Moderation and members no longer around

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Morten,
As SY says, there is no way for a sponsored forum moderator to access what regular moderators can. They can only affect their own area, everyone has been very careful about that. We'll give 'em a "nouggy" (how do you spell that anyway??) if they even try. Knuckle rubbed on top of head is what I'm referring to, just in case there is a translation that means something entirely different!

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I can't understand why you dislike banning that much, after all is part of your work here, a voluntary work. I can understand that you don't like banning valuable members, but you can't do nothing about it: it's their own suicide.

As for me I enjoy the gossip, reading Borat saying I'm too young too die and next moment... bang bang you're dead. :RIP:.

Sometimes this forum takes me back to elementary school days; memories of reckless behaviors, punishments and some written knowledge.

Last edited:
Set aside the intense dislike about a very few clueless and/or arrogant and/or straight stupid moderators, the main reason for my greatly reduced contribution is the amount of technical bull chips that are perpetrated here. Driven more and more by vested interests, the quantity and smell of the said chips increased significantly over the years, to the level where I saw only two options: spend time cleaning, or be guilty by association.

I don't have that time, while being associated with a forum (AKA "the cable guys forum") was, to me, not allowed by some elementary mental hygiene principles.

Otherwise, as far as I can tell, you guys are doing just fine.

First, I would like to compliment the moderators and thank them for their efforts with what seems to me to be a pretty unruly crowd at times. I like reading and posting here and I wouldn't seek to damage anything. I think some of the policies being implemented are overcautious, however.

I don't like the way that the forum censors my use of English. If people don't like the way I express myself then they need to grow thicker skins. God alone knows I'm tolerant enough of other people's near-unintelligible spelling, grammar and punctuation. No names - no pack-drill. wahab.

Which brings me neatly onto the subjects of religion and politics. What's holy about these? No, really, have you heard the one about the priest and the politician? Well, unfortunately I can't tell you it.

w

oops

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, I think this is a fine place, and Im proud to be a member

I cant understand why anyone would want to hurt us, or make it hard on us

I can tell you, at times this mod job can be exstremely demanding, and difficult

So, why not try and make it easier instead
And we might get more time to focus on more positive things
Maybe even get some spare time to do a bit of DIY

Maybe consider that some members have been around fore a very long time
Maybe some just get bored over time
To stay on top forever is not very realistic
Maybe some find it hard to realise that everything changes over time

People remains the same, its the surroundings that change

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi stinius,
I did reply, at length. However, I just got back to my 'puter just now. I will check my messages. Did you send to my personal email, or through the messaging system? My reply came straight to you via normal email. I dislike using the forum email system.

Hi stalker,
I can't understand why you dislike banning that much, after all is part of your work here, a voluntary work. I can understand that you don't like banning valuable members, but you can't do nothing about it: it's their own suicide.
That's an excellent point. I think it's more a viewpoint held over from how I view life. As I said, these are personal comments, the only time I feel satisfied if someone is banned is when that person has been those arrogant members who put everyone else down. That's karma to my way of thinking.

I spent my life so far trying to help people when they needed it. I often come from a different angle where the basic thought is to find out what is bothering someone and trying to find something that works for them. If people are willing to talk things through, most issues aren't that big a deal. So I have a sense of loss if a member decides to close all options behind them in order to voice their displeasure. I try to see where they are coming from before taking action.

This worked very well for me in excess of 30 years, but not nearly so well on forums. It seems the detachment from not seeing the other person as a person brings out the worst in some people. It's difficult for me to understand why the drama.

Sometimes this forum takes me back to elementary school days; memories of reckless behaviors, punishments and some written knowledge.
So true!

Hi Ovidiu,
Set aside the intense dislike about a very few clueless and/or arrogant and/or straight stupid moderators
That's bound to happen. Different personalities - many of them! I can't offer any great ways to get around this beyond avoiding each other, as many as there are. The strength of a highly varied moderation team is that there should be at least one or more moderators you can get along with. No one ever said you have to get along with everyone, just like in real life.

Ovidiu, you are one of those members who do contribute a great deal to life around here. Your help in hosting files and allowing members to access your site is appreciated. Same thing with assisting people and projects. I haven't been around for a while, so I don't know how involved you are these days.

So, I'd like to thank you for all your past help to the members here. I hope you see fit to continue in the future. Otherwise the few that cause trouble in your life succeed in reducing the enjoyment for both you and the people you normally help.

I don't have that time, while being associated with a forum (AKA "the cable guys forum") was, to me, not allowed by some elementary mental hygiene principles.
I'm not sure what you are saying here, I have been out of touch as I mentioned. You spend your time where you figure it's more valuable. That's simply how the average person thinks. For instance, while I'm still very much dealing with issues in my life, this place does get 99% of my time that I can spare. So, same as you but maybe a different place.

Hi tinitus,
Well, I think this is a fine place, and Im proud to be a member
I agree with that. Most people are very decent to deal with and will enhance everyone's life. But for a moderator, it only takes a couple to spoil the day due to the extra work they can cause.

I can tell you, at times this mod job can be exstremely demanding, and difficult
Yes. Also rewarding when things are moving smoothly for the people here.

You are on the right track so far as I can see. Instead of the dramas unfolding, getting down to some DIY is the entire reason most of us are here to begin with.

