John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
That is a hell of a lot cheaper than they go for here as a rule. 2010 is a decent vintage but avoid 2011 and 2012 like the plague!

This is an unusually good deal I think; even here the average price for the wine (Wild Rock, "Cupid's Arrow" ) according to some online info being about 19 US. I got a case and may even get some more if any is left. I will find out what Floyd and Sean think tomorrow, hoping that they taste it early and not after substantial additional vino. As much as both counsel double-blind testing, we are a good deal less rigorous at casual dinners :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Specifically in regard to supplying voltage rails to a circuit with poor intrinsic PSRR, that has other admirable properties so you proceed in using that topology. Even if there is very high current draw there are ways of making the rails exceedingly stiff, at all frequencies that count, at the points in the circuit where it matters. All already out there, and there are smart ways of doing it, that don't need to be super expensive.

Frank

yes, I know.
My Points -
1. My favorite current-mode fb amps get demerits for low PSR. They dont need to have high PSRR if the PS is done well.
2. Its most important that D-M changes on the PS be reduced with most amps especially Current-Mode amps.
3. Dual Tracking Reg supplies are yet another effective means to accomplish 1 & 2, above. And, are superiour in many aspects.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Contradiction ?

Good sound every time ?
Again, this is all a learning exercise: I've assembled and fiddled with a number of weird and wonderful "devices" exploring things; getting good sound every time is the ultimate goal, and the idea of the current "beast" was seeing if bottom of the barrel electronic gear could do a good enough job. It's proven that this is indeed possible, but is not in a fit state, as is, to even be moved from its current location.

I get good sound if I eliminate interference the crude way, that is, switch off or move away all electrical gear that's causing a problem. So then I know what quality of sound I can get with a clean environment; the trick is to be able to generate that electronic peace in a totally localised way, to be able to have an electrical "riot" right next to the components with no effect on the sound. Compared to what it was like earlier on it's dramatically better at rejecting interference now, but is still susceptible. Probably going for much better shielding will do the job, but it will be very messy, and tedious to set up at the moment ...

The key is that once you know how good the sound can get you have an excellent aiming point from then on to work towards, you're not stumbling around in the fog any more unsure whether you getting better sound, or just different sound ...

Frank

1/f Noise, Brownian Noise Audible Effects....

Perhaps this subject should be given it's own thread, however since there are so many high calibre participants here I pose the question...
What are the deep implications and effects of the likes of 1/f noise and Brownian noise in typical audio stages/sytems, and additionally in RF reciever stages and systems.

Dan.

