John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Live music vs. reproduction is also heard as often by what has been left out or by what is missing than by what is added. How do we understand that in measurments? is there a connection here with dither?

Thx-RNMarsh

No point in rehashing 30yr. of theoretical work here. The theory and implementation of dither has a huge body of literature, it would be best to review it before making conjectures about the proverbial low level information.

I've lost count of how many times that term is just thrown out based on feelings as if the technology in question just can't deal with it.

Oldie But A Goodie...

It’s a real piece of engineering. When you will study it in detail, you will be amazed. It has many automatic functions but none of them interferes with the arm or the platter during record playing.
When restored with care, it easily meets it’s excellent specs.
A very good idler.
It has a lot of adjustments and set points but when you will decide to bring it back in life you will understand that it is classes above Dual’s later belt driven turntables.
It was equipped with Shure M91MG-D (spherical). It can take any cartridge with ½” bolt spacing.
PM me for documentation. Don’t proceed without it.

George
Second to all of that.
I used to have one, and it worked especially well except for a bit of bearing rumble.
This turntable has a seriously heavy platter, combined with mounting springs that allowed the whole assembly to float very nicely....very handy when living in a wooden floored house.

Dan.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No point in rehashing 30yr. of theoretical work here. The theory and implementation of dither has a huge body of literature, it would be best to review it before making conjectures about the proverbial low level information.

You're correct.. I should not conjecture. just state the test results. Dither works well to obscure the low level tones and make them into benign noise.

The question may be harder to address/answere? --> How to test for music sounds which are described as if missing information in music playback.

Thx-RNmarsh

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

I've lost count of how many times that term is just thrown out based on feelings as if the technology in question just can't deal with it.

Remember TL's diatribe against it. :D

You're correct.. I should not conjecture. just state the test results. Dither works well to obscure the low level tones and make them into benign noise.

The question may be harder to address/answere? --> How to test for music sounds which are described as if missing information in music playback.

The fascinating thing about dither is that low level tones (below the dither's level) are preserved, and can be heard to the same extent, via our critical band internal filtering, as they would be with any other noise of the same level and spectral distribution as the dither. It's PFM and that's no lie.

Thanks,
Chris

This is key for me -- at the hifi show a lot of the systems screamed, well, "hifi" to me, a bit like a kid getting an old bomb of a car, doing the exhaust and lairy paint job, and thinking that was going to impress a few people. Only a few were able to get past that, and only one was able to do it with effortless performance.

Most Hi Fi eqipment is:

1) Not immune to mains / earthline grunge.

2) Contributing to mains / earthline grunge.

So for most hifi equiptment, a hifi show might well be the worst possible place to do demos.

I'm guessing some of the equipment that screams at hifi shows will scream a lot less in places with clean mains or with mains conditioners.

Point I'm making is that it isn't really a level playing field comparing your "at home" sound to what is commonly heard at shows.

mike

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Thank you Dan.
For people who own one:
Check if it is a true rumble (of mechanical origin) or noise is of electrical origin.

Likely mechanical issues:
1m. Idler. Check rubber for condition and friction diameter for unevenness/craze. (Idler is chamfered at it’s edges when new). Replace.
2m. Platter axle & roller bearing. Clean, relubricate
3m. Electric motor.
Elastic mounts. Check condition.
Motor axis. Dismantle motor,clean/relubricate bearings.

Likely electrical issues:
1e. Contact plate/sliding tags at the rear of plug-in cartridge headshell. Deoxidize, clean, check for firm contact.
2e. Muting switch contacts (enclosed, located below chassis). Deoxidize, clean, check for proper operation of spring mechanism.
3e. Cartridge-leads female plugs. Clean, tighten.

The weak point of these turntables is 1e, 2e.
They had good reasons at that time to do it the way they did.
If you cater for 1e, 2e issues, this TT unmodified, is a keeper.

Today, if you don’t use the record changer, you can bypass the muting switch. If you don’t exchange cartridges for different records, you can bypass the Contact plate/sliding tags.
By straight-through wiring a good cartridge to preamplifier, the TT seats above many $ rivals.

1229 is identical, featuring in addition to 1219 a hidden (at the lower side of the platter) stroboscope disk, the image illuminated through a circular glassy window at the plinth

George

Remember TL's diatribe against it. :D

I am also frustrated by the article in the current Linear Audio on "hi-res" formats. Presenting physically impossible signals or ones that violate Nyquist as an argument for anything is a bad start. The dither and low low level tramsient arguments usually started with improper/no anti-aliasing on the input. First cycle distortion. :mad:

TL was right about one thing, by and large the industry has settled on some pretty bad AD/DA chips for even some above average gear. Reminds me of VHS players, circa 1985 you could get serious quality from the better ones and long before the medium died it was hard to find a quality recorder.

Another example. I had an Edirol UA5 external AD/DA years ago and was very happy with it THD and artifacts way down on both record and play. I rescently tried a supposedly SOTA external DA from China and it clipped on a SONY test CD of full scale test signals as well as barely making -90dB THD.

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
TL was right about one thing, by and large the industry has settled on some pretty bad AD/DA chips for even some above average gear.

Scott, I think A/D is for audio far more important than cartridges.
Is it possible to explain what you mean by “some pretty bad AD/DA chips”.
Does it have to do with multibit/one bit decision or what?

George

PS. Who is TL ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
So for most hifi equiptment, a hifi show might well be the worst possible place to do demos.
True, but I see a lot of fancy power conditioners in audio show demo rooms. How well they work, I can't say, but at least some people are taking steps to fix the problem. You'll see some battery power, too.

. Reminds me of VHS players, circa 1985 you could get serious quality from the better ones and long before the medium died it was hard to find a quality recorder.
A very good analogy, Scott. We sometimes blame the medium, when it fact it's just bad gear. At the shop we still have an object of fetish, a Sony Pro SVO-5800 S-VHS deck that cost several thousand dollars new. It's simply amazing. Used as a record/playback deck it rivals DVD quality. Even playing back commercially recorded tapes it looks better than you ever thought VHS could.

VHS is not a wonderful medium, but done right, it looks better than you ever thought it could. Much better. That comes at a high price, tho.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
True, but I see a lot of fancy power conditioners in audio show demo rooms.

And outrageous obsession with main's power distribution.

George

Attachments

• Insanity.JPG
    Insanity.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 162
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am also frustrated by the article in the current Linear Audio on "hi-res" formats. Presenting physically impossible signals or ones that violate Nyquist as an argument for anything is a bad start. The dither and low low level tramsient arguments usually started with improper/no anti-aliasing on the input. First cycle distortion. :mad:

TL was right about one thing, by and large the industry has settled on some pretty bad AD/DA chips for even some above average gear. Reminds me of VHS players, circa 1985 you could get serious quality from the better ones and long before the medium died it was hard to find a quality recorder.

Another example. I had an Edirol UA5 external AD/DA years ago and was very happy with it THD and artifacts way down on both record and play. I rescently tried a supposedly SOTA external DA from China and it clipped on a SONY test CD of full scale test signals as well as barely making -90dB THD.

Well, I think the execution in most cases to blame. I bought a DAC here in Taiwan. The chassis earth was made to the case via the torroid mounting bolt . . .

Who knows what goes on on the PCB's and the output buffers. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.