Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Who loves Chocolate?
Who loves Chocolate?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2017, 04:39 AM   #11
Dude111 is offline Dude111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousymusician
I haven't eaten chocolate in 35 years now, after discovering that it was one of the things triggering the migraines that plagued my childhood.
Ya I used to LOVE M&Ms plain chocolate candies until the year 2000 when Mars changed ALL THIER CANDY to skim milk instead of regular milk...NOW (TO ME) THEY TASTE LIKE CRAP.....
Old 17th July 2017, 04:57 AM   #12
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Who loves Chocolate?
Try Smarties instead. I never liked M&Ms, Smarties thou…

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 17th July 2017, 04:58 AM   #13
picowallspeaker is offline picowallspeaker  Italy
diyAudio Member

Yesternight I went to see a canadian movie , Elephant Song by Charles Binamé
Old 17th July 2017, 05:26 AM   #14
Dude111 is offline Dude111
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10
Try Smarties instead. I never liked M&Ms, Smarties thou…
I have heard of em Dave..... Are they made with reg milk?
Old 17th July 2017, 05:41 AM   #15
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Who loves Chocolate?
From the Nestles website:

Quote:
SMARTIES Ingredients

Milk chocolate (sugar, milk ingredients, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, whey powder, lactose, soya lecithin, polyglycerol polyricinoleate, natural flavour), sugar, wheat flour, modified corn starch, carnauba wax, colour. small candies may pose a choking hazard.
dave
Old 17th July 2017, 10:37 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

so, nothing unnatural in there.

Lindt's 70% is about as "dark" as I want to go

EXCELLENCE Cocoa 70% Ingredients: Cacao solids: 70% minimum. Ingredients: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter, natural bourbon vanilla bean.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:21 PM   #17
Konzentr8 is offline Konzentr8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Deep fried Mars bar , a traditional Scottish delicacy... Elvis would have loved them
Old 18th July 2017, 12:30 AM   #18
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Who loves Chocolate?
me, I love chocolate. Unless it is American - sorry, 90% of it seems to be complete crap. Don't feel bad, Chinese chocolate is even worse. In fact, the Chinese chocolate I eat many years ago was so bad I wouldn't have recognized it as edible. In hindsight it wasn't. American chocolate is only edible when it's coated onto something else.

European chocolate seems to be the best, South American chocolate has real potential.

From the UK it is Cadbury's. However, in Canada the Cadbury stuff is crap. That's because it's American. They bought over Cadbury's and the stuff they make in North America became crap. If you look at the ingredients for Cadbury's in England it used to say 'milk' first, then 'sugar'. The American version says 'sugar' first. The new owners have been meddling with other Cadbury products and each time they do, their customers are able to report that the result is complete crap. I'm not sure why they are so completely clueless but when you're raised on Hershey's you simply have no idea what Chocolate is. You do however get very jealous when you are Hershey's and realize that your chocolate is awful. When Hershey's bought Cadbury's they took legal action to try and prevent people importing the real British Cadburys into the States. That's pretty sad.

Now, chocolate gelato is even better. It transcends most chocolates. Of course, it has Italian influence. That pretty much guarantees a good result doesn't it. Would Cadbury's be sold back to the British, or better to the Italians, we might achieve greatness once more.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 18th July 2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 18th July 2017, 12:41 AM   #19
Joel Wesseling is offline Joel Wesseling  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is the subject of this thread about quality chocolate or candies containing a high sugar/glucose content, questionable adjunct ingredients and a low cocoa content?
Old 18th July 2017, 01:34 AM   #20
Tubelab_com is offline Tubelab_com  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
me, I love chocolate. Unless it is American.....quality chocolate or candies containing a high sugar.....
Unfortunately it seems that the US is far too addicted to sugar, with whatever binding and flavoring necessary to sell it, whether it's chocolate, cola or "food." Now, tell me again, why are we the fattest country in the world?

My almost daily habit is dark chocolate, the real stuff with minimal sugar. My current favorite is Trader Joe's 85% cacao, made in Colombia. It still has 6 grams of sugar in a 44 gram "serving." Who are they kidding? On a hot day like today when I am active I can eat up to 200 grams of the stuff! Today it was 87 degrees F, zero wind, 85% humidity and I pushed a lawnmower for most of the day (self propelled? that broke when the warrantee ran out).....chocolate consumption, 5 said 44 gram servings.....but I didn't eat lunch, so it's OK, right?

Our local Kroger had some dark chocolate bars that I never heard of. They had 4 grams of sugar in a 40 gram serving. They were on sale, half price. I guess that they didn't sell well......so, I bought and ate all of them. They were good.

Some of the big names like Godiva and Cadburys have lots of sugar. I saw a dark chocolate bar in Walmart that had 15 grams of sugar in a 40 gram serving.......that's not chocolate, it's chocolate flavored sugar.

Who loves Chocolate?Hide this!Advertise here!