John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you have proven is that above certain thresholds noise and distortion is audible and noticed to a statistically significant degree.

What these are are by now well established for test tones over headphones in an otherwise anechoically quite environment. In real environments with ambient noise and real signals with masking etc., they are higher, exactly how much by is a lot to do with the signal.
rcw

If after listening for a while, you "learn" to spot something in the sound, why would it go away just because you're not allowed to use anything but your ears?
As I mentioned in an early post, because one's mind likes to perceive continuity in experience. I've had this effect occur to me on numerous occasions, listening to my own and other people's systems: once a certain aspect is recognised which is seen, incorrectly often, to be a contiguous part of the whole then the brain "wants" to keep hearing that same message, and "fills in the gaps".

If the anomaly is filed, within your brain, as something that exists quite apart from the main stimulus, it's extraneous in a very strong sense from the key experience, then it's relatively easy for you, the listener, to pick its absence or presence. For example, very light rain is falling on the roof while listening to music, it stops and starts rapidly; you'll find it very easy to say at any point in time what the current status is. But, then you have the effect of very light rain as a sound effect within the music, that fits in so to speak; and deliberately, effectively stop and start that effect. I would suggest that a lot of people would find it confusing, and make many mistakes when asked whether the effect was there or not.

Frank

Yeah - have a look at Tom Nouisane's site, for example ;)

L.

Okay, thanks. I looked at the "flying blind" paper, though, I don't agree with a lot of what he says. He says we are more sensitive to a stimulus when first exposed to it which is not true. Then he contradicts himself and explains that he'd much prefer an experienced listener doing blind testing as they do much better than inexperienced listeners.

He thinks extended listening is worse. Not true. We respond much more strongly to sounds we are familiar with, and that have importance to us.

I have complaints with most blind tests I see. I will have to do my own blind testing sometime, to satisfy myself as to what I can and can't hear.

John

Last edited:
I have complaints with most blind tests I see. I will have to do my own blind testing sometime, to satisfy myself as to what I can and can't hear.

John
As an example of how I get around my brain trying to "fool" me by glossing over something, is that I deliberately emphasise the characteristic, make it stand out as something apart from the "musical message". So, use very "bad" recordings which means that distortion unconnected with the music really hits you "between the ears", and listen with the ear very close to the tweeter at normal listening levels. Problems with the reproduction are bolded, underlined, increased font size, and marker penned, like all get out, this way ... :D

And don't worry, I don't do this for long, a couple of sec's tells me all I need to know ... :)

Frank

What is the Fermer deal that was beaten to death months ago?

Look here.
I cannot see where and how it was beaten to death, and I'm still waiting for an answer to the last question from Jakob2.

Might be, but it was 5 trial dbt, Fremer did turn in his score sheet (John Atkinson did as well), and Fremer correctly identified the amplifier playing 4 times out of 5. So you got Fremer correct 5 times out of 5 on the same/difference question, correct 4 times out of 5 for the question which amplifier (out of 3 possible) was playing. Atkinson and Fremer as a tag team were correct 9 times out of 10 for the same/difference question.

I don´t know if there were 100 participants overall, but it was reported that no other attendee of the AES-convention, who took the test reached a significant result.
Care to calculate the probabilities that Fremer was just guessing and that Fremer and Atkinson as a tag team were just guessing?

Yeah, it was Lipshitz (and not Vanderkooy) who after Tiefenbrunn´s test realized that the noise level could be detectable; both Lipshitz and Vanderkooy knew already in front of the test, that the relay switching noice could be detectable.

Does this really make an important difference to my description wrt to the sensitivity of that test?

No, it's still incorrect. As is your recounting of the Fremer incident.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but i am not able to see my incorrectness:

Boston Audio Society - ABX Testing article

(written by Stanley P. Lipshitz)

The "Fremer incident" seems to be what i wrote, due to the description of Michael Fremer; afaik no one, not Clark, not Lipshitz expressed that Fremers description of his results was wrong.
Could you please quote the source, which tells other numbers or another story?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
John,

Looks like second stage of JC 80 ? Phono preamp stage with active RIAA bass boost. First stage likely has passive RIAA HF filter at it's output. Was the input jfet 2sk146 or coupled 2sk147 - don't think you were using 2sk389 back then ?
Is there a door prize? A bottle of Patron anjeo ? A six pack of Bud?

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
John,

Looks like the second stage of maybe the JC 80 Phono preamp stage with active RIAA bass boost. First stage if it follows your usual topology likely has passive RIAA HF filter at it's output. Was the input jfet 2sk146 or a pair of thermaly coupled 2sk147 - don't think you were using 2sk389 back then ?
Is there a door prize? A bottle of Patron anjeo ( I don't like the silver) ? A six pack of Bud? Would a double blind test reveal the difference between them or am I so burnt out I couldn't tell?

Last edited:
If after listening for a while, you "learn" to spot something in the sound, why would it go away just because you're not allowed to use anything but your ears?

Because of a possible fault in the test and it's procedure. Such a possible fault may be a change in the way of listening, compared to normal listening, too short listening sessions, etc'.

This is why for such test to be valid, it must be able to give also positive results.

Of course. But, if for example, the switch box does overshadow the differences of two amps, you would have the differences without switchbox but not in the test itself.

That's one reason why it's important to insert, in this example, two amps in the setup which are known to show differences when tested blind.
If the test person can hear it, you may go forward and insert the amps of interest.
If not, either the setup or the test person (or, in other tests, the measurement gear etc.) is incapable of differentiating, despite in an earlier controlled test it was possible to do so.

Just one example.

You do that in many tests. Inserting a kind of baseline group, with known characteristics.
If the DUT's behave differently as previously known, you have to investigate further, and the test as it is is not valid anymore.

Last edited:
I didn't realize that I could confuse anyone with this schematic. No wonder, that its big brother, the Para JC-2 was virtually ignored. (Shock and Awe, I guess) '-)
It comes from a NOT produced discrete phono stage, designed 18 years ago for Parasound. This happens to be the second stage, and it has part of the RIAA in the feedback loop.
The design is modeled closest from the AD825 IC video amp, but with a complementary mos fet output stage. Most parts would be Toshiba, jfet would be 2sk170, but BF862 would probably work OK.
It is here as an alternate example that has been offered to rival the truly complementary jfet input design of the Vendetta. It is not as 'good' if 'quality' or elegance is important, but it will measure and sound very good.

Attachments

• scott type.jpg
    scott type.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 190
I think that selecting
two amps (...) which are known to show differences when tested blind.
without blind testing them could be quite difficult... :D

As far as the switchbox influences and DBT procedures are concerned, I'd like you to have a look at a real example: http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Wired Wisdom.pdf, and tell what in your opinion is wrong with test methodology and results.

L.

You misunderstood.
- Switch box was an example which could influence the outcome due to the test setup. Could be somthing different too. Eg. Room, Speakers, whatever. Not really important, it was an example.

- The two amps formerly tested as being different, difference which had be detected in a earlier DBT test (by, perhaps, different testers in another test setup, but accepted to be different sonically by a scientific method)

I was merely explaining why it's important to have positive controls too.
If the test person is deaf, no difference is there between an IPhone speaker and PA speakers, when you evaluate it's test results.
You have to find out before carrying out your test, that your measurement setup is sensitive enough for a certain task.

Status
Not open for further replies.