John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharing the same stlye power sockets?? :eek::crazy:

Criminal!

New York City was the first place to get electric service. Edison did it and it was all DC! The standard outlet was designed by Edison and his gang, so it is the Westinghouse and AC folks who just adopted it.

Now Con Edison continued to provide DC until NOVEMBER 2007 to those folks who used it. By then they had provided regulators and rectifiers at each building that still needed DC! There had been electric DC service for 125 years until then.

The issue was not with lighting, but with motors. Until recently virtually all elevators used DC motors for a smoother ride. So there still are buildings that use DC and in NYC they got it direct from the manufacturer. Of course part of the length of service would be that the subways are DC.

Last edited:
New York City was the first place to get electric service. Edison did it and it was all DC! The standard outlet was designed by Edison and his gang, so it is the Westinghouse and AC folks who just adopted it.

My last house was next door to the Wentworth house 1888 (founded Wentworth Institute) as of 1991 or so he (the current owner) still had some tube and open wire in service. Channels were morticed into oversized kickboards.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Sharing the same stlye power sockets??

Criminal!""

Check out my Taiwan Electricians Code experience over in the Musical Fidelity A1-X thread - two identical double 2 pin sockets next to each other. One wired for 110, the other for 220. Only through luck have I not fried more equipment.

Still, not as bad as running a 115V DC line into an Orchestra pit. I hope the facilities manager had his *** kicked straight out of that job.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

Attachments

• colours-screenshot.jpg
    colours-screenshot.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 301
which ceramics? - as we always have to remind people there are different fromulations, NP0/C0G are not piezo, have better DA than some film, mica caps

I have measured distrotion bleow -100 dB in NP0 in a 2nd order fliter at ~ 1/4 fc - such that there was significant dV across the C
Bruce Hofer seemed to think my distortion measurement was unually high for good NP0 - so even better may be expected depending on manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.