Frozen Beer mystery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last Fri night, wanting to wash away the weeks woes had a couple of ales. The third one of the six pack was frozen!!! aaagh!!!! Damn, I thought, and purely in the interests of science you understand, I had to test the remaining bottles - all OK. How does a bottle IN THE MIDDLE of a six pack freeze, while the surrounding bottles are OK...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Last Fri night, wanting to wash away the weeks woes had a couple of ales. The third one of the six pack was frozen!!! aaagh!!!! Damn, I thought, and purely in the interests of science you understand, I had to test the remaining bottles - all OK. How does a bottle IN THE MIDDLE of a six pack freeze, while the surrounding bottles are OK...

Cue "Twilight Zone" theme song.. :p I will say very odd...:D

It's summer, 'down there' too, isn't it?

Damn, I thought, and purely in the interests of science ...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

   
in which the term in Ω × vB is the Coriolis acceleration and the term in Ω × ( Ω × rB) is the centrifugal acceleration. The results are (let α = θ − ωt):
  
2ad862d9c180891bb1bb5cd99dd0f16c.png

0d3c5bea52d6b2d3c3738f632e94a2e3.png

producing a centrifugal acceleration:

Also:
39a8fef7d5be3ea2387004c1c12f3201.png

  
producing a Coriolis acceleration:

1deca9eb44de4997c7fb777624af4551.png

5f70eb9b14a61e79c28f6020524e41ae.png

9440b70aa5b4d1cfa3fc7b456add0b3f.png

Figure 5 and Figure 6 show these accelerations for a particular example.

  

Which proves the Frozen Beer, to be no less than a Miracle!

The pressure in the frozen bottle was a smidgin less than the others. The others were probably on the ragged edge of freezing, but had higher pressure, reducing the freezing point slightly. Was it frozen before you popped it?

If you want some science, you'll have to look at a T-S diagram for water.....

Was the middle one the first one you popped?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.