John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never Ever Listen To Salesmen...

Maybe they live in the nanotubes. Max, they go to great effort to emphasize the causally impossible separation of signal and noise after the fact. I've posted pictures of the horrible 1/f noise on a typical LP, lets see the removal of this with no effect on the low frequency musical content.
I take the website blurb with a grain of salt, as I think we all should...let's face it the audio world (and the automotive world for example....just add pretty much any subject category) is full of unsubstantiated claims like 50% better etc etc.
In this case of BQP, credible audio world personalities do make observations of subjective changes, some positive, some negative.
In this context, price and smokescreen explanations are irrelevant, the bottom line is that subjective change is well noted.
'Diffmaker' implemented correctly, and the resultant analysed correctly ought to help to understand what is going on.
So far I have not seen this approach applied.

Dan,

A question for you Max Headroom, why dont standard electronics suppliers stock the BQP?
In the numerous threads in the past these beasties have been measured and disassembled, if you wanna make one get a resistor wrap it in some Stilpoints ERS cloth, add a bit of shrink wrap, sit back and buy a Bently.
Of course we must not forget that it is also still covered by various security restrictions due to its use on sonar systems etc etc, so luckily no spy's have thought to purchase any from an audio tweek site, otherwise they would have access to some hush hush tecnology...

There is no easily measurable inductance in these device except for wire lead length. No significant capacitance either.

There is trivially measureable inductance. The 15 nH per foot is easily measurable.

Insertion of any device introduces inductance. So does wiring in a switch. So does having the current deep enough into the component that the body of the component builds in a spacing below which the return current is excluded.

Perhaps you can't measure it, perhaps Jack can't. But others can do so with ease.

Invoking the "cal into short" function of a good meter only requires reading the instruction book.

As to your credentials. I've no problem with what you know, I've commended you on that in the past.

It's what you don't know yet refuse to admit or learn, that is a problem.

jn

Uh huh ???...the distortion changes sure, but it don't disappear...

Quantization distortion disappears. That's no violation of first principles at all.

Your speculation about changing spectra of noise floors for Bybee's fraudulent little gadget is not born out by actual experiment. The noise performance was indistinguishable from a cheap 30 milliohm resistor.

No, I have a degree in physics, I have only worked as an electronic engineer for the last 45 years, am now a LIFE MEMBER of the IEEE, and once a MEMBER of the AES, including SF Bay Area Chairman for a number of years.
But I do NOT have a degree as an 'electronic engineer'.
That was not my question.
We work on scientific basis. It means things witch can be demonstrated, measured and reproduced.
We are numerous, here, connected with electronic with various experiences and various backgrounds from different countries. No one can believe in such fairy tail: a passive device witch is able to discriminate 'bad signals' from 'good ones'. without filtering something in the frequency or time domain.
For a very good reason: Good signals and bad signals does not exists out of our brains.
On a musical signal out of an amp, with no other reference, there is no way to make the difference between original 'good' content and the same signal with added distortion.

Now, if the magic stuff really exists, why don't you send one Purifier to be measured by one of us owning good equipment, to see what is all about ? If we can measure something relevant, it will be the best hommage you can do to the memory of your strange friend. And a revolution in science.

Last edited:
Now, if the magic stuff really exists, why don't you send one Purifier to be measured by one of us owning good equipment, to see what is all about ?

It's been done. Noise, distortion, impedance, electron velocity. John was not happy with the results but has offered exactly zero data of his own. Nor has any of the "faithful". It's a fraud.

Max, the evidence of how at least one Bybee device works is right in front of everyone. They just can't see it, and SY did not know what was inside the package when he looked at it. He wouldn't believe me anyway, if I told him. '-)
My job in life is to make the best audio equipment possible, even if many here think it a waste of time and money. In the past, I would try just about 'anything' after learning from experience, that something denied or neglected today, just might be found of use to make better audio quality equipment. This has been so for me with connecting wire, connectors, circuit board material, caps, resistors, etc. etc.
I use what WORKS the best, not the most expensive or the most pretty package.
The Bybee devices are a special collection of 'tweaks' that I got ahold of, about 16 years ago, and found useful.
However, we rarely put them into the Blowtorch, or any other product that I have designed. They are just TOO EXPENSIVE, even for me, to add them in.
As they are extremely difficult to measure for any difference, it is difficult to justify them to people who do not have the best possible audio system already. They do make a difference, sometimes for the worst, (interestingly enough) but they usually make a difference.
Jack says that they remove 1/f quantum noise that is very difficult to remove by normal filtering (for some reason), and the original purifiers were made for US submarines, during the cold war, to reduce noise in their battery system, during silent running, so that the passive sonar could reach a little farther, but that was a long time ago, and Jack decided to try these devices in audio equipment, about 20 years ago. He was successful, so he went ahead and offered it to manufacturers, first, and later consumers. Some manufacturers love the devices, but they ALWAYS complain about the cost. Jack tries to offer them something cheaper in the line, but they always go for the 'best' which has a significant of gold and silver in the leads, etc.
I have teased Jack about using gold and silver, but he insists that they sound better than copper. Why, I don't know, but I believe him, because he offers 3 versions of the same device with different lead material, and the manufacturers/users usually pick the most expensive one as the best sounding. Are they crazy? I don't think so, they just trust their ears. It actually works well when one can keep an open mind about this stuff.

