What are you drinking?

Home made British dark bitter.
It is slightly chilled with a thing that looks like an air con unit that runs cooled water through the kegs.
The cooler is a modified commercial unit.

Let's get the design into a new thread - a good beer is as good as music !

... I'm drinking a cool ice tea lemonade this evening :D

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Anyone up for chocolate milk , with a gin chaser? :cheers:

Cal, ever tried the Goslings Black Seal? Great in a Dark
and Stormy of course, but nice on the rocks as well

My wife loves gin, as such we try anything new we can find. Her standby (besides Tanqueray) is Burnetts!!!

Gosling's Black is pretty good. I used to be a huge rum drinker but got introduced to Bourbon a while back, much to the wallet's dismay... but right now I'm comparing some Pusser's Rums - the regular strength and the gunpowder proof. Tasty stuff if you're more of a Bourbon person. Sailor Jerry used to be my standby.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The label says "The original Admiralty Rum of the Royal Navy" and it's a product of Guyana. I've had far rougher rums but it isn't the smoothest out there. The regular is really tasty at 42% and the gun powder proof packs a bit more punch but still tastes good at 54.5%. Sailor Jerry is rough in comparison. Pusser's also makes a 15 year one which was like $60/bottle but you can get lots of good stuff for $60 so that will go untried unless I hit the lotto ;)

Brian - for a mainstream gin, the new Star of Bombay is quite nice, but it's hard to beat some of the small local craft / artisan products - unfortunately they're not often as widely available.

It's the out of left field botanicals that give each their special character / texture.

Fermentorium's Stump (cascade hops, grand fir, bay laurel, coriander and lavender. )
Victoria Distillers Empress 1908 (grapefruit peel, rose, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, Fairmont Empress Blend Tea, butterfly pea flowers)
Sheringham Point's Seaside (kelp)

I'm sure with careful research and tastings you could find something in your own neighborhood equally as delightful.

As for Bourbons, my go to would have to be Maker's Mark - I know, maybe too safe for the adventurous.

Last edited:
Love gin also but it's mostly a summertime drink for me. My Favorite - when I'm willing to splurge - is 47 Monkeys from Germany. Another is Blue Gin from Hans Reisetbauer from Austria. He's mostly known for eaux de vie. His ingredients are almost all organic, often biodynamic. There's a local one here from Taos NM called Hacienda Gin from KGB spirits if you're ever this way. I think it makes it into Colorado also. Will keep an eye out for Star of Bombay - always interested in new gins.

Maker's is my go-to Bourbon also. Always on-hand for Manhattans and other mixed drinks but serves equally well straight or on rocks too. Jeez - it's early to be thinking about drinking, still on coffee here.

Auchentoshan Three Wood Single Malt

had a paperwork avalanch off my desk, was looking for my Etymotic attenuators before walking to Slumbrew for dinner

needed the attenuators - would have probably needed the Quiet Comfort noise cancelers over my ER6 IEM to actually listen to my own music

while rumaging around the desk behind the 24" monitor where the booze hides I saw I hadn't even unboxed the Auchentoshan...

Last edited:
There's something I just don't quite get on with in the two Auchentoshan's that I've had (three wood and the standard 12 yr). I don't know if it's the sherry influence or what. I generally don't mind sherry cask matured whisky, but there was just something I didn't like in those.

I really like the Bruichladdich 12.

my widow air cond decided to drip inside this year

maybe I should toss some beers in the 33 gallon tub I put under it
I'm sure there's some Guinness draft cans with the nitro 'widget' here somewhere

Home made British dark bitter.
It is slightly chilled with a thing that looks like an air con unit that runs cooled water through the kegs.
The cooler is a modified commercial unit.

for non alcholic drink options I mix Naked mighty mango or Zola Acai juices with unsweetened soy milk

Last edited: