My first attempt at a timber deck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Father Christmas delivered some cold, hard cash this year on the proviso that I spend it on the house instead of something sensible like an extra $1500 worth of of cylinder head porting for my V8 or a bunch of KT88's, so I took a break from playing amplifiers did this.

I'm quite chuffed as it didn't turn out too badly, even if I'm just saying so myself. Being able to use the front door instead of walking around the back is a novelty I'm going to have to get used to again, since about 5 or 6 years ago when I got bored one weekend and smashed up the original (ugly) brick and concrete steps up with a sledgehammer.

Used treated structual pine for the frame; 90mmX90mm posts and 140mmX45mm joist. No support comes from the house, althought I did dynabolt the backing board to the bricks just to hold thing stable prior to concreting the posts. The decking timber is 90mmX19mm hardwood (dunno what species, but I'm pretty sure it starts with an 'm'), the right way up (no, the corrugations are not there for grip :rolleyes: ) fastened with stainless steel decking nails. Marking out and drilling all the holes was a tedious pain in the ****, but I figure it's better in then end than a dodgy nail gun job like I've seen on a number of professionally built decks. And I spared the expense of hiring a nail gun.

Just got to to stain it now, after fixing up and repainting the door frame and scraping away that mortar still stuck to the wall which is a remnant of what was there previously. Then I'll rebuild the pergola above with some poly carbonate sheet (was shade cloth previously).

Oh yeah, and these modern handsaws that cut through almost anything like butter - bloody sharp! The old tenon saws from the past used to just give you a scrape unless you were really intent on injuring yourself - not these ones! Fortunately I only managed to expose the top tendon without apparently cutting it. Though the quack said that if someting goes "ping" in the meantime to come back immediately. Pulled some stubborn weeds with the aid of the finger today and nothing went "ping", so I'm not worried. Oh well, I was 9 years overdue for a tetanus shot anyway.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 184
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 181
  • ouch.JPG
    ouch.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.