John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I am listening to live music with these same high frequencies that we are talking about here, the very top of the cymbals or the blat of a horn I don't perceive that as distorted and don't want to go running from the room. But play that same passage back over many loudspeakers and it won't be long before I am feeling ear fatigue, what is that about? Something in the reproduction is not matching the original sound, there is a distortion mechanism at work there.
Yes, that is precisely the problem, from my POV. Where I differ from just about everyone else is that my experiements, fiddlings, have shown me that this is problem of electronics, not transducers. I have been able to get the most miserable of speakers to give me that horn blat realistically, but only after I've worked over, and worked over, and worked over everything earlier in the chain.

Frank

About treeble limitation, i'm not sure most of the soft dome reproduce anything else than they own distortion: some hf noise triggered by the signal :) At least, this is the impression they give to me.
Personal experience. When i was a young sound engineer, i was in trouble with the cymbals. Always trying to give them more treble, while i was envious about the cymbals of some old engineers. One of them explained me that, with age and less ability to hear trebles, he was correcting them at low frequencies, removing Hf instead of increasing them, searching for 'body'.
With age, my customers told-me my cymbals were very nice. And i have no more problem to isolate and equalize them.
An other anecdote: At home, i use a 1" horn, it is limited at 16Kz. With a lot of power handling. I had never so beautiful trebles, very natural. And each time i had tried to add a tweeter up to 40KHz, i failed to get something coherent or agreeable.
I don't make any conclusion.

As requested, I think that slightly over 40 were made.

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Picture 6.pdf
    273.4 KB · Views: 76
Joined 2002
Paid Member
"How can you be so famous when you've been so consistently wrong?"

Ha ha
This quote could fit 99.99% of all famous influential people.
They probably would all answer:”Who, when and where is your “correct” one and on what metrics you base your comparison?”

But contrary to other economists (and Nobel laureates), John Kenneth Galbraith ideas haven’t (yet and as far as I know) any active association with ruined economies either on a small or on a large scale.

George

Last edited:
Would you care to tell us what "positive controls" you think they should used?

In this kind of experiment the experiementer is not able to show the internal validity of the test if he refuses to use positive controls.
If the experimenter does not know any specific effect in his experimental sounds then it is a good idea to use small level differences as a positive control.

IMHO, the Oohashi et al & Nichigushi et al methods are rather less stringent than Meyer & Moran. Only my $0.02 as a (pseudo?) Blind Listening Test guru :D

Their research goal was different; i mentioned these as a basis of comparison to get an idea which essential informations were missing in the Meyer/Moran article.

If one player had slightly poor low level linearity, what about the other players used in the test? Are you suggesting they were faulty too?

What i am suggesting is that mandatory checks for equipment quality were obviously omitted .

If this was a sighted test, do you think the "slightly poor low level linearity" would have affected the results? In the case of JC, I don't think so as he doesn't even have to listen to come to his conclusion. :eek:

Not that I would attribute such rare skills to anyone else on this august forum. :)

I am sorry, but normally scientific studies were done to rely less on something "I" feel, think or believe. ;)

It may be exaggerated a bit, but in this experiment a unknown number of participants of unknown detection abilities (under test conditions) did listen to an unknown subset (maybe, we don´t know) of a total of 19 records with unknown content (technically spoken wrt to frequency range) over a reproduction chain with unknown overall properties.

The result of the experiment was that the null hypothesis could not be rejected, but no further conclusions could be drawn about reasons

I rather suspect those who say mp3 sounds terrible are listening through a far more terrible DAC :D For me its not a slam dunk to tell the difference between VBR (or 320k) mp3 and the original redbook. Some loss of ambience perhaps, but not very obvious.

Yes, the difference isn't huge compared to redbook (unless u use 128k mp3, but i have never seen those on my hard disks since good 15 years). It is more of a leap going from 44/16 to DXD.

I mentionned mp3 as a clear example of where audio engineering is going, to show the direction where resources are being invested -portable compressed media, instead of pursuing a better home reproduction of Music.
Unfortunately I dont see any change of this trend.

God bless FLAC.

Yes, that is precisely the problem, from my POV. Where I differ from just about everyone else is that my experiements, fiddlings, have shown me that this is problem of electronics, not transducers. I have been able to get the most miserable of speakers to give me that horn blat realistically, but only after I've worked over, and worked over, and worked over everything earlier in the chain.

Frank

Yes, this is also my findings. The tweeters either act as NATURAL LPF or are able to go further pretty clear. The issues are in the DAC first and foremost and in the power amp secondly.

This is old stuff and its possible the specifics have changed. Here is the original source: AES E-Library Subjective Measurements of Loudspeaker Sound Quality and Listener Performance The larger point still is that accuracy and "good sound" are not synonymous. Many highly rated speakers are pretty poor in many measurements. Technically perfect speakers don't necessarily review well.

