John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacco,
How you describe Fas42 to me sounds like someone who believes based only on faith, no evidence is needed for any belief, just a faith in belief itself. Science and reality has nothing to do with the outcome, you believe what you believe for no other reason, really a religious notion it seems. He and I are of completely different camps, I want evidence and reason in what I do, not belief that a magic potion is going to solve the problem. I guess it is somewhat like claiming that all things that happen are the result of the Illuminati and the rest of us just aren't aware of someones magic powers.

I did not describe Frank (*)
Merely made a shopping list of a number of Frank's facts, analysed it, and drew a rational conclusion (based on catalogued Quack behaviour in a medical vademicum nutshell)

(* well, I did, on several occasions in a week's time, but that was an essential part of the Duck hunt. A side pinch here, a buttock pinch there, a pinch everywhere, and Frank is owned by the Scarlet PimP-ernel. Wrapped in small-talk Jive, and smooth-operator jokes. I get bored sometimes, Frank repeatedly insults the intelligence of the participants of this thread, so I target a sitting Duck)

Frank likely didn't appreciate my Big Brotha and his BB Ho-gun jokey either.
Shaft Theme Song - YouTube

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I think it might be useful to talk about electrical flow, especially in audio equipment. How does the signal pass through a preamp or an amp and what could possibly be problematic, besides the inherent nonlinearity of the active devices?
Also, what is the TRUE NATURE of electron flow, and is it important?
Is OHM's Law all you need?

Jacco,
How you describe Fas42 to me sounds like someone who believes based only on faith, no evidence is needed for any belief, just a faith in belief itself.
Dear o' dear ... just because I acknowledge that some device, object, material can have an impact on the perceived sound, it means that I become fair game. Strangely enough, places like RS and Farnell are full of such things, but they have an approval sticker on them, so it's OK ... ;). Of course, the problem here is that the device is expensive, and the explanation sounds wacko -- which means that under all circumstances it must have zero impact on sound; if it was cheap and had a technically very impressive but ultimately BS explanation for its operation then it would considered legit ...

Objects, materials have impact on sound. This I have found over and over again - my ears tell me what's going on and that's the only thing that has definitive authority as far as I'm concerned. Crap sound is crap sound, and you can wave all the measurement data you like at me that "proves" that what I'm listening to is "correct" - and guess what? It ain't worth sh!t if my ears don't like it ...

Frank, you'll need to provide something more than words thrown around willy nilly. yeah like its the approval sticker that makes 'them' (as yet undetermined) work for people. the approval sticker means it has to pass some test that says it works, otherwise if it doesnt work, yet has some as yet undetermined 'approval sticker' you can do something about that. you are so paranoid, it seems to govern so much of your investigation and is used to justify your results.

its exactly this type of vague assertion that jacco is talking about I think.

Last edited:
Okay, let's go back, waaaay back to what I said ... uuuhhh, only 3 days ago, seems more than that ... :)

Apparently the Bybee does make a difference - enough people have reported such, and I have over and over again done things which "shouldn't make a difference" ... but, they do, so I'm happy to believe that there is "something" to this device.
Yes, it's as simple as that ... the "something" is the core of the matter, and there are plenty of "somethings" in this audio game - in fact, the whole scene stinks of them. There will always be a rational, underlying reason for the "something" but just because they are not fully clear to all and sundry is not a reason for anyone to burst a boiler about it.

Again, certain things cause the sound to change - the intelligent approach is to investigate: at the very least utilise the behaviour you've "discovered"; a following, meaningful activity is to try and understand that behaviour - simply rejecting the phenomenon, because it doesn't fit in with your world view is just a form of bloodymindedness ..

just because...it means that I become fair game.

Frank,

you become fair game, the moment you start a diatribe.
What you still fail to realise or accept, is that the more you post about your inner self, the more you reveal about yourself.
Words are as fingerprints, and less technical/rational ones splatter their DNA around.

Based on reading quite a number of your posts, I can tell a whole lot more about you.
Which would not be respectfull, the topic is/was supposed to be audio & snake oil related.
My intention was not to harass you, but merely to substantiate a point I posted a couple of days ago, #41026.

Naturally, the same story applies to me as well. The truth hurts, Clarice.

Last edited:
No. There are things, for example, called "junctions."
Ah yes, 'magic' behaviours, :) ...

I was answering in the spirit of John's question, which I took to represent the querying that all effectively one ever has is voltages, impedances and currents. Those impedances may be very complex, extremely non-linear, dependent on other voltages and currents, etc ... but, still just an impedance.

I take it that you haven't actually had an engineering course.
Sorry to disappoint you, check my profile ...

The level of literal-mindedness here can be quite something at times - mechanisms like SPICE would be completely useless as a means of understanding and predicting circuit behaviours if they were not able to treat all element behaviours in the fashion as I expressed -- at any time one can express what's going in in terms of voltages, current and complex impedances in these software packages ...

Apparently the Bybee does make a difference - enough people have reported such, and I have over and over again done things which "shouldn't make a difference" ... but, they do, so I'm happy to believe that there is "something" to this device.
It has been said numerous times but bears re-iterating "anecdotal evidence is not evidence at all". Many people can be convinced of anything; we only need to see stories of countries going to war, or the Halle-Bopp comet that was going to take believers off to their nirvana. Similarly, most people used to believe that the Sun moved around the Earth; it appeared that way from anecdotal evidence. It took the application of logic, reason and a sound mind to see otherwise, then show proof.

If the FF devices (see earlier post) actually do something, what is it? Nothing can "treat" individual electrons differently in that media, let alone determine which are the naughty ones, and only allow the nice ones safe passage. I really have difficulty believing that some one can actually believe something as weird as that.

(BTW, I am stunned that you have an EE degree and still come up with some of your posts.)

And I am done this time. This thread is too weird.

Last edited:
Fas42,
I could care less about the cost of something as to whether it has a real affect or not. Cost no object items are included in audio even if they are something I can't afford. But there is a placebo effect to some of the strange devices in this industry and we have to accept that. Now if you took a random resistor and put it in the ac cord or anywhere else in a circuit I could buy that it may make a change to the sound, it does in fact change an electrical circuit by its very nature. But if I say that I am using an anti-gravity magnetic circuit in my speakers are you really going to believe that? I have actually come around to understand some of the phenomena that makes some cables sound different than others though I used to pooh pooh that. Do I believe all the hype of the manufacturers on how it works, no way. When I hear that the Bybee device when opened has something that just disappears into thin air I have a problem with that . Now I guess I could open one in a vacuum chamber and see if there is some element that is detectable that is supposed to vaporize instantly when opened but I will leave that for someone else to do. A flame photometer would answer that question fairly quickly.

Nothing can "treat" individual electrons differently in that media, let alone determine which are the naughty ones, and only allow the nice ones safe passage. I really have difficulty believing that some one can actually believe something as weird as that.

(BTW, I am stunned that you have an EE degree and still come up with some of your posts.)

And I am done this time. This thread is too weird.
The problem is that you're confusing a behaviour with an explanation for that behaviour: the explanation can be absolutely nonsense, the gibberings of an idiot - but if the behaviour exists, that's what counts. Because you're not happy with one person or many people's accounts of the mechanism that does not render the mechanism null and void - I think in the scientific world this process is termed, "discovery" ... ;)

I'm not interested in chestbeating exercises carried out with deadly seriousness, I'm interested in determing what causes the replay of sound to sound good, vs. not good. The foundation is good technical engineering of the components of the system, aided by fine tuning in areas where differences can be measured by what counts, the hearing system. If that is considered "poor" engineering, I can only scratch my head ...

Status
Not open for further replies.