John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the demo, and everyone told hm how good his speakers sounded, he pulled back the screen to show that the source was an Apple MP3 player. He said that this was to show that the speakers were the most important part of a system. Do you think that this is because he sells speakers? :^)
What it did show of course, was that extremely straightforward electronics will do an excellent job of reproducing sound if there is nothing silly around handicapping that process. That "speakers were the most important part" is a nonsense, naturally -- the most "important part" was eliminating all the usual flaws in the setup, that is, efforts were made to optimise the demo environment ...

Frank

Yes George I got your joke. But the noobs did get attention paid to how simple a circuit can be and still produce decent sound quality.

As to the RC filtering, there are several issues here. One is delivering clean power to the circuit. Another is to keep the noise from going back into the AC line. This can be done with filtering or something that is similar to filtering but prevents the noise from starting in the first place!

I normally limit myself to tutorials and just try to illustrate the examples and be complete. In this case there are methods based on very old circuits that should prove to be useful.

I have read that Dave Wilson of Wilson Audio gave a demo at the CES one year and only had his speakers in view, all the electronics were behind a screen. He told everyone that the source was a tube based CD player. After the demo, and everyone told hm how good his speakers sounded, he pulled back the screen to show that the source was an Apple MP3 player. He said that this was to show that the speakers were the most important part of a system. Do you think that this is because he sells speakers? :^)

And of course no direct comparison with cd done at the moment. Just marketing and fooling stupid crowds.

I have visited Dave Wilson demonstrations that were 'painful' to listen to. I have also heard 'wonderful' Dave Wilson demonstrations at CES. I don't go out of my way, anymore, to listen to them, unless someone tells me that they are doing an exceptional demo, rather than a typical one. Dave has become 'jaded' in his later years, and while I love my WATT's and several generations following them, I am disappointed in some of the latest offerings. Too much money, too little everything else. I don't know why.

I have visited Dave Wilson demonstrations that were 'painful' to listen to.
Did he forgot to "voice" them, or did he lose his rare talent to make believe fairy tales ?

His encolusres cannot be top for several reasons IMHO.
The d'Apolito's medium configuration is a nice try to solve vertical phase problems at Xover, but does not work optimal in real world.
First, I never reached 2 paralleled speakers to sound as good as a single one, specially in mediums. Both on an electrical point of view, if they are plugged on the same power amp, and acoustical. The vertical accidents due to phases mismatches on all their range are worse than the group delay they try to cure at crossover.
The radiated diameter between the mediums and the tweter are too different. No directivity coherence in possible.
Because the tweeter is very small diameter, i presume the Xover is done at high frequency ?
I never heard a good homogeneity with tweeters crossed upper from 2 Khz, because acoustic phase problems. Listening will be tiring.
The inverted dome (did-he buy them at Focal ?) for tweeters are just awful and a offense to acoustic intelligence. Focal's tweeters ( they made-it just to be original) are the worse tweeters i had tried, they just play some kind of distorted high frequency noise, very nasal.

On the positive side, i believe the enclosure to be rigid and heavy, and let the customer to chose the vent's position between front and back of the enclosure is clever.

As far as i'm concerned, i would not buy them, even at 1/10 of their (outrageous) price.

Last edited:
Did he forgot to "voice" them, or did he lose his rare talent to make believe fairy tales ?

I'm not familiar with the current versions, but I've heard a lot of Wilson speakers over the years. They had this in common: VERY sensitive to setup. Some rooms are going to be tougher than others, some will be impossible.

And FWIW, I've heard excellent MTMs. Heard bad ones, too. It's a tool.

ISome rooms are going to be tougher than others, some will be impossible.
Thanks, that's correlate what i thought: i suppose they only sound flat in very damped rooms.
After to had tried near everything, i'm dedicated to two ways enclosures, with circular spherical waves horns.
With the price of the top WATT, you can build your own listening room, with sub woofer in the floor, your own top of the top enclosures and buy all the stuff to play music into, digital filters, killing amps etc...etc...
But, "Retired": never able to buy anything any more :)

It is always surprising that people, especially those who make DIY, think that making an 'advanced' audio product is quick and easy. Therefore, any component over 1K or so MUST be a rip off. It is not usually true. Expenses increase when making a commercial product that DIYers don't have, which often reduces the economy by increased production numbers to almost a balance, between extra help, office space, insurance, etc, and necessary discounts given to audio dealers, so they can sell your product in reasonable numbers.
If and when you find the 'magic chip' that does just everything virtually perfectly, Parasound would love to use it in future products.

When it came to the CTC Blowtorch, we built every one at home, either Bob's home in Houston or my apartment in Berkeley. All of the electronics was built in the extra bedroom of my apartment in Berkeley, with some part time techs helping me clean, stuff and solder the boards. I had to procure parts, organize them so that they could be relatively easily located, and to select and match parts that had to be matched for best performance. I always worked along with the techs, guiding them and finding parts for them. Then when a few boards were assembled, I had to personally check each one out with instruments to make sure that the distortion, DC offset, etc was within tolerance. For a few years, I packed the tested boards, usually 2-5 sets at a time, to Houston, where Bob Crump took over. He independently ordered the custom enclosures, each set individualized for the customer, got them finished and etched, and then stuffed with the pre-tested boards from me. Bob acquired all the Pots, switches, connectors, cable, hardware for final assembly. We only used SN62 silver bearing solder, finding it to work well, at a reasonable price.
Then once made and tested to show that each preamp was working right, it was 'broken-in' for about 30 days before shipment. Bob had his garage rigged for this.
A custom travel case was made with foam enclosing the individual chassis to make it easily transportable. We usually used the original cardboard case that came with the travel cases, to protect them from shipping.
In all honesty, I don't know how we could have saved any added money in making this product, without compromising its 'integrity' or ripping off our employees and ourselves. We have to live too! Yet, we decided not to make any more than about 40+ units, because we would have had to go to dealers in order to expand our customer base, and we would then have to charge, perhaps $20,000, without a phono preamp, to give the dealers their standard mark-up of 40%. It just was not worth it, because it became boring anyway, building the same thing, over and over, and it was a lot of work, more than the 'ideal' put forward here. Fortunately, before Bob Crump got sick and ultimately passed away, unexpectedly, we were winding down the operation. If I had invested in another run of boards, etc, I would have been out many thousands of dollars.
This is how it is done, folks! No big profits, a lot of hassle, and our biggest reward is having one for ourselves to use, and to have others appreciate it, if they use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.