A friend of mine in the hearing aid industry has explained to me that many experienced listeners actually reconstruct what they think they are hearing. A big notch in hearing (not uncommon in classical musicians) doesn't change what they perceive. I believe this has even been demonstrated with PET scans of brain activity. Learning these types of things leaves me feeling like I'm standing on quicksand.

As audio technique doesn´t make any sense without a human listener, a pure technically driven approach must fail.

Technically spoken we could only note that we fail miserably in recording and reproducing the original sound field and that by a big margin.

The foundation of our todays stereophonic reproduction lies in the observation that very (physically) different sound fields could nevertheless led to very similar perception for human listeners.
But human listeners are quite similar in various aspects of the hearing sense, but can be quite different in others.
For example a certain percentage of humans does hear a left and a right channel sound source but these two do not integrate to phantom source located somewhere between the two loudspeakers.

That might be considered as a defect but it is a correct perception of the real situation.

There exist two approaches to recover more accurate sound fields during the reproduction, one is the artificial head recording approach the other is the WFS .

Beside that we have to accept the fact that stereophonic reproduction with two channels is a more or less crude approximation to the real thing, that can work quite good, but we should not take for granted that each listener will like the same properties of such a system.

It surely will depend on personal habits, socialization, listening skills and so forth.

I find it quite instructive to see what research is done to understand which properties for example concert halls should/must have to be considered as good or great.
See for example this presentation:

http://www.chrgsummerinstitute.com/Russ Altermatt - Listener Envelopment.pdf

And as you´ve mentioned the compression codec development provided some very useful insights as well. Especially because some more large scale listening tests were done in the past ~20 years.
But afair jj himself would prefer (even at 320kbs, if i got it right) using AAC instead of MP3 for example, if one has to use a lossy compression scheme.

But in any case one has to carefully analyze the published studies to evaluate which conclusions are really covered by the data.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
As you apparently haven't read all the posts, I can understand.

But I think the concept of a thread topic was lost long ago.

John uses full wave bridges on each winding and then filters and combines them.

Yes, that is a time-honored technique that I've used as well, despite the extra diode drops.

I guess I was just puzzled that you introduced (or re-introduced) the subject at this point. But as you say, the concept of a thread topic is long gone.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Galbraith in the context of Krugman

"How can you be so famous when you've been so consistently wrong?"
When you consider that recently the Nobel Prize for economics was awarded to a highly-politically-oriented NYT journalist who thinks we haven't tried enough Neo-Keynesianism, Galbraith almost starts to look sensible :)

BTW, has anyone seen signs of a Federal Reserve Centennial celebration yet? :D Ought to be quite festive.

OK what does this have to do with the Blowtorch? Perhaps metaphorically, related to meltdowns?

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
As audio technique doesn´t make any sense without a human listener, a pure technically driven approach must fail.

Technically spoken we could only note that we fail miserably in recording and reproducing the original sound field and that by a big margin.

The foundation of our todays stereophonic reproduction lies in the observation that very (physically) different sound fields could nevertheless led to very similar perception for human listeners.
But human listeners are quite similar in various aspects of the hearing sense, but can be quite different in others.
For example a certain percentage of humans does hear a left and a right channel sound source but these two do not integrate to phantom source located somewhere between the two loudspeakers.

That might be considered as a defect but it is a correct perception of the real situation.

There exist two approaches to recover more accurate sound fields during the reproduction, one is the artificial head recording approach the other is the WFS .

Beside that we have to accept the fact that stereophonic reproduction with two channels is a more or less crude approximation to the real thing, that can work quite good, but we should not take for granted that each listener will like the same properties of such a system.

It surely will depend on personal habits, socialization, listening skills and so forth.

I find it quite instructive to see what research is done to understand which properties for example concert halls should/must have to be considered as good or great.
See for example this presentation:

http://www.chrgsummerinstitute.com/Russ Altermatt - Listener Envelopment.pdf

And as you´ve mentioned the compression codec development provided some very useful insights as well. Especially because some more large scale listening tests were done in the past ~20 years.
But afair jj himself would prefer (even at 320kbs, if i got it right) using AAC instead of MP3 for example, if one has to use a lossy compression scheme.

But in any case one has to carefully analyze the published studies to evaluate which conclusions are really covered by the data.

yes. My sediments, exactly :) :up::up:

Last edited:
Yes, that is a time-honored technique that I've used as well, despite the extra diode drops.

I guess I was just puzzled that you introduced (or re-introduced) the subject at this point. But as you say, the concept of a thread topic is long gone.

I am finishing up an article on power supplies and when I get really good shots of things I have shown them here. The comments are often interesting. But good info is harder to get as there are only a few participating here who have scars on their mind from the learning and scars on their hands from the soldering irons.

Status
Not open for further replies.