John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, THD figures for PGA are for gain diferent (lower than) from 0dB worse, than for 0dB. This not valid for MDAC, nor relay atenuator. .
It seems not logical: they use one switch by step, the same for each, it is not like DACs. So i do not see why distortion wouls change with position of the attenuator. With level of the signal, yes, as MOS are less linear at high level.
May i ask-you the same question ? Can you try to describe the differences you found between all those solutions, on a subjective point of view ?

PGA driven via 33R direct from previous stage (unity gain follower with OA, distortion at this input point was 2 orders lower than at output). Sound diferences against MDAC or relay attenuator -less resolution, something as "sound smog", less details and missing of something that I call "silence between notes". It is difficult to describe with words, subejctive impact can be different. And look at block diagram for PGA in datasheet, here are for sure more switches in action than one by step. Input divider, and feedback network.

Attached is one measurement for preamp with relay attenuator, difference is visible.. I organized more "sessions" and listeners always prefered version with relay attenuator against PGA or DAC regulation. Most audible are difference between PGA or WM8816 against DAC +OA,and again, DAC is superb compared to PGA or WM, difference DAC vs. relay attenuator is more subtle

Did you compare the relay attenuator to switching attenuator?
Possibly avoiding relays, which are magnetic, can be beneficial.

I come from the "chain is only as strong as its weakest ..." line of thinking: chain A is made from 99 links of strength 100, 1 link of strength 50; chain B is made from 100 links of strength 50 - which chain is stronger? In the audio world everyone will put up their hand to say chain A is obviously superior; everything in my experience says it works just that real, hard metal "rope" - that single, lesser link sets the standard for everything else.

Not very palatable, but that's how it works, IME ...

Frank

Hi,

If you would convert the chain length strength to equivalent THD values and sum them you would see your error.

PGA driven via 33R direct from previous stage (unity gain follower with OA, distortion at this input point was 2 orders lower than at output). Sound diferences against MDAC or relay attenuator -less resolution, something as "sound smog", less details and missing of something that I call "silence between notes". It is difficult to describe with words, subejctive impact can be different. And look at block diagram for PGA in datasheet, here are for sure more switches in action than one by step. Input divider, and feedback network.
Well, there is two switches, i believe, one in the feedback loop cancelling the input one's distortion. They use-it to increase the gain of the amp between 0 and +15dB.
Thank-you for your answer and description, BV, clear enough, and you describe all that i do not like. Strange that i do not experience the same thing.

This not valid for MDAC, nor relay atenuator. Try it , I tried personaly in last ten years MDAC ( a bit complicated "driving" for dB steps), WM8816, PGA2310, MAS6116 (all very covenient for use), and finally I stick with relay attenutor. It is simply sonically the best solution with best measured parameters.

How did the Levinson measure so well and win the, ahem, listening contest? :D

If you would convert the chain length strength to equivalent THD values and sum them you would see your error.
Just my twoo cents to say that distortion rarely add, because they is not always phase coherency. They can even cancel themselves.
How did the Levinson measure so well and win the, ahem, listening contest? :D
Yes, it is very strange too. I was VERY suspicious, the first time i experienced PGAs, as i am with unknown OPAs. And i was agreeably surpised. Very strange, as i believe too the BV's impressions.
Something need to be clarified.

Last edited:
Does-it change the texture of them ? No (Pots add a little granular sound)
I'm pleased to see you use that term, "granular" -- not one I use myself, but it nicely encapsulates the audible impression of the type of distortion that infects most systems, and which one must work tirelessly to eliminate. And, of course, switches and pots do a nice job of adding this flavouring.

People talk of sound being "granular" - that's audible distortion; and also of being "smooth and sweet" - that's one lacking distortion ...

