
Not open for further replies.