What are you drinking?

I am just "härjing" with you. We plan to go to Rügen in a few weeks and will tro to find some non-lager beer, which propably means Schwarzbier, which is lager, actually, but with a taste.
My point was that we are no lovers of light lager, but prefer heavier, meatier and darker stuff in our glasses. But checking a Swedish alcohol store, you'll find that beer makes up 90% of lager and the rest ale and stut, so I guess most Swedes go for the lighter stuff.

Last edited:
A Lillet. The decor is quite a good match.

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20190821_135605988_HDR.jpg
    0_IMG_20190821_135605988_HDR.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 74
SY and his friend JD put me onto El Dorado, the 15yr. neat is a fine aperitif. I've resisted buying a bottle of the 25yr. old.

I had a bottle of the expensive stuff earlier this year, I think 21 yr old (?) it was a gift. It was very fine. The 5yo is a bit rough, I had some of that when in Carriacou in March, the Westerhall Dark from Grenada was better and cheaper, but the 8 and 12 are a step up (though the El Dorado 5yo is good in a punch as the flavor comes through).

Speaking of exotic rum, I heard a food joke the other day:

"Jokes about white sugar are rare; jokes about brown sugar... Demerara!"

That looks like a nice spot, where is it?

It's the bar of the "hotel de l'Europe" in Lourdes. Not seen on the pic is an amazing collection of promotional materials for all kinds of alcohol, dating back to the 1920's: posters, weird bottles, small statues, etc. The alcohol selection is a bit limited but as long as they have some Chartreuse and some Izarra...

Muskoka Breweries unfiltered Mad Tom IPA. Nice and hoppy.

mmmmm

We are truly living in a golden age of beer drinking. There are more high quality options available from small, local brewers than I think we have seen in over 100 years, and likely longer than that n many places. On top of that the products from small, local brewers are available over a large geographical area, thanks to the miracles of aluminum cans and distribution networks.? I don't know if we have ever seen this before. It is an embarrassment of riches.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Gave my brother a subscription to Craft Brew Of The Month Club, as a birthday gift.

Each month he gets a shipment of 12 bottles of craft beer selected by the selling shop, some are local-regional and do not advertise or sell in Arkansas USA where my brother lives. So he gets to try out stuff that none of his friends have ever heard of, which makes for (a) fun and (b) bragging rights. I purchased the subscription from these people

Beer of The Month Club - Craft Beer | The Original Craft Beer Club

but there are a half dozen others with enthusiastic reviews from many customers.

Greetings nezbleu from the other side of Canada!

Could not agree more with your statement. The small town I live in has 3 microbrews, each of which offer a delightful array of tasty beverages. Here is one example: Persephone Brewing Company – Beer Farm Craft Brewery Sunshine Coast BC Not too many years ago, I had to travel to Portland, Oregon to get a decent beer... And now one can also have herbs delivered to your door in Canada, if one desires. What a time to be alive!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Just finished a bottle Wolfberger Gewurztraminer 2017.
Ehmm... why not another one? Heavenly.
Plop!

The funny and gracious fact of vin d'alsace is that all the whites (& the p-noir ofc) can be consumed unchilled, thus at room temp, even 20++. Now that's paradisical coïnciding blossom and fruit in a glass.

Also true on this coast, great new wineries opening all the time (OK not all great yet, but lots of good products), and some really good small scale distilleries. One called Compass seems to have accidentally specialized in gin. They make one called GiNS where every part, grain and botanicals, is locally sourced, and another called Gin Wild where all the botanicals are not only local but foraged (wild juniper etc), and they are also aging gin in oak casks. Right now I think they are selling 5 products called Gin or Genever, and I don't think that's what they set out to do.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I am interested in how you define Stevia. It's neither real sugar nor fake sugar. It's an plant derivative just like sugar is, but because your body metabolizes it differently, it's unable to turn the sweetness into calories. It's in a category on it's own isn't it? It's why I use it instead of Sucralose.

I have never tried Stevia actually, or at least not knowingly, but to be safe, i will say Teas without sugar, stevia or fake sugars :)