John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the BQP does anything at all it probably acts a bit like a lossy ferrite choke. Measurements would show a rising impedance with RF frequency, but remaining not too far from resistive - more like a low Q inductor.

It doesn't. Network analysis shows the same inductance as a cheap resistor with the same length copperweld leads. No difference in the microwave properties, either.

I will not follow-you on this way. A Blowtosch is a preamplifier that offer *real* services: amplification, volume tuning, choice of sources, power amp drive. As far as i know, and even if i thing some choices are not so clever (like plain aluminum machined enclosure, or strange silver expensive cables) because they increase the price for no real audio benefit, omho, it is designed with accurate calculations, good choice of components and schematic, fully justified, powered by carefully filtered power regulators.

I don't believe it is the ultimate wonder of fashion, i am not appreciative at all for the quality/price ratio, but i'm sure there is nothing to complain about the way it sounds.
Christophe, here I disagree with you.

I'm very specific about my criticism of JC's products. I'm sure many of his designs are OK and will be indistinguishable from an evil 4558 design in a Double Blind Listening Test bla bla. Anyway, I don't have sufficient info on these other designs to pontificate.

But Blowtorch and JC2 Mk1 are different.

Like JC can tell the sound of a product without even listening ... just by looking at the labels on the evil OPAs ... I can (like some other true gurus on this thread) tell from the schematic and other clues provided by JC, if a product is probably distinguishable from an evil 4558 design in DBT bla bla.

If and only if this is established, it is sensible to ask for a preference.

And my prediction is that a properly implemented 4558 design, following the guidelines in its datasheet and also some recommended by Guru Wurcer in his AD797 datasheet will be preferred.

JC has already confirmed one prediction : JC2 Mk1 was caned by the reviewers.

I've been attempting to confirm/disprove the other about Blowtorch.

Remember, I have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH ENCLOSURES HAND CARVED FROM SOLID UNOBTAINIUM BY VIRGINS in a product where the cost is acceptable PROVIDED IT DOESN'T SOUND WORSE THAN A 4558 DEVICE.

And this is a purely technical issue. The result of a DBT bla bla is a measurement. It has an accuracy that can be checked and the instrument (Listening Panel) needs to be calibrated too.

Part of this listening performance is the probable behaviour of Blowtorch on Hirata, Quan and its 7th harm production.

As JC has been at pains to stress Hirata, Quan etc, his association with famous names, his ceaseless self promotion, his mentor status to Einstein & Newton, his obvious contempt for the unwashed masses including many true gurus ... I fail to see why he should feel 'insulted' when someone points out he doesn't carry out Measurements on his own products and that his 'Listening' tests may be wonky.

It's not as if the results are under NDA or that the product is even current.

If he had claimed, Blowtorch's superiority was solely due to Quantum effects, I would not be in any position to criticise as I only have a passing knowledge of such deep matters. He would be an honest snake oil man.

If he had claimed, it was due to his expert design, there are many here who are qualified to pronounce on his expertise ... in spite of his contempt for true gurus.

But to claim it is due to esoteric tests which he then refuses to carry out on Blowtorch .. and worse not reveal the results when he has .. :eek:

kgrlee,
Have you seen a schematic for the Blowtorch. I don't know why if the product is no longer in production that would be some secret and once a product is on the market to the public I am not sure you could stop someone from publishing that? On the other hand it is such an esoteric product I don't imagine that there are many out there in the world. Why don't you try and get your hands on some of the lessor JC products such as the JC branded Parasound amplifiers and see what you think. Perhaps this would give you an insight into his designs and how those implementations sound in the wild? I really could care less about a product I will probably never see let alone hear. I don't think that we could fault the build quality as that seems to be one of John's highest priorities. Perhaps someone with more money than the rest of us would like to know how their Blowtorch stands up to a more recent preamp and then you could find your answers. You are obviously not going to get those answers directly from John himself.

well according to the amp manufacture. it does (1500 upgrade) another mag reviewer states it does , as others , even JC have layed the claim to sonic benifits .
Don't you know how easy it is to get positive reviews from audio magazines ?
Well, i suppose a serial resistance in the loudspeaker line change the damping factor of some amps, and some like-it ?
I'm more interested by your reports of digitally controlled resistances arrays.

Last edited:
You guys make me smile. Laughing would be too much. '-)
Kindhornman, I don't make Blowtorches anymore BECAUSE they are too hard and expensive to make properly, AND my business partner, the real father of the Blowtorch died about 7 years ago. No more Blowtorches, both from previous agreement and my business partner's unfortunate death. HE had the keys to making more, not me. I ONLY designed the electronics. You know the stuff on the circuit boards. He did everything else, had every machinist lined up, etc. Make sense now?

I have read some articles from the french CNRS about the supra conductivity (under certain conditions) of carbon nanotubes (graphene mono-foils).
For the moment, it is very experimental and at a microscopic level, if i had understood well.
Promising for future energy transport or temperature sensors as it is very sensible to temperature ?

If the Bybee has a skin of a material around the resistor that is nominally conductive, but which randomly changed conductivity, at the m.ohm level, in quantum steps then this starts to make sense. It effectively adds dither to the signal, a low level noise which will be pleasing to the ear - the water fountain in the city effect. Fine tuning of the construction would tweak the added noise spectrum for the most appealing sound.

Frank

Hello John, in this post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/156700-jack-bybee-naq-never-asked-questions-5.html#post2015304 the following image is provided.
150526d1260990228-jack-bybee-naq-never-asked-questions-bybee.jpg

Could you please explain the test conditions and equipment.
The note on the image states that IMD is 'gone'.

Measurement uncertainty, low resolution in fact, probably measurement error?
Interference affects measurement?

Joke apart, it is easy to measure IM with and without this magic hyper subliminal device and publish the numbers.
Looking to the previous curves, the difference will be amazing!
I offer champagne to any people able to prove any difference.
I take no risk, thinking to a passive device able to discriminate IM without any effect on the response curve !!!!
A passive device able to "Add purity" to your system.
When it sounds like a fake, when it looks like a fake, when it smell like a fake, when it measure like a fake ?
It is a fake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.