John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think John is saying that everyone in a Western university emerges as a highly competent objective scientist/engineer (whatever their discipline), but sadly they have lost their artistic side as a result.
I wonder how anybody or anything is able to destroy the artistic side of someone. It is like the air we need to breath.

I don't know for US, but, in France, University and high schools are just places for the system can chose the most formated and docile servants with the minimum of required knowledge and methods to be efficient, never asking questions.
People you can replace one by an other.
Here, you can have aceess to the knowledge, but it is your curiosity and own understanding whitch will help you to build your own muscles from it. And for methods, you'll have to discover your owns.

Today, in order to get your diploma, you need to be an actor, make believe you apply blind and do not think by yourself.
My son, which study laws in Paris university had made (asked for) a critical comment of a judgment of the court of Cassation. Documented, argued and elegant. The comment of the teacher, in margin, was: "Who do-you think you are" !!!!!
If i meet this guy, i'll shoot him a punch in his face.

Christophe,
I think it takes a special teacher to allow their students to be creative and question the rote learning that we are expected to do. I once had an online business class where we as a group had to write a paper on a subject of our choice. I came up with and idea that everyone agreed to. We wrote a complete paper about the workers at Disney Land and how they had to follow certain rules while working in the public's eye. The entire paper was written tongue in cheek and we didn't have any idea what the teacher was going to say. Needless to say we all scored an "A" grade, the teacher was so impressed that we not only completed the assignment but made it fun, it was a paper that would just make you laugh but we met all the requirements. Some teacher are just so rigid in what they expect that creativity would just get you a failing grade. They don't want anything but conformity, that is the bane of so many students and one reason so many just drop out. Just learning facts does not make a great student or a great teacher!

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Christophe,
I think it takes a special teacher to allow their students to be creative and question the rote learning that we are expected to do. I once had an online business class where we as a group had to write a paper on a subject of our choice. I came up with and idea that everyone agreed to. We wrote a complete paper about the workers at Disney Land and how they had to follow certain rules while working in the public's eye. The entire paper was written tongue in cheek and we didn't have any idea what the teacher was going to say. Needless to say we all scored an "A" grade, the teacher was so impressed that we not only completed the assignment but made it fun, it was a paper that would just make you laugh but we met all the requirements. Some teacher are just so rigid in what they expect that creativity would just get you a failing grade. They don't want anything but conformity, that is the bane of so many students and one reason so many just drop out. Just learning facts does not make a great student or a great teacher!
Great teachers are as rare, if not rarer, than anyone else. And they are usually undercompensated, especially when compared to the mediocre ones. But again this is true of most every field of endeavour.

I once read of a physics teacher who proudly declared that she insisted on her pupils always using the correct terminology: 'reflected'/'refracted' rather than 'bounced'/'bent'. That made me sad. Knowing the right words is always important, but knowing what they mean is far more important. Modern exams, with their rigid marking schemes, encourage this misguided approach.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Trinkets? Where have I promoted 'trinkets'. Do you mean that I have defended 'tweaks' or 'trinkets' made by others? Yes, I defend the right to try anything that might improve audio reproduction, EVEN if I can't make sense of it from my education and experience. I call it: "Keeping an open mind" perhaps others call it something else.

How about tweaking the listener/designer to (hopefully) improve the listening experience :)

It always seems a cruel twist of fate that as we are more able to enjoy our passion as we get older, our faculties, re hearing, inevitably declines. So I wondered if anyone had ever tried trying to improve/train their hearing by listening to ever quieter tones ? For example sweeps from 1k to 4k, 4k to 6k, 6k to 8k ever upwards and sometimes combining them, one falling while the other rising. Tones buried in white noise, tones buried in pink noise. All played back at just above your hearing threshold via ear buds or phones. Try it. Not just for a day or a week or a month or a year... make a few minutes time for it each and every day. Notice how much more receptive your hearing is when you wake and its quiet. It works for me, and it is as "a legitimate" tweak as any.

Mooly,
The day I start listening to just test tone or sweeps I will be giving up music, it wouldn't be fun anymore. I have to listen to enough log chirps when testing loudspeakers that I am surely not going to listen more than I have to! If I am testing my hearing that is one thing, but what point are you trying to make with that? Are you attempting to teach yourself how to identify a dip or peak in a test tone, or for what purpose?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Mooly,
The day I start listening to just test tone or sweeps I will be giving up music, it wouldn't be fun anymore. I have to listen to enough log chirps when testing loudspeakers that I am surely not going to listen more than I have to! If I am testing my hearing that is one thing, but what point are you trying to make with that? Are you attempting to teach yourself how to identify a dip or peak in a test tone, or for what purpose?

The purpose is to train your ears to hear and differentiate the quietest of sounds.

Great teachers are as rare, if not rarer, than anyone else.
I had a literature teacher, friend of the poet "Max Jacob" and the painter "Modigliani". He was cultivating our love for arts, basting our little talents like a farmer watering his roses. He taught-me half of all what i know: "Years of analysis for one hour of synthesis". "Thesis, antithesis, synthesis, conclusion". He had formed my mind, built my frame. I send you back your love, Joseph Peyrard, whatever the heaven in which you are.

I had a teacher of physics and mathematics, called "the cat", very sevère and funny, pointing out the beauty of formulas, the harmony of the universe, the 'groove' of a beautiful and styled mathematic demonstration written with elegant style.
How was-it possible you annotated my report card with those few words: "Have interest in electricity."
You had demonstrated by the absurd that death does not exists, you cannot be wrong.
I send-you back your kind and poetic irony, "The Cat", whatever the heaven in which you are, i ow-you half of my professional life.

A literature teacher witch had tough-us the method and the rigor in art, a mathematic teacher the fun in science... Both in concern with...beauty.

My other teachers ? i'm near unable to remember any, i was sleeping during the classes or reading novels out of the program.

Last edited:
Molly,
My kids learned real early on that no matter how quit they were, no matter how tired I was, that they could not enter a room without me waking up! I do hear very soft sounds, it is just that the background noise in the city is fairly loud. I live in the Hills away from the major noise of the city and it is nice and quit here so I can again here the slightest sounds.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I think the idea of listening at low levels is a very good one. In another sensory modality, I've noticed that when I have to work with limited magnification on SMD assemblies, my vision starts to improve, some accommodation being restored.

Besides the deteriorating security issues though, the principal reason I need to move, when I can afford to, is to get to a quieter place. The levels around here are so ridiculous that I sometimes start to laugh at the absurdity.

I'd love to be in the mountains, except for fires and the need for a four-wheel-drive vehicle when there's serious weather.

bcarso,
Canoga Park is a security risk! Now if you said some parts of Van Nuys I would understand but Canoga Park? I live up on the top of the hills in Laurel Canyon, you can look at the top of the hill from your house and see the radio tower right above my house. More rf than you would ever want to deal with. But it is fairly quite here most of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.