Help Borat choose a Career

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Over the last couple months i have come to the conclusion that my EE degree just isn't worth anything. maybe it's the economy or maybe not.

It has dawned upon me, that even if i am the best engineer EVAR, technically speaking i am not even a "professional" :eek:

I decided that i want to be:

a: a "professional"

and

b: a "doctor" of something

but i don't know of what ? my problem as always is that i am good at everything. for example i was always just as good in biology as i was in physics.

so one possibility is to become an MD. i would make an excellent doctor, there is no doubt about that.

but then maybe i should become a patent lawyer ? i invent new technologies all the time but never patent them ... two birds with one stone ?

there is no time to waste. we have to think fast gentlemen.

what other degrees are out there worth having ? i need a small list.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE, I AM DEAD SERIOUS AND I NEED YOUR HELP

Last edited:
I agree with Carl. Sales. Or advertising copywriter. Or combine them with your audio interests: Design and market high-end audio accessories.

For example, you can buy small stick-on felt pads, designed to put on the bottom of vases etc to stop them scratching the surfaces they are placed on. Repackage them and market them (at a huge markup, with a pseudoscientific brochure) as sound dampers - stick one on each wall that you need to damp.

Oh wait, someone else already did exactly that. But it does prove my point, it's a fertile field for your talents.

I agree with Carl. Sales. Or advertising copywriter. Or combine them with your audio interests: Design and market high-end audio accessories.

For example, you can buy small stick-on felt pads, designed to put on the bottom of vases etc to stop them scratching the surfaces they are placed on. Repackage them and market them (at a huge markup, with a pseudoscientific brochure) as sound dampers - stick one on each wall that you need to damp.

Oh wait, someone else already did exactly that. But it does prove my point, it's a fertile field for your talents.

you are again replying to the title of my thread and not to what i have actually written inside.

yes the title says career, but i am asking for a degree.

When a good EE can't find a great job, I say this country is headed down the wrong road. When China decides to point there shiny new orbiting trans flux plasma gun at us, what will the CEO's, and marketing guy's that are left, do to save us? Pay them off with money, after asking them for a loan? Maybe the marketing guys could sell them on the idea that we could be good severants, or pets? Maybe we could throw some sticks at them and nail a few in the head before we are exterminated.

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
Who needs a PhD? Waste of time.

+1 Don't get a phd unless you really want to be disqualified from most everything :D

I don't see the point of getting another degree if you have one already. Think harder why you're not finding work, move if you need to, go where the jobs are, a time honoured tradition. If you're a people's person, think about management. Then get an MS or MBA, work hard and you'll get the job after.

Becoming a medic is a long trek. Do you have what it takes? Are you ready to put your life aside for years on end?

Perhaps you should go to your local job finding office and talk to a career counselor or something.

Best wishes in finding what you're looking for.

When a good EE can't find a great job, I say this country is headed down the wrong road. When China decides to point there shiny new orbiting trans flux plasma gun at us, what will the CEO's, and marketing guy's that are left, do to save us? Pay them off with money, after asking them for a loan? Maybe the marketing guys could sell them on the idea that we could be good severants, or pets? Maybe we could throw some sticks at them and nail a few in the head before we are exterminated.

Get with the program, its all about the service industry we dont need to prduce anything, just sell millions of lattes and muffins to chineese tourists. If you do it well they point the plasma gun at someone else:)

Borat

You have to decide what your employment priorities are.... dollars, job satisfaction or status as rarely do they overlap.

I was involved in engineering for over 25 years (and enjoyed most of it) but pulled the pin and retired 15 years ago when job satisfaction was reduced. It never supplied huge dollars as engineers are generally undervalued nor did it provide any status.

Engineering can be very good if you work for the right company and that's usually ones run by engineers and not marketing types or bean counters.

The happiest people I know do not have a degree or are not using their degree but have found opportunities or niche areas that suit them. I don't know about the USA but a large proportion of workers in Australia work in areas that are vastly different to their formal training.

I hope you find what you are looking for as we do spend a long time in the workforce.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.