Capacitor Sounds II: Part 3
Distortion Meter Cyril Bateman Sept 2003 p46 S
Capacitor and Amplifier Distortions Cyril Bateman Nov 2003 p44 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 1 Cyril Bateman Oct 2004 p22 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 2 Cyril Bateman Nov 2004 p26 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 3 Cyril Bateman Dec 2004 p10 S
Simulating Power MOSFETs: Part 4 Cyril Bateman Jan 2005 p34 S

S = ???

Served shield? After all the intense discussions about shielding here I'm surprised to see anyone recommending a served (single spiral) shield. It makes for a very flexible cable but the shield performance is not as good as a braid. I would have thought anything less than a quad shield construction would be unacceptable, except for those who think shielded cables are bad. . .

I was assuming his application was home audio where he wouldn't be dealing with particularly long lengths of cable in which case a served shield or even no shield at all can work perfectly well.

se

When symetrical, you don't care, when asym, never weld the shield target side, use the white wire for ground reference instead. In real world, the wires are rigid enough, they are not microphonic, very well shielded, and sound great.

I don't think you're getting the point. Foil/drain brings LESS symmetry to a symmetrical pair than, for example, braid and foil.

I want all the electronics and their connexions in a continuous Faraday cage. Therefore, I want a cable shield with low impedance connections to the enclosures that house the sending and receiving electronics. As was mentioned by Steve Eddy, for home electronics with short length cable runs, it probably doesn't matter that much, but I want perfection, so a <5mm balanced braided shield cable is what I yearn for.

It will be a challenge to solder it together in mini XLR, but with the help of a stereo microscope it can be done. Probably.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I want all the electronics and their connexions in a continuous Faraday cage. Therefore, I want a cable shield with low impedance connections to the enclosures that house the sending and receiving electronics. As was mentioned by Steve Eddy, for home electronics with short length cable runs, it probably doesn't matter that much, but I want perfection, so a <5mm balanced braided shield cable is what I yearn for.

It will be a challenge to solder it together in mini XLR, but with the help of a stereo microscope it can be done. Probably.
The star quad is a bee-atch I agree, even with normal XLR, but you'll be a better person for the effort. Plus the cable is more immune to magnetic fields than ordinary twisted pair.

Perfection? I think there's another word for that but I'll just bow out now. :D

se

Steve, that word probably got to do with approximately the part I am sitting on right now, with 'retentive' added.

I wasn't clear enough, as in my case I also need to design for large cable runs >25 meter to active speakers with classD amps and switched power supplies, so it is also a matter for EMR not radiating out.

Foil/drain wire constructions have a higher shield current induced noise than other constructions.
Oh, please !!!
Look at the image.
Belden is a top professional cable manufacturer and know how to build cables for audio: the drain is OUTSIDE the foil, and the foil is not spiraled; They provide specs, just look at them.

Last edited:
About Belden 1023A, this cable is very good both for sap-in connectors, because both the conductors and the isolators are very solid, and for welding because isolators are high temperature resistant. That's all the difference between an 'audiophile' product and a real professional one, easy to set and weld, long lasting, and very good performance. But they don't look anything like spacial or exotic.

Last edited:
Oh, please !!!
Look at the image.
Belden is a top professional cable manufacturer and know how to build cables for audio: the drain is OUTSIDE the foil, and the foil is not spiraled; They provide specs, just look at them.

The drain outside the foil will be the low impedance connection for shield currents and and will cause the current centroid to become assymetrical. Sort of defies the purpose of a shielded cable.

The drain outside the foil will be the low impedance connection for shield currents and and will cause the current centroid to become assymetrical. Sort of defies the purpose of a shielded cable.
Again, the foil is very thick and low-z and in contact with the drain all the way. The drain is only here to help welding, strait, while the two wires are twisted. Please, get a sample and measure before to give false inputs. Really no need to argue endless, are-you working for a challenger manufacturer ?
The negative impact of this is the cable is a little rigid: nice for fixed wiring, not nice as a microphone cable.

Last edited:

Well it's good to know that someone made the apparent effort to read the article I linked without getting rude about defending their personal choice. It's too much of a bother to have a technical discussion in this forum without dealing with such rudeness.

Pooge, thanks, but I did not link to your article. It is rather common knowledge for those who have read and understood the interesting and informative contributions of JNeutron on this site.The insights he communicated were applicable to this situation so I shamelessly passed them on without mentioning their source.

Last edited:
Well it's good to know that someone made the apparent effort to read the article I linked without getting rude about defending their personal choice. It's too much of a bother to have a technical discussion in this forum without dealing with such rudeness.
Well, my recommendation was based on *real experience*, with kilometers of cables on very complex installations, like a 120 TV channels computer based recording and monitoring system in Qatar. With 120/120 audio matrix. You can imagine we made some measurements before to order the GOOD cables and had to sign very severe 'accordance' ?
I don' think I'm rude, just bored with the same old story: audiophile fantasies VS real world efficiency and quality. Like this recent story between high end cables handcrafted by virgins losing connection cause the lack of a stupid XLR latch !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.