John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to Jack Bybee this morning. He has a newer, even MORE expensive product, and he can't make them fast enough. He is on a mission to help audiophiles, and he can't break away to have lunch. That's the way it goes.

Jack Bybee, he knowns me, he knows I'm right
I've been talking to Bybee, all my life...

Gerhard

for more:
Genesis - Jesus He Knows Me (1991) - YouTube

They even have the Bentley or sth. like that :)

Last edited:
It might have helped if John had said why he would have used two resistors for the LED he didn't fit. He mentioned power supply imbalance as a 'problem'. The LED wires acting as an RF conduit only got a mention later, after chrissugar introduced his story about a particularly severe EMC situation. Why does John love to be mysterious?

A forward-biased LED will need an awful lot of RF to disturb it, like any forward biased diode. Even an unbiased one needs more than a normal diode, because of the higher turn-on voltage. Some people have experimented with using LEDs instead of Schottky diodes for high-level balanced mixers, because they can better cope with RF power. I suspect it is the wires and not the LED which are to blame.

So Mr.Curl does not want to use an led.........lets not make a federal case out of it.

You are pulling the rug under the feet of some people here.
Some people here have a vendetta – condemning everything and everyone who, to their view, addresses things which are outside what they consider as 'good engineering'. When they are confronted with aspects which aren't included in what they consider as 'good engineering', they attack.

Forward biased by 10 mA current diode demodulates RF inside of the box full of semiconductor devices with nanoamp input currents?

The diode's bias doesn't eliminate RF on the diode's return from polluting the 'ground' of the PSU and thus the entire amp.

Don't make my slippers laugh please. Most probably that innocent LED was soldered to the ground in wrong place, so it's wire acted as antenna.

Possibly, as much as possibly RF presented at any point of the amp's 'ground' will have the same negative effect.

Joshua_G said:
The diode's bias doesn't eliminate RF on the diode's return from polluting the 'ground' of the PSU and thus the entire amp.
So you agree that it is probably the wire and not the LED which creates any problems? That is all we were saying. So what we said was probably correct, but it was wrong for us to say it as that is disrespectful to the guru?

So you agree that it is probably the wire and not the LED which creates any problems? That is all we were saying. So what we said was probably correct, but it was wrong for us to say it as that is disrespectful to the guru?

The problem was caused by the fact that there was a LED in the front of the speakers, outside the faraday cage. The fact the RF entered the amp through the LED's wires is a side issue, it is obvious – the LED didn't produce RF pollution, it only enabled RF entering the amp, via its' wires.

OK, let me get this straight.

- The supplies in the BT are so poor that a 5mA current will "unbalance" them.
- Series connections between rails require resistors on each side, ignoring Kirchoff's law
- If a known crazy person says that she can "hear" a 5mA device with insanely low noise connected nowhere near a signal path, that should be the primary engineering consideration
- RFI (or some other emanation) that has never been detected in the physical universe should be addressed by bypass caps

And you wonder why I'm cynical about fashion "high end audio"?

I'm cynical about your professed level of audio knowledge and understanding.

Look at the human hearing mechanism.

Then consider that the minutest change in the most minute aspects of transient function is the single core component of signal that the ear utilizes and decodes.

Thus, every bit of what the signal does in order to get to that point where the transient is supported and 'placed exactly and correctly as it must be in time, shape, and level', all of it becomes critical.

Ultra critical, down to the micro level, in relation to another given micro level ....and in relation, on the micro level, to all the macro level that needs to be, at minimum, as correct.

Look at how an LED deals with transient function, regarding V and A and see what it reflects back to the power supply.

And if any sort of feedback regulation, or feedback of any kind is used, then said feedback it is chasing the horse AFTER it has left the barn and thus is over correcting a mistake, into being another mistake. specifically with respect to those all important micro levels.

Then, those micro levels are slewed in time and level, and thus the ear hears them as as a separate and elevated noise, and among the less aware, they will confuse this with detail information. When it is actually..distortion. (depending on the aspects of the correction, it might be interpreted as a lack of information and/or darkness)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.