What are you drinking?

You seem to have completely missed his remark that ALL French wine is crap and that it is all overpriced - that is total bollocks. In all my years of drinking wine and conversing with wine drinkers from around the world I have never, ever heard anyone say they like wine to have a sour taste - have you?

LOL, I should have added that while some French wine is, in my opinion, over-priced, when my wife and I bicycled for 2 weeks in France (particularly the Burgundy area) back around y2k we regularly found quite nice bottles of wine for $3-4, which we'd bring along on our rides with bread and cheese for our lunch. Fabulous. And we can even get some very nice French reds in the US at affordable prices (Rhone and Loire are two regional examples).

Definitely!

LOL, I should have added that while some French wine is, in my opinion, over-priced, when my wife and I bicycled for 2 weeks in France (particularly the Burgundy area) back around y2k we regularly found quite nice bottles of wine for $3-4, which we'd bring along on our rides with bread and cheese for our lunch. Fabulous. And we can even get some very nice French reds in the US at affordable prices (Rhone and Loire are two regional examples).

Vin de francais, the bastion of quality, value and consistency:rofl: No particular order...

Laurels and resting;)

And we can even get some very nice French reds in the US at affordable prices (Rhone and Loire are two regional examples).

Unfortunately some of the great Rhone and Loire wines are now stupid money. BTW "sour" is meaningless as a proper term for wine evaluation, do you mean no or low residual sugar or damage by excess VA? I rather enjoy bone dry wines some (like the driest Alsatian wines) have slowly disappeared due to climate change and certain critics' questionable taste. I started a thread many years ago on a wine board entitled "I like (German) trocken wine" that went viral.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Yes, they did graft American rootstock to French vines. Had they grafted American vines to French rootstock, it would have done absolutely nothing to alleviate the "root cause" ;)

Since the blight occurred in the mid-to-late 19th century, air travel likely wasn't a huge consideration. ;)

Even so, rootstock is commonly transported by air today without worry. ;)

Edited to add - If you mean roots surviving out of soil for their transport by "in air", then that is also not a huge issue, they were likely not transported "in air", but apologies for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Unfortunately some of the great Rhone and Loire wines are now stupid money. BTW "sour" is meaningless as a proper term for wine evaluation, do you mean no or low residual sugar or damage by excess VA? I rather enjoy bone dry wines some (like the driest Alsatian wines) have slowly disappeared due to climate change and certain critics' questionable taste. I started a thread many years ago on a wine board entitled "I like (German) trocken wine" that went viral.

True to some extent on the Rhone and Loire, but not all. I rarely can get a truly great wine of any type. But we can often get for example, Chateau Beauchene (Chateau Beauchene Cotes du Rhone Grande Reserve 2019 | Wine.com) for $7-9 and I find them really well balanced and drinkable. They don't have the nuances of more expensive wines, of course, but pretty good for someone on my budget.

And yes, sour isn't a great term - it was GUNFU's in this little tete-a-tete - but some wines have a type of acidity that I can only describe as sour to my palate. I don't think it's VA in this case. My dislike of "sour" tastes applies to foods too, so it isn't just wine. I'm thinking some kind of change in my tastebuds. I just read an abstract about increased sensitivity to sour in Crohn's disease sufferers. Don't think that's me, but you never know...

Last edited:
I glass of this old one from the cellar...cheers

Attachments

• 20210404_172717.jpg
    20210404_172717.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 130
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have a strong suspicion that due to genetics, each of us experiences wine slightly differently. Some things come through and are commonly acknowledged as good or great, many others not do.

As an example of this, take asparagus. If you eat it, you excrete quite a strong smell via your urine. It turns out, only some folks can smell this because the have the genetic wherewithal to do so - others cannot detect it at all.

I read lots of wine reviews about ‘great nose’ etc etc and get absolutely nothing. My wife loves stuff I think is abysmal.

Each to his own!

:)

Plan to do some power listening tonight. Alcohol adversely impacts my hearing... A big inky Red Wine, out of a Riedel Sommeliers is in order for the weekend. May have to "raid" the wine stash while it is still cool.

Whoa! Is that a 1987 Beringer Private Reserve? If so, enjoy! And for that I agree, a short pour and a fine glass. Add some fabulous music well reproduced and what more could one ask?