John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i said before, I couldn't distinguish them via speakers, only with headphones.

Geddes found in his work on refraction products that sensitivity to these time domain artifacts increased with increasing SPL.

You might find his [Toole's] current discussions on LinkedIn illuminating. Short version: there's so much error in the acoustic field sampling and replay, the phase/waveform shape issues are lost.
Are they lost for speakers' listener at high spls?

I mentioned phase coherence issue on arrays with a real sub. Something tells me that the body participates as well, not only ears.

However, it may be no issue if to play the majority of modern records. They not only have multi-dimensional mix, but often multi-environmental, when different instruments were recorded in different rooms, or even different reverberations applied. When the record is artificial it will always sound artificially, no matter which speakers to use.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
When the record is artificial it will always sound artificially, no matter which speakers to use.
Maybe. It may depend on the skill of the engineer and producer. I've heard some surprising multi-track pop rock mixes that had great space and realism to them. Rare, tho.

BTW, I was the other guy beside SY to hear the phase trick in the test. But only on headphones.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
There are not many low freq if using LP system... cart and roll-off on the LP to reduce hum, rumble, cutter issues and playing time on a side etal cut deep bass. Unfortunately, rsponse down to at least 40 hz is recorded on the master tape and when remade into CD, the bass was sometimes still rolled off if not using the original master.

Status
Not open for further replies.