John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, and that's why they are a little bit easier manipulated, and why they give conflicting reports and cannot agree what sounds best, SE, balanced, PP, no feedback, high feedback, you name it.

I got Vol. 3 Friday and it's amazing how varied the opinions are even among the "white hats". Dick Marsh even said something that made me cringe, more later (as John says).

John, it has nothing to do with causations. It all is about correlation, nothing more, Just results of experiments that have no explanation. You reaction speaks against your statement about scientists: you are trying already to argue prior to reading conditions of the problem. ;)
Nope. Try again.

Well, I posted two of his papers, but that got you mad, too. I guess nothing short of uncritical acceptance will do?
It certainly appears that way. He clearly wishes reasonable criticisms of sloppy work begone, not to exist.
The accont that Zap linked to had some very specific criticisms of the "experiments," and that's apparently waved away.
What did you expect? Specific criticisms are not unconditional acceptance.

Nothing got me mad, Stuart. It got me arguments that scientists are biased people, stubborn believers. :D
You've still not made your case.

See how you are biased? :D

I repeated many times that I don't mean any theories, I ignore Radin's musings, but draw attention to experiments and results of plain andd dumb statistical analysis, but you are like always wearing earplugs continue arguing against some kind of post-hoc cherry-picked weak tea. :D

You even refuse to understand conditions of the problem! :D

It is possible to formulate any theoretical construct one wishes, run a statistical analysis on any dataset to support such a construct, and publish on the web a really good page explaining the phenomena such that many gullible people will believe it. Nature of the human beast.

A good scientist will examine the statements, look at the construct, then examine closely the statistical analysis. A good scientist will usually spot when the analysis was designed to support a foregone conclusion.

Quite the opposite, that's when things get interesting. For example, the superluminal neutrinos (that ended up being not so superluminal- there's that damn falsification stuff again!). But you equate lousy data with unexplained data, and that's where we part company.
Agreed.

You see? You always have an explanation that is very convenient, for inconvenient evidences. ;)
Note that we are not explaining "inconvienient evidence", but rather,
falsification of statistics via statistical evidence cherry picking, and implied causation.
Yes. And now John can speak free, without any fear that some stubborn religious believer in own scientifically - proven scepticism put his words in doubt.
Religion plays no role in my thinking on this subject. Is there any possibility that you can discuss intelligently the topic without resorting to attacking? You have called me a liar, you've called scientists as a whole arrogant, now you are claiming I am a "religious believer". \

Try actual discussion, that would be better. Not attacking in liu of.

There are exceptions, but as a whole much of what presents itself as "scientific" in this day and age has more in common with the South Sea islanders and their fake planes, than with a true enquiry into the world of the real.

Ciao T
That is a significant problem nowadays as a result of the web. To me, the biggest problem is people are losing the ability to be able to discern fact from fiction in google searches.

Outside the narrow confines of the ABX Mafia there exists a large body of blind testing that supports many audiophile assertions of difference, though they are not specifically aimed that way nor specifically or widely published.

Meanwhile the ABX Mafia's experimental and statistical method has been heavily criticised for decades, with at least some of the criticism showing that the experimental is very heavily biased towards null results.

Your use of the term ABX mafia is unwarranted. Please discuss facts.

One such fact: I happen to agree that existing test methodology is insufficient for the task.
Yes. Paradigm shifts in understanding are driven by evidence. Fashion and religion are driven by story-telling.
Total agreement.

Cheers, j

elaboration.

It is possible to formulate any theoretical construct one wishes, run a statistical analysis on any dataset to support such a construct, and publish on the web a really good page explaining the phenomena such that many gullible people will believe it. Nature of the human beast.

Cases in point:

1. Publication of a cell phone causes brain cancer link. It was "proven" statistically that cell phones cause brain cancer because more cancers happen on the side of the brain closest to the ear people use for calls. Since the researchers "accidentally forgot" to include the actual statistical data in their published account, mass hysteria in the general population resulted. Turns out the sample size was 99 cases of brain cancer, and 50 were on the side of the head the user preferred to use, 49 were on the other side. That concern still rages on..

2. Childhood lukemia (IIRC) was linked to powerlines statistically, as there was an increased level of occurance wherever a school was near power transmission lines. Turned out, many powerlines were located based on a decision to give the right of way because the land was contaminated. Yet the decision to put the schools nearby missed that "datapoint". And still, some point to the link between e/m fields and cancer..

