John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, just look at:

P. J. Duncan, P. Dodds, N. Williams 2008, Audio Capacitors. Myth or reality?, AES 124tth Convention Amsterdam.

P. Dodds, P. J. Duncan, N. Williams 2006, Assessing the effects of loudspeaker crossover components on sound quality, IOA Reproduced sound 22 Proceedings.

Different tests, different protocols, different DUTs, I can't figure out what your point is.

On that note, I remember reading how there was a "major breakthrough" in SQ when some of the significant manufacturers discovered CD ROM drives, started using them in CD players because "they sounded better" - if a theme is truly significant, then there will be variations in all sorts of directions ...

Last edited:
Monitor the supplies to see how much noise or spikes are generated, including the 0V, then you can determine whether there is a problem or not...
Or just rip your CDs to hard drive and remove the problem of reading discs....
Galvonicly isolate the final D to A section from the previous steps, problem solved until some new gremlin is imagined to ruin your listening experience...
Or drink a few cans of Carlsberg Special Brew and enjoy the music and watch the dancing pink elephants (that's what I do).
:)

On the subject of cheap designs in Audio especially digital side, if they work there is no problem, I was equating perceived quality, price etc... The CD player in question I was going to buy myself, but found it cheaper to buy a new PC to use as my music server with all my CD's ripped to the hard drive and the music transmitted wirelessly, better option in my view. Of course now I just have to find a way of combating that digital sound (digitisis I believe you call it)....
Maybe a circuit between the DAC analogue out to the pre-amp to add some wow and flutter, the odd random click and a touch of hiss:D

Last edited:
P. J. Duncan, P. Dodds, N. Williams 2008, Audio Capacitors. Myth or reality?, AES 124tth Convention Amsterdam.

P. Dodds, P. J. Duncan, N. Williams 2006, Assessing the effects of loudspeaker crossover components on sound quality, IOA Reproduced sound 22 Proceedings.

Any link to the PDF's of these papers?

This thread is relevant

Capacitor Testing By ClarityCap

Keep in mind, sound-quality is not magic, it's "electro-mechanical resonance"

According to Duelund, we should coat our wires in a thin layer of cooking oil. That way, they will not "resonate", you know, the ionosphere can't protect us from everything.

Monitor the supplies to see how much noise or spikes are generated, including the 0V, then you can determine whether there is a problem or not...
Or just rip your CDs to hard drive and remove the problem of reading discs....
Galvonicly isolate the final D to A section from the previous steps, problem solved until some new gremlin is imagined to ruin your listening experience...
Or drink a few cans of Carlsberg Special Brew and enjoy the music and watch the dancing pink elephants (that's what I do).
:)

On the subject of cheap designs in Audio especially digital side, if they work there is no problem, I was equating perceived quality, price etc... The CD player in question I was going to buy myself, but found it cheaper to buy a new PC to use as my music server with all my CD's ripped to the hard drive and the music transmitted wirelessly, better option in my view. Of course now I just have to find a way of combating that digital sound (digitisis I believe you call it)....
Maybe a circuit between the DAC analogue out to the pre-amp to add some wow and flutter, the odd random click and a touch of hiss:D

So i have heard , yet CD's ripped to HDD does not sound the same as CD played from a player . There is a difference in playback even with same DAC.

Its not as straight forward as most believe , easy to get it wrong

Last edited:
Scott, is there a tech reason that sound Q in a portable device or cell phone cannot be the best we can do? I understand that you must have a designer who knows his stuff, and good (active) devices/chips/DSPs, but power would probably not really be a limitation, assuming either headphones or streaming output to an audio system.
In other words, if someone wants to really do it, is there a real problem?

jan

No, though the tight SMT boards and watts of RF an inch away is a real challenge. I heard that one manu uses a pair of those limited edition Sennheiser? tube headphones to listen, the one that goes for $30,000 on the used market.

On that note, I remember reading how there was a "major breakthrough" in SQ when some of the significant manufacturers discovered CD ROM drives, started using them in CD players because "they sounded better" - if a theme is truly significant, then there will be variations in all sorts of directions ...

A simple experiment, rip a CD and randomly insert bit errors by throwing away samples and interpolating (not sure of the standard for this). I use third order spline for LP ticks, you would be surprised at how well even those relatively big dropouts (10 or more samples) are hidden. I would bet a diff-maker result for even 1% dropped bits would be in the noise. The correlation to neighbors for single uncorrected samples is huge.

A Wayne if you use a media player which buffers to RAM then there should certainly be zero difference, UNLESS it's the CD audio de-emphasis engine hidden in Windows. :snowman2: !!

Yes , all basic knowledge , yet comparisons suss out otherwise when playing CD's. cabling , HDD type , SOFTWARE used , power source it all makes a difference , somehow high quality CD player is still the best imo for CD Playback...

It amazes me how much can be written about the disagreements about CD sound. From all I have been reading from the past couple of day it would seem that there really shouldn't be an audible difference between all the many flavors of CD playback, single bit or multi-bit but alas that just doesn't seem to be the case. Which reasons are the true factors that cause this are still a mystery to me. Some blame specific D/A converters for these sound differences and how they different digital filtering works but way over my head. I do know I can blind tell the difference in sound between my Sony ES CDP and my Denon, very different sound from each through the same pre and amplifier stages and same speakers. I can believe all the comments about emi radiation and even power supply problems, those make obvious sense in themselves, but the differences in master clocks and all the other esoteric chip level stuff I don't think I will ever truly understand.

Spent the last few days trying everything I could to get my legacy Clio hardware to operate under Widnows 7, no dice, no way will it allow me to install the correct drivers! Had to get out the old server case with XP still on it and no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.