Frank

Personally, anybody who prefers a deliberately reduced bandwidth is not someone who I would rely on for subjective input, so that leaves a few inputs here in suspension.
Err.rh! As ALL properly conducted Blind Listening Tests on Bandwidth Limitation using evil recorded stuff has resulted in UNANIMOUS preference for Band Limitation (among those who can reliably tell the difference) , its obvious you have to ignore everything said by true golden pinnae and rely only on the Golden Pinnae who's ability to detect differences miraculously disappears when they can't see the price tag, label, Unobtainium, virgins bla bla.

Da Golden Pinnae scorn Double Blind Tests cos they often come up with null results on their virgin crafted Unobtainium items. But Double Blind Tests DO come up with positive results .. sometime unanimously; as with Bandwidth Limitation.

Here we have a device that when put into the appropriate place in the signal chain, actually makes things sound better! And this 'improvement' is detectable without having to see whether its in place or not. :eek:

I should sell such a device for $10,000 (1/2 that of Blowtorch) but refuse to conduct any measurements (except for Double Blind Listening Tests) or reveal what's inside. After all, it actually makes things sound better unlike other Golden Pinnae rubbish. :D

JC, can you tell us your experience with evil digital/integrated volume controls? Some people have been good enough to publish their results. Have you similar data? Or even the Hirata & Quan measurements that you tell us are so important. If you have had bad experiences, what objective reasons do you think caused the poorer sound?

Pavel, I'm still interested in what you would use for conducting an Audibility of Bandwidth Limitation listening test. If its all your own special stuff, so be it.

But I'd really like to know.

Hi,

I know what you're saying, but that is not the point that I'm trying to make. Of course, THD values will sum in a certain mathematical way -- oh, for it all to be so simple! That's why I used the strength figures posted, to emphasise the key relevance of one, single "THD" figure. If you watch the conversations here there's a wide chasm between precise, theoeretical underpinnings to how people design, and their measurements to 4 significant figures of the performance thereof ... and, then, their statements to the effect that, I didn't like how the end result sounded, or a whole bunch of people preferred this other way! There's a huge black hole in the middle of all this, a murky, sludgy mud of confusion and lack of fuller understanding.

THD is a pure, "scientific" measurement, it tells you nothing about whether you'll like the effect, or send you out of the room with your hands over your ears. Which is the key to the "problem": it is of no relevance to your hearing if every component has better than -120dB distortion by every measurement, but for one part that you've ignored, are not aware of, which is injecting -60dB distortion of an exceeding obnoxious nature. The system, no matter how expensive, how well engineered in every other aspect, will be a failure for the person who has bought, or assembled it.

Frank

Last edited:
I am curious what you think of the approach used in the Ayre K5xe mp: "good" analog switches to select resistors for the various attenuation settings
You are exactly describing the volume controls we are talking about.
The main difference would be the resistances used in integrated circuit: Silicon, instead of discreet thin film. But they pretend to have achieved a special implementation to cancel the known distortions of silicon based resistances. And, with the care they had put in this IC, i believe them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Richard, DACs commute DC. At 0 dB all the steps are used to compose the signal. The distortion is just a factor of precision of the R-2R network.

It doesnt matter what within the DAC is responsible. That side steps the point.

It is quit good compared to most others at lower input levels. That is the point. And, it is the more relevant level..
We dont listen much at OdB levels so why only measure there?
Lets keep in mind to look/compare at the resolution and thd at mid levels and low levels as well and then compare numbers to other DAC and to analog. Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
It is quit good compared to most others at lower input levels. That is the point.
I don't think we are talking of the same thing. Used as it is supposed to be used , DACs use a R-2R network feed by a DC to create an analog signal from the digital one used to commutate those R-2R with MosFet switches.
Of course, some had the idea to use them as volume control, replacing the DC by the signal, and the digital signal by the volume control. But neither the switches, neither the resistances are optimized to deal with AC signals. so i do not see any reason why i should work better than a dedicated circuit, optimized for the purpose.
But may-be you where talking about tuning the volume in the digital world ?

Status
Not open for further replies.