3. Immunization and autism...

4. Aluminum and alzheimers..

The list goes on.

It is very important to understand the underlying data, experimental design, methodology, data analysis techniques... Without that care, you see what transpires..when a good scientist reads about an experiment, they will also consider how it was done. It must be of a level sufficient to satisfy the scientific method. Otherwise, questions MUST be asked.

Calling any group of humans closed minded, arrogant, liars, conspirators as an argument "technique" in liu of reasonable discourse.. will be taken to task..

j

Last edited:
SY,

Let's talk about the limits of ABX testing. As you are aware there have been many faulty experiments where there was a factor that the experimenters were unaware of that affected the results. It was only when such factors come to light that the issue is clarified.

The classic audio example was when it was shown that people liked low bandwidth music better than full range. Harry Olson constructed an acoustical filter version using a live band and demonstrated that the other seriously done experiments were in error. They had not understood the distortion products in their experiment.

That is why it should be well understood you can not disprove negative results. So even though we may find humor in DB pseudo-science papers, the possibility always exists that something real may be there. As time is finite (at least as most of us are concerned) we may wish to restrain our activities to something more productive. However expecting others to behave the same is quite possibly irrational!

Jan,

One of the adages of the advertising business is that mass production requires mass markets and to get that requires mass advertising. Advertising is used to not just announce products but to influence perception. Now if you read the Phlogiston wiki entry you can see how what was accepted fact is today's nonsense.

Being human involves imperfect senses and logic, so being fooled or making mistakes is just part of existence. When commonly accepted facts and opinions are presented as the same it becomes more difficult to distinguish them. Does the Earth really revolve around the Sun? Or is it not a true circle but a modified exponential yielding to Fourier analysis?

Scott,

White Hats? What a confession of bias!

Now when we listen to stuff here, we usually use an AB switch and some things everyone can hear, so we generally accept it as good data. The there are things some of use hear and Dave didn't. (So Dave now works for someone else doing speaker on stick gigs.) So Dave was not convinced about such data, but those of us who thught it was clear would base design decisions on that data.

Then there are those things that you kind of think you hear, but aren't really sure. If it costs nothing to add that to a design it will go in. If there is expense involved it may not.

Now then there are cases where there are clear measurements showing something is going on, but is at the maybe I hear something level. One of the limits to the testing is the actual switching mechanism. So for those cases we implement the change to a system and listen to it for a long while. The change is then removed unannounced. If anyone notes that things have changed then that counts around here as a positive result.

Now we do measurements all the time. We also do ones that other folks don't do. Those are of course the ones I think are important and we really don't tell anyone else what they are. But other folks can tune a stadium in a day or two and it takes my crew two weeks. Now the result is that In the first year of operation (Meaning we still maintain it under warranty) complaints are below .08% for out worst results.

Now we would not be doing what we do if it were not for our listening experiments and the experience of others who I trust, no matter what their method of investigation is (or was.)

ES

Psychoacoustics

Human brains are too advanced to process sound solely on the basis of one sound being minutely different from another. Human brains can detect minute differences, but largely only differences that are meaningful to humans. That's not all, humans are also capable of selective attention, meaning we can focus on parts of sound. Think about that, what does the mind's perceived response look like? First of all, it's not flat, second, it's constantly changing. If you listen to a string of notes being played your focus follows the notes through the frequency range. So you're not only focusing on one aspect of the sound, you're following it throughout the frequency range and pushing down the frequencies around it as you do so. Finally, there's emotion, chemical responses to music/sound that are going to literally alter my hearing sensitivity, or cause me to zone into one facet of the sound with microscope like focus. Imagine yourself alone in the forest and you thought you heard a bear, vs. alone in your apartment and you thought you heard the fridge compressor humming. Situational focus is HUGE for human perception. It all adds up to a complex experience that is probably impossible to measure, changes from listen to listen, from listener to listener, and is probably best described as intangible, though very, very real.

Well said! These aural processing factors (along with the visual ones which are simultaneously processed and perhaps MORE distracting), are more significant in terms of final aural experience IMHO than many design factors we have discussed. Fine post, imminent! My own thoughts about these factors center around stabilizing the listening environment so as to minimize them, but as you point out, this can never be achieved with 100% repeatability...because an AB test is never really an AB! It is an A(at time a) B(at time b) test. Life is a spiral; not a circle. :rolleyes:

Still, I think we should agree that these circuit and system design factors HAVE an effect that can be cumulative. If they are minimized, then when the experience allows (given your well stated criteria) the experience is that much better!

