John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sy and John,
Here I have to agree with you and at the same time point out that on this site there are really two camps. Those that use engineering and design and those who I was just informed the other day tweak and nothing more. I tried to point out to someone the other day that just rolling op-amps in a circuit made no sense as none of them had been optimized for their particular use and was told that they didn't care. If a particular op-amp sounded different in a particular application that was reported as either meaning a device was good or bad and that was all they cared about whether this was all subjective or not did not phase them. The same with those changing capacitors at will and never checking the actual value besides on the wrapper and saying one was better than another based on cost and fancy marketing.

In this thread I do expect better, and I expect to see a reasoned explanation of why and how something is used in a particular way. I tried to point at some details about speaker design to a purveyor of high dollar speakers on this site and was told why would I care what was happening on a macro level, I only care what I can measure in the far field and damn what happens before that! This same designer said that all compression drivers are the same, they are only commodity devices and can be interchanged at will. Some don't even want to look for the forest let alone the trees........

Do you have that in log frequency? (I know, I'm a pain)

I'm not sure of the relevance of crosstalk- after all, phono cartridges rarely have more than 20dB or so and their imaging isn't terribly compromised. Is there data showing audibility of, say, 40dB of crosstalk?

What's the crosstalk of a pair of loudspeakers in a listening room without a dividing panel between them?

se

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ditto, looks like a typo.

Funny, I thought I got that idea from Nelson, but I can't find the source now.:confused:

Maybe I just extrapolated from the inverting version, which he showed here in the "7 Easy Pieces" thread.

Not a typo, just a variation of another schematic in "& Easy Pieces"

:cool:

Attachments

• GC-VAR-BAL-FDBK-1a.jpg
    GC-VAR-BAL-FDBK-1a.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 369
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It appears that you guys can't even agree on how to make a buffer. '-)

That's why I'm personally fishing for info on the noise gain technique, I'm not going discrete on this, to many stages.

A note on IC op amps:
It is almost impossible to effectively recommend a specific op amp, unless you know the conditions that it is being used.
For example:
Is the drive Z low, medium, or high?

Well, if your interested...all opamps driven from a very low impedance.

Is the output load resistance low, medium or high?

Lets say its for a low impedance version. Peak opamp currents could reach around 27ma at full output swing worst case (but see below)

What is the output swing that is necessary, and what are the available power supply voltages?
Is this application for battery operation?
I know it sounds simple, but nobody here DEFINED the problem, before entering their choices, AND your choices are all over the map. '-)

Required swing is much below rail voltage. Put it this way... the power amp considered has a sensitivity of around 200mv RMS for full output. Supplies for opamps either -/+15 or 18v

Not a typo, just a variation of another schematic in "& Easy Pieces"

:cool:

Thanks for clarifying

Not All Headphones Are Junk...

Most headphones don't have even 40 dB of separation. Simple arithmetic- driver is 32 Ohms, common ground lead is 1/2 Ohm at best (people really don't like stiff wire on headphones), usually more like 1 Ohm.
Not all headphones run common ground....most better quality headphones run a Y-lead with 4 conductors.....Dr Dre Beats headphones run common ground...:rolleyes:

Dan.

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I'm not sure of the relevance of crosstalk- after all, phono cartridges rarely have more than 20dB or so and their imaging isn't terribly compromised. Is there data showing audibility of, say, 40dB of crosstalk?

According to Toole, experimental data on localizing a loudspeaker in a stereo pair via SPL only (not timing differences) shows that most listeners perceive 100% of the sound coming from one speaker when the level difference is just 13dB, at the frequencies of highest aural acuity. I'll try to find the reference.

I used this once to argue that a very cheap powered speaker with rather high crosstalk between channels of a integrated amplifier chip was nonetheless good enough. The interesting thing was the spurious signal was not at the fundamental, but was almost all distortion.

For studio apps of course one will wish to do much better, but those who go on about how much better the imaging is with the crosstalk 80dB instead of 60 etc. are likely to be disappointed in A/B tests.

When one looks at the phono crosstalk other interesting things emerge, including sometimes a hint of image size change due to a little crosstalk cancellation. Note that most crosstalk measurements don't look at phase. And when signal processing is done intentionally to play with the imaging, the standard measurements are ill-suited.

Most headphones don't have even 40 dB of separation. Simple arithmetic- driver is 32 Ohms, common ground lead is 1/2 Ohm at best (people really don't like stiff wire on headphones), usually more like 1 Ohm.

Most headphones don't have a common ground lead. So you've just got the common ground contact resistance in the TRS plug/jack which is typically about an order of magnitude less than half an ohm.

And the wire in my headphone cables is just a tad larger than 21 gauge and they're extremely flexible as well as very lightweight.

se

Not all headphones run common ground....most better quality headphones run a Y-lead with 4 conductors.....Dr Dre Beats headphones run common ground...:rolleyes:

Do they? Damn. Not even the $7 Monoprice earbuds I had go through here a while back had a common ground. Nor the cheap piece of crap Nova 43 on-ear headphones from Radio Shack that I pulled out of my junk drawer.

se

According to Toole, experimental data on localizing a loudspeaker in a stereo pair via SPL only (not timing differences) shows that most listeners perceive 100% of the sound coming from one speaker when the level difference is just 13dB, at the frequencies of highest aural acuity. I'll try to find the reference.

That was the number I remembered, but I couldn't recall where it came from, thanks. Frankly, that's something like ultra-low THD that I've just never sweated in electronics.

I've had some hypotheses about cartridges actually exaggerating spaciousness, but no real data to back them up.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
That was the number I remembered, but I couldn't recall where it came from, thanks. Frankly, that's something like ultra-low THD that I've just never sweated in electronics.

I've had some hypotheses about cartridges actually exaggerating spaciousness, but no real data to back them up.
I'm still suggesting to Floyd that he republish some very old articles about phono playback he did for a Canadian magazine. I think I saw that bit about crosstalk cancellation in one of them.

He's rather down, in general, on two-channel these days, and having experienced the excellent acoustics of Disney in large part due to his generosity, I can see his point of view, even though I'm pretty happy listening to simple stereo.

A bit odd that, even at a thread with engineering appeal, all talk is about the 'best' opamp.
I was going to say the same.
(despite that I get BP's, that somewhere somehow fell out off the truck, for €5/pc).
I hope you know how to distinguish the real ones from the fakes that are floating around. I've gotten some in the past even from the "reputable audiophile parts dealer".

Do they? Damn. Not even the $7 Monoprice earbuds I had go through here a while back had a common ground. Nor the cheap piece of crap Nova 43 on-ear headphones from Radio Shack that I pulled out of my junk drawer.

se

If you have ears like your avatar, I guess you are stuck with ear buds....I don't know of any headphones that would fit over those wingnuts. :tongue:

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.