Who loves Chocolate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lousymusician said:
I haven't eaten chocolate in 35 years now, after discovering that it was one of the things triggering the migraines that plagued my childhood.
Ya I used to LOVE M&Ms plain chocolate candies until the year 2000 when Mars changed ALL THIER CANDY to skim milk instead of regular milk...NOW (TO ME) THEY TASTE LIKE CRAP.....

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Try Smarties instead. I never liked M&Ms, Smarties thou…

3990571_smarties_45g_carton_3d.png

dave

me, I love chocolate. Unless it is American - sorry, 90% of it seems to be complete crap. Don't feel bad, Chinese chocolate is even worse. In fact, the Chinese chocolate I eat many years ago was so bad I wouldn't have recognized it as edible. In hindsight it wasn't. American chocolate is only edible when it's coated onto something else.

European chocolate seems to be the best, South American chocolate has real potential.

From the UK it is Cadbury's. However, in Canada the Cadbury stuff is crap. That's because it's American. They bought over Cadbury's and the stuff they make in North America became crap. If you look at the ingredients for Cadbury's in England it used to say 'milk' first, then 'sugar'. The American version says 'sugar' first. The new owners have been meddling with other Cadbury products and each time they do, their customers are able to report that the result is complete crap. I'm not sure why they are so completely clueless but when you're raised on Hershey's you simply have no idea what Chocolate is. You do however get very jealous when you are Hershey's and realize that your chocolate is awful. When Hershey's bought Cadbury's they took legal action to try and prevent people importing the real British Cadburys into the States. That's pretty sad.

Now, chocolate gelato is even better. It transcends most chocolates. Of course, it has Italian influence. That pretty much guarantees a good result doesn't it. Would Cadbury's be sold back to the British, or better to the Italians, we might achieve greatness once more.

Last edited:
me, I love chocolate. Unless it is American.....quality chocolate or candies containing a high sugar.....

Unfortunately it seems that the US is far too addicted to sugar, with whatever binding and flavoring necessary to sell it, whether it's chocolate, cola or "food." Now, tell me again, why are we the fattest country in the world?

My almost daily habit is dark chocolate, the real stuff with minimal sugar. My current favorite is Trader Joe's 85% cacao, made in Colombia. It still has 6 grams of sugar in a 44 gram "serving." Who are they kidding? On a hot day like today when I am active I can eat up to 200 grams of the stuff! Today it was 87 degrees F, zero wind, 85% humidity and I pushed a lawnmower for most of the day (self propelled? that broke when the warrantee ran out).....chocolate consumption, 5 said 44 gram servings.....but I didn't eat lunch, so it's OK, right? :)

Our local Kroger had some dark chocolate bars that I never heard of. They had 4 grams of sugar in a 40 gram serving. They were on sale, half price. I guess that they didn't sell well......so, I bought and ate all of them. They were good.

Some of the big names like Godiva and Cadburys have lots of sugar. I saw a dark chocolate bar in Walmart that had 15 grams of sugar in a 40 gram serving.......that's not chocolate, it's chocolate flavored sugar.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.