John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you class as a world class product:
daresbury particle accelerator, a mass spectrometer,an electron microscope, vehicle intercom system, a radar system, flight control systems, MRI scanner, M777, Nikon D4 etc etc
:D

Certainly not a "vehicle intercom system" which was the only audio product you suggested that we might even be concerned with in this thread? What's your point? Or, are you the devils advocate :redhot: and you don't need to focus on this thread's topic?

I find it hard to understand why epoxy/glass dielectric composition in a PCB, can not be used for 100% of all audio designs!! It is even used for many high power applications, which have metal cores, for say LED mounting applications. I believe that the Tg of epoxy/glass construction approaches or exceeds the maximum junction temperatures of silicon devices. So, is the reason, to not use epoxy/glass construction, is of a signal propagation issue (we are talking audio frequencies here!!) or a thermal issue or both?
Everything does in a sense require justification or it just does not make any logical sense, IMHO

Regards
Rick

Last edited:
I find it hard to understand why epoxy/glass dielectric composition in a PCB, can not be used for 100% of all audio designs!!

Marketing. It's better, apparently, to use a floppy material with high triboelectric properties from which traces readily delaminate because it's more exotic/expensive and somebody wrote an article in a popular audio magazine 40 years ago showing that it was better in a totally unrelated application.

The exception (and even that can be dealt with) is ultra-high impedance applications, i.e., condenser mikes.

These exotic materials can be useful for many things, but audio isn't one, absent fashion and image.

The exception (and even that can be dealt with) is ultra-high impedance applications, i.e., condenser mikes.

In condenser mike I prefer to drill a bigger hole in PCB, and put through it a leg of 1 GB resistor with short Teflon tube on it. :D

I is a single point where coupling capacitor, FET gate (or tube grid), and grid leak resistor met. Well, there may be one more where met each other a wire from capsule, a resistor that supplies polarizing voltage for the capsule, a wire from the capsule, and still the same coupling cap. The same hole in PCB and the same short small Teflon tube is sufficient again. Why should I bother with Teflon PCB if it does not provide any advantages?

Last night I saw a documentary on the Alma telescope project. There, I found WORLD CLASS fabrication and I felt a 'kinship' with the manufacturers of the telescope. It makes my colleagues and my efforts look stingy and compromised by comparison, but at least, we are trying our best, within our budgets.

I am a consultant for a number of audio companies. I have found that every time I allow a 'compromise' in layout, fabrication, parts quality, etc, that I make a mediocre product. Now, FR-4 is good enough for Parasound, and we can get an 'A' rating. But I don't expect any Parasound product to still be held as amongst the greatest audio products ever made, 10 or 20 years beyond their fabrication.
That is why the CTC Blowtorch and Vendetta Research were made with better materials than FR-4, because they had to, and still do to compete with virtually everything in the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.