John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We must not generalize distortions, one kind of distortion does not attract care at -40dB level, while another is listenable even at -20dB below noise floor.
Make yourself a favor. Take an audio signal (X), clip-it awfully. Divide-it by a 1/100 resistance's bridge. Add this distorted signal (Y) to the original signal with a potentiometer. Stop when you can hear-it. Measure the level.
Do the calculation: Result in dB= 20 log(Y/X)

To put the things in perspective, the best loudspeakers have a distortion > -40db under the signal level.
Just curious where you get this from, Christophe. It's a typical comment, that speakers have very poor distortion levels, but I've seen many sets of test results where the critical higher frequencies have distortion levels of the order of -60dB down ...

Frank

It's a strawman test because this is just uncorrelated random noise which we are able to filter out completely. If we couldn't, we would not at all be able listen to any music faithfully without living in a fully sound-proofed room.

Repeat the test with a correlated distorted copy of the original and you'll be surprised.
So even golden ears are not able to detect uncorrelated random noise during a playback? Worth noting if true.

+1 - I was just about to post the same, but you beat me to it Klaus :) I'm guessing this 'test' was one dreamed up by Ethan Winer? ;)

Sorry, a Sousa band is not random noise (maybe to some :)) I would suggest running the music through one or more of Mr. Gedde's transfer funtions and adding it in at the -60dB level. Simple easy anyone can do it, which means of course no one will and still the claims will be made.

BTW I disagree, due to the "voice in a crowd effect" I would expect one to be more sensitive to a totally different piece buried in the mix.

Last edited:
Sorry, a Sousa band is not random noise (maybe to some :))

Neither KSTR nor myself are contending that it is. Uncorrelated, not random. <edit> I note that KSTR was indeed contending random. I myself am not.

I would suggest running the music through one or more of Mr. Gedde's transfer funtions and adding it in at the -60dB level. Simple easy anyone can do it, which means of course no one will and still the claims will be made.

Not real-world because most distortions in audio systems are dynamic ones. Tanh in input pairs being a notable exception.

BTW I disagree, due to the "voice in a crowd effect" I would expect one to be more sensitive to a totally different piece buried in the mix.

That would be because this 'voice in the crowd' was able to be localized by our two ears though ISTM. I doubt Ethan Winer (assuming that it was him) went to the lengths of positioning the Sousa band at a specific spot in the stereo image.:eek:

Depending on what the primary sound "message" is, -60dB can be a long, long way down in the sound landscape. From my own investigations, AC/DC at significantly less than maximum volume can make it impossible to understand what someone is saying in the room, while a classical track attenuated by -60dB is only just decipherable at maximum volume with my ear jammed up against the speaker driver ...

Frank

Make yourself a favor. Take an audio signal (X), clip-it awfully. Divide-it by a 1/100 resistance's bridge. Add this distorted signal (Y) to the original signal with a potentiometer. Stop when you can hear-it. Measure the level.
Do the calculation: Result in dB= 20 log(Y/X)

What do you think, what is the level of distortions added by interconnect cable?
If I replace my standard Analysis Plus Silver Oval In 1m silver interconnect cables by more cheap Nordost Blue Heaven 1m, sound difference is very easily notable in my system. Could you measure the difference?
In less detailed system, the difference will hardly be notable.

Last edited:
At lower spl level, but same order, between 40 and 50 (it is easy to cut the sheet where it look nicer :)
Not quite ... the results is mostly lying in the range 50-55dB down. This is a particularly fine performing speaker, whose distortion largely falls below their normal limits, if you look at other examples on that site they give a clearer picture of how ragged the curves are for speakers in general.

Also note, these are for outputs measured at 2 metres, not 1, so we are talking about extremely intense SPLs in room: I have a miserable battery operated smoke alarm detector rated at 85dB, and when it goes off from the toast burning it just about rips my head off.

Years ago, in HiFi News they did decent 2nd and 3rd harmonic measurements of mostly very average bookshelf speakers, and a good'un would hit -60dB over quite respectable areas of the spectrum ...

Frank

What do you think, what is the level of distortions added by interconnect cable?.
But little changes in response curves or dynamic behavior of the previous stage, mainly due to capacitance of the cable.
The same cables will surely present no differences in my system, because i can drive high capacitances. Or so small that it is not worth talking about
No need to turn round and round.

But little changes in response curves or dynamic behavior of the previous stage, mainly due to capacitance of the cable.
The same cables will surely present no differences in my system, because i can drive high capacitances. Or so small that it is not worth talking about
No need to turn round and round.

Please, do not oversimplify. If it would be simple cable capacitance, every cable manufacturer would have reliable receipe how to make best cable in the world.

In my system I distinguish, whether a single gold contact of OMRON relay (input selector in integrated tube amp) is present in the signal chain, or it is shorted by silver wire.
Therefore, I mentioned above, that 99% of listeners have no idea what the "micro sound picture" could be. These tiny effects of a single contact, as also reported Ed Simon, has around -140 - 160dB level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.