R.I.P Soupy Sales

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The statement actually wasn't that bad. It was when he was in New York and it was still winter and cold out. His whole act was actually aimed at teenagers and the fact that it was ostensibly a kid's show just made it more of an in joke.

So he said on New Year's Day that the audience should sneak into their parents' bedroom when they're sleeping and take out the little green pieces of paper and send it off to him, and he'll send them back a nice postcard from sunny Puerto Rico.

The show wasn't really aimed at kids, but some went ahead and did it anyway and it came back on him. When it hit the newspapers, I showed the article to my mother who was fairly strict about broadcasting standards, and even she laughed and thought Soupy shouldn't have been kicked off.

I was well into my teens when Soupy reached his peak in NYC. It definitely was not just a kids show and many if the jokes were way over kid's heads .

Example.........Frank Nastasi knocks on the door,.... Soupy says "Who is it"? Frank says ... "It sure as hell is not Barnacle Bill". It was an obvious reference to the obscene version of Barnacle Bill.
They pushed the censor envelope of the day and many things they said had a definite double meaning. :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.