John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it the LED which enabled RF to enter the amp, or the wires which enabled RF to enter the amp? I think we agree it was probably the latter, in which the cause is not 'LED outside the cage' but 'wires outside the cage'. This distinction is important, because it avoids people running away with the idea that 'LEDs cause bad sound'. No, poor EMC performance can cause bad sound - but in an environmentally-dependent way which might create confusion in equipment reviews, as I have never seen a review which mentions the RFI environment in which it took place.

This analysis, of course, does indeed 'explain' this untoward fascination with digital audio, of whatever type it may be.

And how audio, overall, as an enterprise, 'broke' with what is real and important, back in the 90's and is only now beginning to recover.

Sort of.

The 'humanity' was stripped out of music as it might be reproduced.... as the core component of how we hear and understand aurically..was left dead in the street, as compared to analog reproduction's innate strengths. We did not know exactly what it was that we ran over and left dead, we possessed no serious realization of where and how the loss occurred.

All we knew, was that it was gone, it was leaving.

All over the sake of the bell curve of humanity's condition, moving itself to placate the middle of said curve, and ignoring the more aware among us. As it always does and always will.

Last edited:
No, but basic physics does.

Don't forget to add 'how humans hear' to this physics scenario, otherwise the physics will be quite misapplied and quite wrong....as it is a sum equation, not a dogmatic biblical physics exception.

One might say that the dogmatic issue is part of the human body's most basic design, part of the autonomous function of subconscious expression and I/o filtering.

Thus no physicist, with any sort of true in-depth self honesty, should ever find themselves incapable of bearing the full brunt of their own in-depth self-reflection.

Yet, that is the condition of ~99.999% of all humanity, deeply unaware and incapable of facing the depth of the self. To find the self-lie or missed point. Buried in the autonomous function, outside of logic and conscious rumination.

Science and physics can be as faulted as any religion or dogma that it proposes to sweep away.

This is due to the incapacity (which can be corrected) for self-reflection of the people that are within it.

This is a basic truism, borne into existence through any form of bare self honesty that encompasses any form of depth.

Have fun dealing with it.

Last edited:
Don't forget to add 'how humans hear' to this physics scenario, otherwise the physic will be quite misapplied and quite wrong....as it is a sum equation, not a dogmatic biblical physics exception.

You are correct, of course, though probably those with a set agenda will ignore everything which doesn't fit their belief system.

Yet, that is the condition of ~99.999% of all humanity, deeply unaware and incapable of facing the depth of the self. To find the self-lie or missed point. Buried in the autonomous function, outside of logic and conscious rumination.

Here you deal with something which although it is a true fact, the majority of human beings are unable to comprehend.

When there actually are audible differences, yes. Very basic physics, in fact.

I agree SY.

But ....how to connect the two... to the final aspect of hearing it, and what all that means in the grand total sense with all the minutiae properly placed and thought out..... there's the rub.

The problem tends to come down to the point of one's expression on human limits of perception. A seeming projected idealization of one's current capacity for discernment, as defining limits for and of others.

Once tripped through the logical flow parameters required, we get to an aspect regarding issues that surround and involve self review. From which no-one, that I am aware of, is excepted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5RezHp9GtI

Last edited:
Wow! All this over NOT putting an UNNECESSARY LED as a pilot light.
For the record, I use LED's in the JC-1, JC-2, and JC-3, all 'A' rated products. I even use LED's as bias diodes in the output stage of the JC-2 preamp.
It might well be the mere installation of the LED is the true problem, in some circumstances, the skimpy unshielded wires, the necessary hole made in the front chassis and the extra diameter often needed by the plastic housing for the LED, could be problematic.
PMA should be jumping up and down over this, by now. He certainly has given me enough grief over the 'imperfect' but necessary holes in the back of the chassis, for inputs, outputs and power supply wires.

Your vocabulary is unfortunate. The problem is left brain-right brain communication. Left brain is analytical and very verbal - drills down like a microscope. Right brain is big picture and less verbal - displays like rich field telescope.

Things don't go as well as they might when the two sides don't communicate well. And that can be difficult as the side that is 'sending the message' does so by inhibiting the conscious activity of the other. The other side doesn't always allow itself to be inhibited.

This is not always easy to spot in self or others unless the situation is extreme.

See Iain McGilchrist.

Don't forget to add 'how humans hear' to this physics scenario, otherwise the physics will be quite misapplied and quite wrong....as it is a sum equation, not a dogmatic biblical physics exception.

One might say that the dogmatic issue is part of the human body's most basic design, part of the autonomous function of subconscious expression and I/o filtering.

Thus no physicist, with any sort of true in-depth self honesty, should ever find themselves incapable of bearing the full brunt of their own in-depth self-reflection.

Science and physics can be as faulted as any religion or dogma that it proposes to sweep away.

This is due to the incapacity (which can be corrected) for self-reflection of the people that are within it.

This is a basic truism, borne into existence through any form of bare self honesty that encompasses any form of depth.

Have fun dealing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.