OK, once again, here is the minimum, and then the more versatile version:

Attachments

• 4Q-min.jpg
    4Q-min.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 294
  • 4Qnew1.jpg
    4Qnew1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 296
Of course there is the 'folded cascode version, which I use with Vendetta and the CTC Blowtorch, but it is actually easier to look at this basic (not primitive) version of the 4Q input stage, and learn what each of the resistor sets do. Here, for example, is a more typical approach that I use with Parasound and Constellation.
First the original, second the typical:

Attachments

• 4Qnew1.jpg
    4Qnew1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 290
  • 4Q aka JC-2.jpg
    4Q aka JC-2.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 280
Buzzforb, your questions are revealing.
First, some resistors give feedback, others give bias, some do both. The only obvious resistor function on the input is the variable pot.
It can, acting alone, control the total current of the entire 4 devices, forcing the n channel pair current to match the p channel pair current, due to the fact that there is no ground reference, and the only place for the current in all 4 devices to flow, is with the variable pot, YET the bias pot is not really necessary, just a convenience.
(By the way, I will talk about locally connected cascodes later, SY.)

This version uses the 1K 'load' resistors also as feedback resistors.
What is missing is the BIAS resistors. This simple design runs on the Idss of the input devices and there is NO control their current, so extreme selection would be necessary if we used the design this way, BUT it is the most simple way to show it in full 4 Quadrant symmetry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.