John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different Kind Of Bopping...

loving the veiled threat btw, is that the last resort? stylish... you do understand the term 'Bop' right?

Nah, no threats intended, more a note that if I can find the time it might be interesting to get together with Jeremy and compare notes of what we have been doing behind the scenes....I would likely bring beer or his choice of poison to Woody Point and enjoy some geek quality time and do some 'bopping' ....why not ?.

Dan.

Another example of JC-3 position in marketplace:

Attachments

• jc3 22.jpg
    jc3 22.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 181
haha Dan, OK mate, lets save this discussion for that day :cheers: too easy to be off base in these situations online with no facial cues; especially having never met.

I cant explain everything I observe in my system either, but if its positive I try not to offer technical explanations and accept that its probably best in those situations to sit back and enjoy the ride. I dont have the equipment to objectively test subjective phenomena at the low levels of error my system is capable of anyway.

Last edited:
Frank, the only closed minds here are the ones not willing/too embarrassed to change their position in the face of obvious and exhaustive proof its a scam (even before cracking one open). Subjective response is perfectly valid as long as it is accepted as such. The problems start when 'technical' justifications are made, but claimed to be beyond current testing methodologies and equipment, while being audible.
Too far away from any of the other mob ... just west of Sydney ... ;)

I agree, the BS content in their propaganda does all of these devices and tweaks no favours, but I guess many people can only rest easy with a purchase if there is an explanation, no matter how nonsensical, for why it may do good. I'm certainly personally "victim" of finding that doing seemingly irrelevant things makes a difference, and I have scratched my head to the point of bleeding, so to speak, trying to work out what's going on. Getting there, but the answers most certainly "don't come easy".

And part of the battle is that it will quite a bit of organisational effort to enable something like Diffmaker to come up with significant evidence ... aiming to do something like that when I procure an infamous Round Tuit ... :usd:

I'm familiar with the Stones Studio products, at WES; solid, ordinary speaker engineering, I would treat his opinion seriously ...

Frank

Are Ferrite EMI filters Useful At Audio Frequencies...

Where would you get that curious (and totally incorrect) idea?

http://www.tdk.co.jp/tefe02/e9b12_rh.pdf
Ok the data sheet graphs show measurements from 1Mhz and up. I have seen other graphs going lower in frequency, and the impedence close to nil at lower frequencies.

Dan.

Perth to Brisbane - Eyre Hwy 4,405 km, 46 hours.

Frank, agreed. I guess I just struggle with the idea of second/third/forth/fifth party DIYers searching for/discovering the real reason for an effect the manufacturer of an expensive product isnt aware of... a reason that is not the fantastic reason put forth by that manufacturer. that manufacturer has made obvious effort to make it look special (laser welding gold leads to a cheap resistor for an upgrade?) and makes the typical hyper-technological super secret claims, with language designed to baffle.

if it smells like ********, its probably ********

Last edited:
Too far away from any of the other mob ... just west of Sydney ... ;)
That's not out of possibilities either...I will be taking my musician/geek son for a long drive across Aus....show him a heap of places and meet a few rellies and friends in Qld and NSW.

And part of the battle is that it will quite a bit of organisational effort to enable something like Diffmaker to come up with significant evidence ... aiming to do something like that when I procure an infamous Round Tuit ... :usd:
Nah, don't need a tuit, just a super stable master clock and suitable HQ converter.

I'm familiar with the Stones Studio products, at WES; solid, ordinary speaker engineering, I would treat his opinion seriously ...
Frank
Yes, I am well familiar with WES for the past 25 years.....in discussion Russell seems a well experienced no nonsense kind of guy....I value his opinions also.

Dan.

kgrlee wrote:And of course there are the true 'Elite' like JC who don't even have to listen to a product to tell you what it sounds like. They can do it by simply looking at the price tag and the labels on the evil OPAs. :eek:

Must you continually beset us with this leaden sarcasm in nearly every post. My god it's annoying.

Last edited:
I cant explain everything I observe in my system either, but if its positive I try not to offer technical explanations and accept that its probably best in those situations to sit back and enjoy the ride. I dont have the equipment to objectively test subjective phenomena at the low levels of error my system is capable of anyway.
I reckon this is where the real action is - it's the turf that John works on as well. I've made the progress that I have by "grabbing" those moments ... saying, 'OK, what the hell's going on here', trying first of all to duplicate the conditions which made the behaviour occur, to be able to reproduce the 'positive' sound character at will. First step, get a really good handle on what makes it happen, and then a much later step, a long way down the track if necessary, "formulate a theory" as to what it's all about ...

Frank

Max, while the ferrite cores look a good deal like the parts in the Bybee Purifier, but they are NOT the same material at all. For example, the purifier body is NON-MAGNETIC.
Thanks John, I am well familiar with the construction of the BQP from posts here, and other places, and I am well aware that no ferrite is present, nor other magnetic elements in the 'active' part.
My point of bringing up the ferrite filters is the test methodology....directly applicable to BQP also.

Dan.

Knowing The Unknowable...

I reckon this is where the real action is - it's the turf that John works on as well. I've made the progress that I have by "grabbing" those moments ... saying, 'OK, what the hell's going on here', trying first of all to duplicate the conditions which made the behaviour occur, to be able to reproduce the 'positive' sound character at will. First step, get a really good handle on what makes it happen, and then a much later step, a long way down the track if necessary, "formulate a theory" as to what it's all about ...

Frank

+1...I fully concur, been there done that for a long time, still doing it.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.