John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, most of these assertions seem to rely on mentioning levels, or locations of noise that have no bearing, or on the equipment you are using having such stupidly low PSRR that mV of ripple causes 'obvious' noise.

of course some of these things are just going to be ground loops caused by bad setup, combined with unnecessarily high and unused voltage gain

The Pass D1 I/V stage deserves a better picture, here it is.

-Alex

Attachments

• Pass D1 IV.png
    Pass D1 IV.png
    67 KB · Views: 195
The 'truth' hurts sometimes. '-)

I dont know what that means, youve already admitted to needing others to test your equipment for you, while I still have reasonably good 17+kHz hearing, I guess it must be those dratted uncooperative, untrained ears.

better ears, plus much better gear, but not enough belief?

the truth does indeed hurt sometimes ...

but i'll leave you to .. whatever it is that you are doing :confused: goodnight

Last edited:
Qusp, I design hi fi equipment for a living. I always rely on either my test equipment or my own listening experience, primarily.
For independent conformation, I rely on professional audio reviewer and customer feedback. Some measurements, I cannot easily make. Including: harmonic distortion below -120dB, FM distortion, and some RF measurements.
My lab equipment is now 20-30 years old. When I can, I will update.
How about you?

Qusp, I design hi fi equipment for a living. I always rely on either my test equipment or my own listening experience, primarily.
For independent conformation, I rely on professional audio reviewer and customer feedback. Some measurements, I cannot easily make. Including: harmonic distortion below -120dB, FM distortion, and some RF measurements.
My lab equipment is now 20-30 years old. When I can, I will update.
How about you?

meaningless when you are talking about magic beads, hearing differences with them and attempting to allude to special hearing that I lack, when the opposite is the case. I dont claim to have amazing hearing, but from what youve said its considerably better than yours. just a matter of fact and it doesnt make me special in any way; just younger.

as is the STAX rig being superior to the midrange units you mentioned a fact. again, not even mine, just a friends who uses fairly average, but good quality heavy duty cord and no bybees, I cant say I felt it lacking in any way, or noticed any abhorrent noises. the dac build capable of -120dB THD+N, not that unusual these days.

I hear a variety of STAX every year, i'm a headphone enthusiast and make a point of going to the Sydney headfi meet every year. I never really likes the Lambda, needs more bass to be natural.

you are right though, very fast top end, airy, but ultimately fatiguing for me anyway. I prefer some of the planars.

Last edited:
yeah what was it? oh yeah second law...

the all silver line cord higher conductivity helps with reducing the interference does it?

I do cover bases here, just in case; but not to silly degrees. I use the Oyaide EE/FS 2.0 (12-gauge solid core copper) in wall power cabling for my cords (not all of them, I like Belden too), bought that in bulk from Japan and wouldnt pay Au retail, no way. Furutech AC Gold male (again, not all). here its hospital connectors, or the next step up comes in $100AUD, bugger all choices for Au AC Males, nothing in between. but the other end I just use the Neutrik Powercon True1 20A connectors.

X 2Y filtering depending on what it is, I dont clamp anything on the cords though

You dont have the patent on audio-nervosa ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.