John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I buy hemp seeds in Whole Foods, grown in Canada, I don't think anybody would ever think of genetically modifying hemp. Eat hemp seeds, they are healthy! I hope they will vote for legalizing hemp in Oregon this autumn, so next year it will be cheaper.
You mean you are buying it! Grow your own like everyone else does.

Note too that : GM seeds can be grown without pesticides etc. Because it says Organically Grown does not mean it isnt produced from a GM seed/plant.

-RNM

Not necessary. I don't hear this effect with line arrays. Well, to certain degree, of course. "Sweet spot" is almost everywhere in the room.
I haven't listened to many line array setups, and others have said similar, so I'll take that. The next sentence is the one, except take the word "almost" out: everywhere in the room is sweet. Even, beside a speaker, or behind it.

I've a number of simple listening tests for this: one is to put on a difficult recording, lots of high level, high frequency information, and see how close you can get to a tweeter before it's obvious where the sound is coming from.

Frank

Note too that : GM seeds can be grown without pesticides etc. Because it says Organically Grown does not mean it isnt produced from a GM seed/plant.

In most countries, organic products also do not contain genetically modified organisms: Organic food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Exclusion of genetically engineered organisms is specified in the IFOAM "Definition of Organic Agriculture": http://www.ifoam.org/growing_organi.../Definition_of_Organic_Agriculture_Report.pdf .

I understand in the audio business one goes with the folklore of the day when it's harmless, good for business.

And a number of "scientists" have been observed (including observed by a Federal Investigator) falsifying data/graphs, altering tests in order to discredit said test, falsifying education. All in the name of marketing?

Seems fair to say both sides of the isle have issues.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I haven't listened to many line array setups, and others have said similar, so I'll take that. The next sentence is the one, except take the word "almost" out: everywhere in the room is sweet. Even, beside a speaker, or behind it.

I've a number of simple listening tests for this: one is to put on a difficult recording, lots of high level, high frequency information, and see how close you can get to a tweeter before it's obvious where the sound is coming from.

16 tweeters 2" wide x 1" high per side on top of each other, hard to hear. I doubt somebody would want to see the movie so close to 9' Targa screen.

Central channel is made as a stick with 64 of round 1" tweeters, from floor to screen, exactly for the seating position.

However, what is bad, reflections from the left wall. I could not move the screen right because I have a door to the bedroom there.

Last edited:
You mean you are buying it! Grow your own like everyone else does.

Unfortunately it is illegal to grow an ordinary hemp here. Medical hemp (so called Marijuana) can be grown up to 6 branches, upon doctor's prescription. Medical hemp is the best pain killer, with no side effects. But it is not for food.

Last edited:
16 tweeters 1" wide x 2" high per side on top of each other, hard to hear. I doubt somebody would want to see the movie so close to 9' Targa screen.

Central channel is made as a stick with 64 of round 1" tweeters, from floor to screen, exactly for the seating position.
Ah, but the trick is to have this level of "invisibility" with a single, conventional tweeter! Why this can occur is a combination of very clean, low distortion sound, and pyschoacoustics, one's ear/brain "fooling" the mind as to what's going on ...

Frank

Ah, but the trick is to have this level of "invisibility" with a single, conventional tweeter! Why this can occur is a combination of very clean, low distortion sound, and pyschoacoustics, one's ear/brain "fooling" the mind as to what's going on ...

The same effect happens here: tiny displacements, very low distortions. And low order crossovers.

Interpretation of language is based on most probable meanings. It felt like JC was talking about subjective satisfaction when he mentioned quality, though of course I can't be sure. 'Fun' likewise is purely subjective. John's not been a numbers guy for as long as I've followed this thread so that context gets thrown into the language decoding process too.

Guess we see things a bit differently. That's all I've seen is John chasing numbers of one sort or another. A quest for objective perfection.

se

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005

Frank

I was a bit disappointed when Robert Greene, whose day job is as a highly respected maths guy, fell for the idea that a wide radiator (e.g. electrostats) has a wide radiation pattern. Quite the contrary Dr. Greene.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Quad Electrostatic with wide radiation pattern -

I was a bit disappointed when Robert Greene, whose day job is as a highly respected maths guy, fell for the idea that a wide radiator (e.g. electrostats) has a wide radiation pattern. Quite the contrary Dr. Greene.

Are you sure he thinks that? --- Dr Greene -- Phd professor of mathematics in SoCal -- knows very well the dispersion/radiation pattern of electrostatic panels... The newer Quad electrostatics are wide and flat but they do have wide radiation due to unique design and not due to width of the speaker. I know Robert Greene and I also own a set of those Quads. -RNM

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
You guys are so full of assumptions and jumping to conclusions --- Dr Greene -- Phd professor of mathematics in SoCal -- knows well the dispersion/radiation pattern of the newer Quads.... which is wide due to unique design. I know - I also own them. -RNM
Richard, with all due respect, Robert screwed up and definitely was not talking about Quads.

Shame on you.

That's me, attempting to design the most 'elegant' electronics I can, keeping the measured distortion as low as the design approach allows.
AND I like to win 'listening contests' which can be 'formal' like that of a review from a name Hi Fi magazine, or 'informal' which can be: "Did you hear the audio system down the hall? It is really worth listening to."
I do not care to do ABX tests or their like. I already know their result, and I fault the test procedure as being flawed. Too many nulls, does not match the reality of the listening experience.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
In most countries, organic products also do not contain genetically modified organisms: Organic food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Exclusion of genetically engineered organisms is specified in the IFOAM "Definition of Organic Agriculture": http://www.ifoam.org/growing_organi.../Definition_of_Organic_Agriculture_Report.pdf .

Thx... I also understand thatEurope does not allow the importation of GMO. Where-as, we eat 80% of our grown food as GMO. GMO is suspected as a cause of illnesses... and vitamin/mineral content is very low now. i use specific suppliments to boost the immune system and by all tests on me, it works super well. Do you take suppliments? -RNM

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Shame on me. I'll talk to him.
I don't know that I would expect him to remember something he wrote many years ago.

The man is an eminent mathematician, certainly so --- I have even read some of his stuff. I wrote to him care of TAS when he made the blunder (which at the time I discussed with Floyd Toole, who generally regarded him as a cogent reviewer, particularly in the company of a lot of the rest of the TAS crowd) and I never got confirmation that he received the message. It was during a time that TAS was on the rocks, financially, so he may never have received the note.

But it is quite reasonable to assume that others with a knowledge of acoustics, and in contact with him more directly, did alert him to the gaffe. And with his quick intellect it may well have been but a brief reflection to correct his misapprehension. I was not at UCLA at that point, so couldn't merely go to his office and engage him.

To place the review, it was at the time RG, in the same piece in TAS, also described a room correction box ---perhaps one of the "best of" series. Name started with an "S" I believe --- it was one of the early ones, with DSPs the best of the day crunching numbers like hell wouldn't have it. Perhaps Demian (good at recalling these things in particular) may remember it.

Brad Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.