John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess everybody has gone, but linear circuit design is still chugging along. I'm back to fixing and upgrading my Linn Sondek phono turntable drive system, (I finally gave up and bought a new drive board from Linn), and am contemplating changing the MC cartridge that I am using. The one in the arm now is OK, but after hearing a really nice (unfortunately very expensive) setup that Constellation had at RMAF, I thought it might be time for a sonic upgrade. Vinyl records are certainly alive and available at these hi end shows, and they give a constant record as to how digital playback is doing compared to it. You still have a ways to go guys! '-)

Hi John,
I wished I could have gone to RAMF. I would have definately stopped by the Costillation room but alas it couldn't be. I'm on the home stretch with my jfet/tube cascode frontend driving the LCR circuit. Nothing, not even RAMF, is going to distract me.

I'm a member of the Hollywood Sapphire Group. I did a presentation and sourced mostly first pressings of tunes that some members worked on. I used my proto LCR Gold and played the tunes for the group. The whole point of this is most of the people I played there work for hadn't heard them in all analog for DECADES! They were kind of floored with the sound they created, but had basically forgotten since most of them work in digital these days.

Here is the list,

Supertramp "Take The long Way Home" and Blondie "Rapture" for Lenise Bent.
EWF "Lets Groove" And Lionel Richie "Hello" for Michael Boddicker.
The Fixx "Saved by Zero" for Kevin Gray (Kevin knows what analog sounds like ;) )
The Runaways "Cherry Bomb" for Andy Morris
McCartney "Listen to What The Man Said" for Don Perry

The rest of the crowd were a bit floored too. All this in spite of me using an average DD TT and workhorse Shure M91ed cart.

Last edited:
Morinix, both you and I have recent experience with all analog reproduction, but I'm afraid that most of our critics have lost it. What was so important for me was the direct comparison of all analog, right from the vinyl source, and very high quality digital, I presume about as good as could be set up, by an experienced record engineer with his own reference digital sources. Since the preamp, power amps, and speakers were identical and non-compromised (no Met7's for this comparison) there was still a significant difference in the ultimate quality of the sound, between vinyl and digital. I'm pretty sure that analog mastering tapes could sound even better.

Last edited:
Morinix, both you and I have recent experience with all analog reproduction, but I'm afraid that most of our critics have lost it. What was so important for me was the direct comparison of all analog, right from the vinyl source, and very high quality digital, I presume about as good as could be set up, by an experienced record engineer with his own reference digital sources. Since the preamp, power amps, and speakers were identical and non-compromised (no Met7's for this comparison) there was still a significant difference in the ultimate quality of the sound, between vinyl and digital. I'm pretty sure that analog mastering tapes could sound even better.
I've had the privledge to sit in Kevin Gray's mastering room 3 times. He has played master tapes, well done 2nd gen tapes, all analog test pressings, DSD files the studios send him.....

Once any thinking person hears all of that on his system there is no debate; analog wins hands down. Any digital file suffers loss of width, depth and frequency extension.

The only thing that miffed me was to find out that he had the Buddy Holly masters for the reissues he did for Analog Productions and didn't give me a chance to come down and have a listen. :crying:

Maybe so. But, you can't convince people by telling them about it. People are convinced by their own ears, if they are open to changing their minds at all.

But, let me ask: How do you know that analog doesn't add width, depth, and extension that was never really there to begin with?

Neither format is perfect in most implementations. Tape is not known for be ultra-low distortion, for example.

I can understand how that list sounded better on vinyl.
The Fixx, in particular, with so many synthesized sounds, would benefit from some blending or maybe even harmonizing, something anyways...
When that came out, I still had tube gear, and it sounded amazing to me then, now when I listen it makes me wish I still had that tube gear, turntable...

Status
Not open for further replies.