The Jack Bybee NAQ (Never-Asked Questions)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bentley & bybees

Last week I had the opportunity to take some shots of a Bentley engine.
It looks impressive, though not really sophisticated. I'm missing double overhead camshafts.:sad:
Nevertheless, I was intrigued by one detail: see 2nd picture. ;)

C. E.

Attachments

• BNTL1.jpg
    BNTL1.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 257
  • BNTL2.JPG
    BNTL2.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 254
I was surprised to that DAF trucks don't have a larger market share. They always seemed to be everywhere in Europe.

Off topic:
Probably because DAF makes six cylinder engines exclusively, the fuel economy of these engines over eight or ten cylinder engines is the reason for their succes in Europe. Maybe because fuel economy is less important in the US, or horsepower is more important because of bigger rigs?

Boot It

Thank you so much for explanation. I would never thought of that.
One more question: a shield against what? Perhaps evil quanta?

C. E.

Spark plug shields can have a number of purposes. These purposes include, but are not limited to, the following:

1. Protection from conductive and radiant heat, as when the plug and wire is near manifolds
2. Protection from water
3. Shielding from RFI leakage that could interfere with other elctrical systems in a car

It is not true that all real cars have spark plug shielding. Porsche 911 is but one example, as well as Ferrari. I think that these are real cars.

Dohc

651 HP and no dual overhead cams?

I don't know. Just ask your friend what type of engine is fitted in his Bentley.
AFAIK, the so called "Crewe-built 6.75 litre V8 engine" has simple push rods. OTOH, the Continental GT has a W12 engine (a VW design!) which does have dual overhead cams. Also the Le Mans versions are equipped with DOHCs.

C. E.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
.......the Continental GT has a W12 engine (a VW design!) which does have dual overhead cams. Also the Le Mans versions are equipped with DOHCs.

C. E.

My understanding is that the VW W12 is in effect, 2 of their narrow angle V-6 engines combined. I don't know how- I assume a big new block, but the internals and cyl spacing -from the V-6

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.