Anyone know where to download movies legally?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you sure?

Also here in Italy, and I think in European Union in general, we pay the same tax on blank media, harddisks, memory cards, mp3 players, etc.

But downloading movies and music is still not legal.

The tax serves as a 'compensation' for the possible illegal use but doesn't makes legal anything....at least here in Europe.

Weird, it acknowledges that most people pirate movies and films. I wonder if the pirate party in EU gets any traction.

The tax serves as a 'compensation' for the possible illegal use but doesn't makes legal anything....at least here in Europe.
To my knowledge, that's not correct. The compensation is for legal use of the media, e.g. copying material that you've bought or recorded from TV or radio to blank media and maybe hand over to your friends (as opposed to copying stuff to people you don't know over the internet). This media 'tax' predates the internet and was introduced with C-cassettes. Of course the industry wants to have the cake and eat it too, by introducing DRM on DVDs, BlueRays and music, while demanding this 'tax' from blank media at the same time.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, that's not correct. The compensation is for legal use of the media, e.g. copying material that you've bought or recorded from TV or radio to blank media and maybe hand over to your friends (as opposed to copying stuff to people you don't know over the internet).

Strictly according to copyright laws even a copy of an original CD would be unauthorized and thus illegal.

Most countries recognize a 'Private copy' right and so it is legal to make a copy of your own CD for use in car or for a MP3 player but some countries recognize a sort of 'compensation' for the infringment of the exclusive right of the author.

A copy is considered 'Private Copy' only if done by the user himself and for personal use; in some countries the original media must be own, in some others not; also country dependent is the right to bypass DRM restrictions.

A file downloaded from P2P networks couldn't be considered 'Private copy' for several reasons:

- Somenone else made the copy
- You don't own the original media (country dependent)
- Is possible that you bypassed DRM restrictions (country dependent)
- in most P2P programs you must share the file you're downloading (Unauthorized distribution)

Approximately 10km off the coast of Somalia?

Heheh!

But anyway, just to clarify.
The EU consists of several more or less independent countries, the EU provide a guideline for some laws, but laws differ between the countries. The Pirate Party is a political party originated in Sweden, it has also triggered some reactions from the fellow minded around the other EU countries.

Here in Norway (Not a part of the European Union, but still part of Europe, and the European Economic Area, we have voted several times whether to join EU or not), where i live, the government law differs slightly from the absurd copyright that the music and movie industry impose. We have legal right to give copies of music and movies that we have purchased, to friends and family. I have used this to expand my FLAC collection, which now consists of 4031 unique songs at the time of writing (increasing rapidly). But the main part so far is just my own CD's that i have ripped personally to FLAC with EAC, took quite a while, still not finished.

Last edited:
Im in NZ, do you not have anti piracy laws? I recall reading something about Canada and piracy a while ago on the web but cant remember what it was.

It's no piracy when you've paid for it!

CPCC/SCPCP

Canada pays the MOST of any country in percentages for royalties (we have 9 collecting societies). The news media slags us because they are the patsies of the recording industry! :mad:

Cheers!

It was the slimeballs in the MPAA trying to force Canada to adopt an even more onerous version of the DMCA by claiming we were the global centre of illegally distributed 'cams': movies made with portable cameras in theatres. Their argument was ironically based on our secondary French national language. I say declare these low-lifes for hire enemy combatants and send them to pick litter above the dew line. Boots and coats for good behaviour after a winter or two.

It's no piracy when you've paid for it!

CPCC/SCPCP

Yes but what we pay for is the 'Private copy':

A copy of a CD we own, a compilation from ours CDs, the MP3 player tracks from our CDs...it could be also a copy of a friend's CD (in some countries)

And it must be done by ouselves for personal use.

Most countries recognize a 'Private copy' right and so it is legal to make a copy...some countries recognize a sort of 'compensation' for the infringment of the exclusive right of the author.
A file downloaded from P2P networks couldn't be considered 'Private copy' for several reasons:

- Somenone else made the copy
- You don't own the original media (country dependent)
- Is possible that you bypassed DRM restrictions (country dependent)
- in most P2P programs you must share the file you're downloading (Unauthorized distribution)

Yes but what we pay for is the 'Private copy':

A copy of a CD we own, a compilation from ours CDs, the MP3 player tracks from our CDs...it could be also a copy of a friend's CD (in some countries)

And it must be done by ouselves for personal use.

Originally that's what ours was too. But Konrad von Finkenstein when he sat as a judge and not a Minister, ruled it applied to downloads too :D

In other words, we fluked out lucky!

It was the slimeballs in the MPAA trying to force Canada to adopt an even more onerous version of the DMCA by claiming we were the global centre of illegally distributed 'cams': movies made with portable cameras in theatres. Their argument was ironically based on our secondary French national language. I say declare these low-lifes for hire enemy combatants and send them to pick litter above the dew line. Boots and coats for good behaviour after a winter or two.

Thankfully we have someone no other country has.... Michael Geist!

:eek:

I see mods eyeing me now for borderlining on politics

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.