Fas42, I also have a 'bit of a mess' for a hi fi playback system, yet I get results out of it, on occasion, that even shocks ME.
My best sound reference on a regular basis is FM radio. Every saturday and sunday, 'A Praire Home Companion' comes over the local National Public Radio' for two solid hours of the best FM programming possible, both technically and actually for appreciation of the audio arts. This week had an Opera Singer, some lovely folk groups, with a mean fiddle (not really violin, but fiddle) and this show usually has some really high quality natural singers, who remind us of what it possible vocally. Human female voice is my best clue to 'natural sound' that I know of. Of course, the show is digitally taped, stored and transmitted thousands of miles, but IT STILL SOUNDS REALLY GOOD! It shows what CAN be possible, rather than what people can get away with.
When it comes on, I turn on my main system with with the WATT's and a subwoofer, Parasound amp, a BLOWTORCH preamp, sourced by a modified SONY FM tuner.
Do I listen all the time this way? No, I am happy with a pair of computer speaker-amps and a portable SONY FM radio. Why not? News and discussion don't need hi fi, and it saves electricity, and disturbs the neighbors less in early mornings and late evenings.
Could I do better? YES. But the cost/hassle ratio is just too much for me at this time. If I were 30 years younger, I would upgrade in a minute, I have the extra cash, but who do I need to impress?
Just last week, a pair of WATT3's with Puppy woofers were made available to me at a discounted price, but I decided not to go for it.
15 years ago, I would have just about 'killed' for this combination that I found the most musical of the WATT series, as heard at the house of a colleague of mine, back then. Now, it would be just slightly better (to me) but then I am getting old.
The Sony F1 tuner had to be modified to sound OK, but IF I can get it together, I want to get my Marantz 10 tuner back in operation. IT SOUNDS WONDERFUL (when working), and I hope to replace the filter caps to get it back in operation. Just haven't gotten around to it. BUT it is a better sounding tuner than the even modified Sony, that runs rings around an unmodified one. In time I hope also to replace my aging Parasound power amp with something better, as well. I have heard better in my system.
Yet with all this, I have spent most of my time listening to an old Sony Walkman with some cheap headphones, and really enjoying a new format rock FM station that I recently found. Yes, rock and roll often is not always best friends with really good hi fi, and as some have described it here, is often made with lots of 'second rate' equipment and compromised signal paths, YET the essence gets through with a pair of cheap headphones, because it was made to do that, and that is the major audience for it. It is like another listening experience, with 'forgiveness' being useful, and stereo being absolutely necessary. Fascinating!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I referenced Henry Ott decades ago in an article I published. A great overview source book.
A more thorough and detailed source on EMI/RFI used by industry are the series of volumes put out by (they do on-site training - I've attended) Don White and Assoc. The 'bible' standard for 50 years.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Max Headroom said:
Perhaps this subject should be given it's own thread, however since there are so many high calibre participants here I pose the question...
What are the deep implications and effects of the likes of 1/f noise and Brownian noise in typical audio stages/sytems, and additionally in RF reciever stages and systems.
In audio systems 1/f can be the dominant noise.

In RF systems it can usually be ignored, with two exceptions:
- oscillators
- GaAsFETs, which have an unusually high 1/f corner frequency so unlike most RF devices get more noisy at lower frequencies so not much point in using them below UHF

getting good sound every time is the ultimate goal
Insisting so much on this point, it seems that you really have a problem. Apart electronic slight differences due to temperature stabilization, and acoustic ones due to humidity, air pressure changes, or people in the room, i can't imagine my system to sound different one day from an other. And all those effects does-not deeply affect the body of the reproduced music.

Some part is oscillating, or at the limit ? The whole system cabling is asymmetrical, and not cabled in an optimized way with correct cables (a good practice: twisted shielded pair with earth not connected at the input), sens of the AC plugs not chosen for the minimum AC leakage ? A poor contact somewhere (yes it happens) ? Are-you leaving near a big radio emitter or your AC power heavily contaminated or insufficient ?
Or is-it some audiophile disease, listening to your system instead of the music, trying to find problems ?

One way to ensure you are free from this last very dangerous disease is to look at your system, Dr House way:
Any special suspension or golden cones on solid-state pure electronic devices ? Any exotic audiophile cables around ? Any mysterious devices like the Bybee stuff, a color layer applied with a pen at the edge of the CDs ? Any audiophile reviews in your library ?
If you only have one of these symptoms, it can still be cured. If more than one, you're doomed.

Doesn't everybody know Henry Ott's books, etc?
I do not. But i have a hole between Steinbeck and Hemingway in my library.

Last edited:
Colored pens, why not?
Yes, when you read a cd, you water the disk with photons. Some of them bounces on the imperfections of the surface. Then, After several bounces, they flow away on the transparent edge. There is musical details inside which are lost. Darkening the edge of the record will keep them inside, so you don't lose musical details. Of course the color of the pen has to be harmonious with the one of the laser. If not, there is a risk for even harmonics. That is because there are distorted photons inside too. The right color filter the good ones from the bad ones, Bybee style.
Too there is light that leak from outside because the CD player is not totally lightproof. They can enter the CD by the edges. The dark edges prevent this.

John, you are a mystery for the science. How can-you survive with such a level of those audiophile diseases and continue to apply the Ohm's law in a correct way ?
Yoruba, leaves this body!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.