John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most difficult fit that I have ever had in speaker design was with a horn mid-tweeter, and a direct radiator woofer. This was because of the strange group delay characteristics of the horn near its low frequency cut-off. It is much easier to put two direct radiators together, or even two horns together. John Meyer and I made a virtually 'perfect' transition with a 'transient perfect' electronic crossover and 3 horns, two of which were custom made, the midrange horn using a 2'' throat rather than a 1'' throat in order to reduce horn throat distortion.

They are VERY HEAVY.
My stereo enclosures too.

I had this stupid idea to glue a 1mm lead foil between two of medium and wood, and i injury myself each time i have to ask for help to move them.
I had no virgins around at this time to handcraft them, so i was obliged to assemble the panels by myself. That, and the lead toxicity explain why i'm so tired since this time ?
Tired and retired...

Sell any of your concrete speakers, Wavebourn?

One audiophile in San Francisco bought a pair of my prototypes of studio monitors, to use instead of British speakers he used before. Another pair of arrays (actually, composite inside of glued from pergo boxes) is used by one surgeon in Berkeley. But honestly, it is PITA to make such speakers, John!

Last edited:
T This was because of the strange group delay characteristics of the horn near its low frequency cut-off.
Using witch expansion curve ? There is big differences here.
Why to use a horn lower than one octave from his cut-off frequency with slow filter slope?
I'm pretty sure that I heard the JBL speakers that you referred to, Morinix at a CES a couple of years ago. Pretty darn good!
Easier to understand-you, using this formula
Acceptable distortion = Throat distortion/Selling price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.