Analyser Analysis...

Max, your 'reservations' about clock stability gets me to think that it might be a lot easier to wait for the SR-1 analyzer that we are attempting to obtain. I am fairly sure that this analyzer can measure 'something' with the Bybee devices that I can't do today.
I have not yet read the operators manual of the SR-1, but I do have some limited experience of the Prism dScope Series III analogue and digital audio analyzers.
Interestingly and usefully this test set can discriminate and display seperately Noise and THD.
Also useful is a multi tone IMD test with selected non harmonically related frequencies.
Worth studying the manual.

Regards, Dan.

Sy,
Since you have one of these devices have you attempted to disassemble this trick piece of electronics to see what is inside? Wouldn't that settle what magic elements are inside the wrapper, whether is is nothing but a straight piece of wire or even a resistor? If it is epoxy encapsulated that would be fairly easy to dissolve off of the internal structure and see what magic fairy dust is inside!

Sy, if you still have the magic stuff, Bybee pretend its device remove IM. Can-you measure any IM from the out of an amp, with and without the magic device ?

Name the frequencies and where you want the "devices" connected. It's easy to do. I looked at noise floor with test tones, with (of course) no differences. Understand, of course, that even with an IM measurement, some magic force will be invoked that test instruments can't see, or the measurements will be fatally flawed since the "device" was put in the wrong place to make it work (the application instructions are vague about where they should be used and John won't suggest anything helpful), but at least it'll be useful for the rational folk.

Sy,
Since you have one of these devices have you attempted to disassemble this trick piece of electronics to see what is inside?

They're not mine so I won't disassemble them (they were bought by Cal Weldon). Others have and found some stuff wrapped up around the resistor. Apparently, the wrappings are just a sideshow since there is no electrical effect. My own feeling is that it doesn't really matter what floobydust is packed in there, they either do something or they don't. And since they don't, the floobydust is not terribly interesting.

Qualified By Experience...

Max, the evidence of how at least one Bybee device works is right in front of everyone. They just can't see it, and SY did not know what was inside the package when he looked at it. He wouldn't believe me anyway, if I told him. '-)
My job in life is to make the best audio equipment possible, even if many here think it a waste of time and money. In the past, I would try just about 'anything' after learning from experience, that something denied or neglected today, just might be found of use to make better audio quality equipment. This has been so for me with connecting wire, connectors, circuit board material, caps, resistors, etc. etc.
I use what WORKS the best, not the most expensive or the most pretty package.
....Are they crazy? I don't think so, they just trust their ears. It actually works well when one can keep an open mind about this stuff.

Yup, I have learned by experience for a long time too.
Servicing and listening to a million bits of gear made by a million different manufacturers allows one to see (hear) some very interesting correlations.
All is not at it seems on first inspection :cool:

Dan.

The Proof is In the Listening...

Name the frequencies and where you want the "devices" connected. It's easy to do. I looked at noise floor with test tones, with (of course) no differences. Understand, of course, that even with an IM measurement, some magic force will be invoked that test instruments can't see, or the measurements will be fatally flawed since the "device" was put in the wrong place to make it work (the application instructions are vague about where they should be used and John won't suggest anything helpful), but at least it'll be useful for the rational folk.

They're not mine so I won't disassemble them (they were bought by Cal Weldon). Others have and found some stuff wrapped up around the resistor. Apparently, the wrappings are just a sideshow since there is no electrical effect. My own feeling is that it doesn't really matter what floobydust is packed in there, they either do something or they don't. And since they don't, the floobydust is not terribly interesting.
So after (or indeed before) you did your measurements testing, did you try subjective evaluation on at least more than one audio system ???.

Dan.

John,
We all by now should understand the placebo effect in medicine and also here in audio. If you want to believe that you hear something you will hear it even if it is not there. There are proofs that placebo's do work in medicine, the mind is a very strange thing and we can even believe ourselves well. That is a very powerful argument for the fact that some will hear something even if it is not there even if you could show that it truly isn't.

So after (or indeed before) you did your measurements testing, did you try subjective evaluation on at least more than one audio system ???.

Dan.
Actually, the proof is in the testing.

Scope photo's have been provided as proof of an effect.

Why is there no information made available regarding the test setup such that others can duplicate the test???

Results which cannot be duplicated by others is indeed floobydust.

When the origionator refuses to divulge the setup or test conditions so that the results can be checked, there is another name for that. Scientific misconduct comes to mind as one possibility.

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.