John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this time, both Jack Bybee and I will be watching MAIGRET on independent TV, in our separate residences..
It was our studio whitch did the sound post production for Maigret (Editig and mixing). All digital.
We first used a lot of 4track virtual machines (Akai DD1000) working in sync. Not designed at all for that kind of work. We had designed a computer based program to drive the machines in midi with ATARI's computers. That surprised a lot Akai, so they came from Japan to visit us and few time later asked us to help them to design a new more powerful machine with can be used for movie work. We realized with them the DD1500, a fantastic 16 tracks virtual recording, editing and mixing machine, with DSP etc...
Those machines had survived at all the computer progress for more than 15 years, incredible !!! We had a lot of them, working in dispatch from a nodal to reach an unlimited number of tracks in each room, including the mixing studio.
One sympatical detail: As the line inputs where feed in permanence in first-in first out memories, it was possible to edit sounds that occurred one second BEFORE the record button was fired. The machines was able to synchronize in slave with all existing equipments at this time, audio (SMPTE), cinema (Biphase) or video and can be used as a digital master clock too.
akai_dd1500_1.jpg

To come back to this super tweeter question, i would like to add some precision. I use a JBL driver up to 16Khz. All my attempts to add a tweeter gave bad results. Of course, the tweeter was time aligned. But the tweeter i was using was not going so high in frequency. So i wonder if the phase problems induced by the filters was not adding more prejudice than benefit. May-be, trying to cut the tweeter at 16Khz with a super tweeter up to 50Khz would give better results ?

About Plasma tweeters, i had experience and measurements with IONOVAC. Very bad : they just produced some kind of modulated pink noise.

Last edited:
Christophe,
I have no experience with the plasma tweeter and don't intend to even look in that direction, I'll leave that to others to play with........

As to your upper frequency response I don't know if you are using a 2", 1 1/2" or 1" driver for your top end. I would take a look at the Brush Wellman beryllium replacement diaphragms and see if the decrease in mass wouldn't help lift the top end. I know I have read articles that have said lowering the mass has no effect but I don't believe that. And the resonance modes are moved higher in the band. The only problem is that the diaphragms are so expensive, but we are after the best sound not the cheapest sound we can get. You and I both know that live sound reinforcement is very different than playback and the requirements are very much different. If size was not an object I would build an ultimate horn system, but alas I just don't think I want to bring any of my double 18" waveguides into the house. I have 8 units that I need to finish but I will sell those to someone doing PA work. I used four of these cabinets to replace 16 of the cabinets that John's friend John Meyers built back in the day.

accuton® Carefully selected loudspeaker drivers. | Drivers

the actual product datasheet fr plots only show to 20 kHz

directivity may be a problem with 20mm dia dome - as with anything that high

electrostatic headphones may your best bet for listening tests

even if they acheived a mostly planar wavefront it still wouldn't be "realisitic" for any musical instrument''s 20+ kHz acoustic radiation pattern reaching your ear either

Last edited:
You and I both know that live sound reinforcement is very different than playback and the requirements are very much different.
There are plenty of gentlemen here, :), who have the experience to answer ... why? What intrinsically is so different from, say, reproducing the vocals of a singer on stage to an audience, getting the tonality right, from doing the same thing, for the same singer, in someone's lounge. Yes, the SPLs will be quite different, but ... if I lowered the PA volume to match the highest volume the domestic system could cleanly reproduce, by sound metre at 1 metre, shouldn't they sound the same? Okay, FR for the stage setup may have been manipulated to account for the auditorium acoustics, but let's say the response is adjusted to match the domestic system ...

Is there any theoretical reason why those 2 sound sources won't reasonably match, to a casual listener?

Frank

Some of the smaller AMT (i.e. mundorf) claim ~50khz extension, and even higher claims the smaller raal ribbon.
I remember in my research to look also as other drives of this type.
Besides, there is a new seas fabric dome which shows a very nice hf beyond 30k. A bit inefficient but maybe fits your bill.

Is there any theoretical reason why those 2 sound sources won't reasonably match, to a casual listener?
Even at home, our speakers are at the limit, a truck will never beat a formula one.
There is many problems induced by the volume and size of big halls or open spaces. On an acoustic point of view, where echo appears down to very low frequencies due to the waves length/room sizes, due to the necessity to multiply the sources in order to fulfill the power requirements etc...
On a physical point of view, where acoustic pressures needed induces distortions in the drivers due to non linearities of air pressure etc..
Everybody try to make PA systems as good as possible, and, sometimes, it is not so bad.

No, Jack Bybee was loaned by Hughes Aircraft to Richard Feynman to consult on Superconductivity.
Jack Bybee also told me that the test course for the Bentley is a 7 mi straight line, which one mile, in the middle, is timed. They instruct to NOT try any dangerous actions while at these speeds. They also pre-check brakes, etc in advance.
If you do not believe that Jack Bybee could do such a thing, perhaps you should get some facts that disprove him. Personally, I learn from the guy, more than many other's, that's for sure.

About my super tweeter's joke, i noticed in reviews that they all remark an improvement in basses.........May-be it is an acoustic phase question, as well, or a group delay one ? it would be interesting to explore.

I wonder if the hf energy causes the ear to react by turning it's gain down..I have experienced this effect with 25 Khz ultrasonic sound present.

He taught Richard Feynman how to drive.
What, a VW microbus?

Was that before or after he was hired by Einstein to consult about relativity?
No silly, Einstein's wife hired him..

jn

Last edited:
I wonder if the hf energy causes the ear to react by turning it's gain down.
Clever. I noticed this strange feeling when some oscillations in power amps. A feeling to be kind of deaf, the ears plugged.
The same kind of increase of dynamic we use with level compressors, setting the attack time slow when this HF appears at high transients ?

I read on comments about those super tweeters that when you set a 40KHz sinusoidal signal, you do not hear nothing, but, if you start or stop the signal at full level of the sin, you hear a little noise pick at the start and end. IM products due to the high slewrate ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.