John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My contribution: I hope that it answers a few questions. It is not the complete CTC Blowtorch power supply, but it is close enough for discussion.

I would keep the +and - supplies completely separate and then only combine them after regulation. Then your audio ground cannot get mixed up with the PSU ground.

I mentioned in an earlier post a few other tricks to keep the supply rails conducting only DC (or as near as dammit to DC). On the amplifier ground side, split it into decoupling ground and signal ground. You will have AC in the ground, but at least it's split into two parts then: signal AC and decoupling AC.

:)

Bonsai, you mean well, so I will explain. The split bobbin low coupling capacitance transformers that we use, do NOT have or need a screen, because of the large physical spacing between primary and secondary.
The Harris hi speed-soft recovery diodes don't appear to need any snubbers, but I would not question someone adding them.

What we used. I hope it explains a few points.

Attachments

• split-tran.jpg
    split-tran.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 255
My contribution: I hope that it answers a few questions. It is not the complete CTC Blowtorch power supply, but it is close enough for discussion.

I would keep the +and - supplies completely separate and then only combine them after regulation. Then your audio ground cannot get mixed up with the PSU ground.

I mentioned in an earlier post a few other tricks to keep the supply rails conducting only DC (or as near as dammit to DC). On the amplifier ground side, split it into decoupling ground and signal ground. You will have AC in the ground, but at least it's split into two parts then: signal AC and decoupling AC.

:)

You are absolutely right Bonsai - it appears not everyone including some
'heads of state' here understand this. :)

T

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, U-U core as I understand it, but yeah, those. While I can see that they'd have a bit higher interwinding capacitance, they also have a bit smaller radiated field as far as I know, which has its benefits.

se

I just checked a power supply design I'm working on with one of those types of transformers for capacitance from primary to DC output: 38 pF. While a double shielded transformer can be lower (.001 pF for a Topaz) it only is if you can really manage the shield connections optimally. 38 pF is low enough that the cord orientation may be a bigger problem.

I would use the Medical version to eliminate the Line/Neutral to ground caps. The current to ground, especially if that ground connects to audio, is not helpful. Worse is the misguided effort removing the ground connection with those filters, pulling the chassis to 1/2 of the line potential.

Which Medical version do you mean? I have not seen filters without that Y-caps, so I never used them.

I just checked a power supply design I'm working on with one of those types of transformers for capacitance from primary to DC output: 38 pF. While a double shielded transformer can be lower (.001 pF for a Topaz) it only is if you can really manage the shield connections optimally. 38 pF is low enough that the cord orientation may be a bigger problem.

Which cord orientation is worse, gay, straight or bi? :p

Thanks, Demian!

se

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
John, the Signal Splitrans are nice transformers. I used them on an intrumentation product when I worked in the USA 25 years ago, although on recent audio projects have gone with Amveco. I would concede that the Amveco's have higher pri-sec C, but they are mechanically very good and low profile. Agree with the snubber comment.

Wavebourn, Schaffner - AC mains filters. There are some who believe any ferrite material - even on the AC side of a piece of audio equipment - alters it for the worse. I do not believe ferrite can do that so thats why I said I have no qualms using these devices.

Last edited:
the high isolation double shielded transformer .001 pF spec can be misinterpreted - relies on your having gnds for the shields that you don't mind rather large parasitic winding-shield C, quite ordinary or slighlty larger shield-shield parasitic C too

It is not a problem, since currents from shields are under control, and isolated in own closed loops. However, parasitic capacitance between primary and shield is kind of a problem for ground loop between interconnected equipment through the outlet, but filter without Y - caps would help.

I would say, for power amps with transformer balanced inputs it is not a problem at all; I never heard "sounding power cords" on my amps. Nor on mic pres and consoles, since inputs and outputs are transformer balanced. :D

The majority of problems are results of "rules of dumbs" instead of careful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.