-Chris

magura: They only have limited moderating privileges in their own forums.

I know, but I find it very unfortunate, that the information can't be trusted, no matter if it's from the main forum, or a vendor forum.
If you accept that a vendor edits out the negative feedback and critical questions, it should also be pointed out in a way, that it is a commercial part of the forum, edited by the vendor.
That would have to be pointed out in every single post, as many finds info here, through Google and the like, and may miss that part otherwise.

Either that, or keep the standard, and let the members interact freely, so they can help each other decide what's good and bad.

Magura :)

How about also addressing the issues of fully privileged moderators that also own a business, segregating threads based on favorable opinions, because we know that happens. When that's brought to light you delete the "offending" posts and then place the user under permanent moderation, and then claim you aren't into censorship? I got news for ya, it's the tinkerbell effect, all you can do is wave your wand and hope the spell takes. How many long winded posts are you going to make supporting your misdeeds all while saying you haven't got a clue, haven't been around, etc. You're at least half right. If you were all so righteous in your moderating, you wouldn't have to slander the banned users publicly once they aren't around to defend themselves. The fact that you habitually do speaks volumes. Better paint them as the enemy so you don't look it yourselves. Go on with your excuses when you should be listening instead. Really, you don't care about diy and the only contributions of concern are of a financial nature. Why are you taking donations for new servers when you have a hosting service? Why don't the people see a running count of donations? Do you think a little star beside your name for donating money is really the kind of segregation that needs encouraging in a healthy forum? Don't people who contribute a wealth of knowledge, that you later bank on, deserve a star as well? Tsk. How many people do you think will read this before you have the chance to delete it? People have eyes with which they see and all the hot air in the world isn't going to bury the truth. You should be ashamed of yourselves for what you did to andy_c and others like him, but in your own words, you just don't understand, how baffled you are. The only reason andy_c was banned was because he started his own forum for technical discussions that are no longer possible here to to vested interests of all sorts, because you thought a marketing friendly forum is what's required to be profitable whereas engineering is not. I don't believe for a second you guys do this for free.

I don't believe for a second you guys do this for free.

You gotta get yourself a cup of coffee, sit back, find your favorite cd, and give it a good listen.

Little, if any of what you just wrote, holds water.
I happen to know a couple of the moderators personally, and would be very surprised, if you could back up any of your accusations, with facts.

How about also addressing the issues of fully privileged moderators that also own a business, segregating threads based on favorable opinions, because we know that happens. When that's brought to light you delete the "offending" posts and then place the user under permanent moderation, and then claim you aren't into censorship? I got news for ya, it's the tinkerbell effect, all you can do is wave your wand and hope the spell takes. How many long winded posts are you going to make supporting your misdeeds all while saying you haven't got a clue, haven't been around, etc. You're at least half right. If you were all so righteous in your moderating, you wouldn't have to slander the banned users publicly once they aren't around to defend themselves. The fact that you habitually do speaks volumes. Better paint them as the enemy so you don't look it yourselves. Go on with your excuses when you should be listening instead. Really, you don't care about diy and the only contributions of concern are of a financial nature. Why are you taking donations for new servers when you have a hosting service? Why don't the people see a running count of donations? Do you think a little star beside your name for donating money is really the kind of segregation that needs encouraging in a healthy forum? Don't people who contribute a wealth of knowledge, that you later bank on, deserve a star as well? Tsk. How many people do you think will read this before you have the chance to delete it? People have eyes with which they see and all the hot air in the world isn't going to bury the truth. You should be ashamed of yourselves for what you did to andy_c and others like him, but in your own words, you just don't understand, how baffled you are. The only reason andy_c was banned was because he started his own forum for technical discussions that are no longer possible here to to vested interests of all sorts, because you thought a marketing friendly forum is what's required to be profitable whereas engineering is not. I don't believe for a second you guys do this for free.

Well said LTRALUS......watch yourself getting banned on next instance.

You gotta get yourself a cup of coffee, sit back, find your favorite cd, and give it a good listen.

Little, if any of what you just wrote, holds water.
I happen to know a couple of the moderators personally, and would be very surprised, if you could back up any of your accusations, with facts.

Magura,

Oh really........!!!!:eek:

So many valuable members got banned and many members stopped contributing on the forum, ever wonder WHY????:p

How about also addressing the issues of fully privileged moderators that also own a business, segregating threads based on favorable opinions, because we know that happens. (blah, blah)... I don't believe for a second you guys do this for free.

As someone who has no business connections in audio whatever, six years as a moderator, and a year as mod captain, I can confidently and knowledgeably say that this is all absolute rubbish.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
How many people do you think will read this before you have the chance to delete it?

Jeez, not as many as you hope - if you never learn to break it up into paragraphs! Honestly - why the fear of the carriage return?

Other than that - you are so seriously wrong it's funny. Talk about your tinkerbell effect. Mods do it for free, period. As a noob mod but long time member, I don't see any differences or privileges given to mods. OK, maybe one. I have longer to go back and edit my posts. =) Good for me considering I'm the king of typos. But that's about it.

I suppose there will always be those who think they are being oppressed by "the man." Or conspiracy theorists. That's very far from the truth here. All the mods try to do is keep it on topic and polite. And many of the members try to do that too.
As far as I've seen, it is very rarely ideas that get "censored" here. It's rude behavior that does.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.