Great discussion!

Howie

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM 89.3
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
1st on the internet
now with new improved flavor crystals

A good scientist will examine the statements, look at the construct, then examine closely the statistical analysis. A good scientist will usually spot when the analysis was designed to support a foregone conclusion.

So, what's the problem? Do you have anything regarding particular case except empty statements about how good are good scientists, and how bad are audiophiles? Why you instead of examining statement, looking at the construct, continue attacking messengers using empty common phrases?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Human brains are too advanced to process sound solely on the basis of one sound being minutely different from another. Human brains can detect minute differences, but largely only differences that are meaningful to humans. That's not all, humans are also capable of selective attention, meaning we can focus on parts of sound. Think about that, what does the mind's perceived response look like? First of all, it's not flat, second, it's constantly changing. If you listen to a string of notes being played your focus follows the notes through the frequency range. So you're not only focusing on one aspect of the sound, you're following it throughout the frequency range and pushing down the frequencies around it as you do so. Finally, there's emotion, chemical responses to music/sound that are going to literally alter my hearing sensitivity, or cause me to zone into one facet of the sound with microscope like focus. Imagine yourself alone in the forest and you thought you heard a bear, vs. alone in your apartment and you thought you heard the fridge compressor humming. Situational focus is HUGE for human perception. It all adds up to a complex experience that is probably impossible to measure, changes from listen to listen, from listener to listener, and is probably best described as intangible, though very, very real.

Excellent post. Thank you.

jan

I don't need another reason not to cook on aluminum. :D
:D:D

The link between aluminum and alzheimers ended up being "re-considered" then abandoned when it was discovered that someone did some heavy ductwork modification/repair at the lab where the initial work was performed. Turned out someone was grinding aluminum, and it routed through the HVAC ductwork and contaminated the alzheimers samples.

Needless to say, I now have to blame some other vector...:dead:

j

:D:D

The link between aluminum and alzheimers ended up being "re-considered" then abandoned when it was discovered that someone did some heavy ductwork modification/repair at the lab where the initial work was performed. Turned out someone was grinding aluminum, and it routed through the HVAC ductwork and contaminated the alzheimers samples.

Needless to say, I now have to blame some other vector...:dead:

j

I am in the city that had the largest aluminum manufacturing and research facility around. Original work into superconductors was being done in this facility. IIRC, 3000 research personal at the peak, all on and about aluminum research (Alcan research).

Point being, that Alzheimers levels are....highest in this area.... and highest among the retired factory floor workers.

So, what's the problem? Do you have anything regarding particular case except empty statements about how good are good scientists, and how bad are audiophiles? Why you instead of examining statement, looking at the construct, continue attacking messengers using empty common phrases?
Again, if you wish to discuss, please do so instead of this continued attack.

I have not attacked you. I pointed out that the flagrant dismissal of a subset of humans as arrogant because they are scientists will not be tolerated. Please leave the conspiracy thinking somewhere else.

Now, another lie of yours...please point out where I stated audiophiles are bad.

j

I am in the city that had the largest aluminum manufacturing and research facility around. Original work into superconductors was being done in this facility. IIRC, 3000 research personal at the peak, all on and about aluminum research (Alcan research).

Point being, that Alzheimers levels are....highest in this area.... and highest among the retired factory floor workers.

Please point to any study performed which shows this assertion to be true. Published, peer reviewed studies.

No anecdotal evidence will suffice. New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, whatever...

Conspiracy websites also need not apply, don't bother with links to those..

j

Again, if you wish to discuss, please do so instead of this continued attack.

Referring to the data that chalenges beliefs indeed may be perceived as an attack. My point was to show you your own reactions to demonstrat that if somebody is scientist it does not mean that he/she is free from such reactions, and the fact that somebody is scientist can not be used as proof that he/she is right speakng about perception of sounds.

The only way that I know how to 'prove' if I am on the right track is to have people that I do not know, to like it, and even admire the effort, especially when whatever I have made has not been marketed in any way, except to hope that people will try it.
The idea that there is, or was, advanced marketing behind the Vendetta Research SCP-2, for example, is nonsense. It was successful (for the most part) because I tried everything that I could think of, to make it as 'perfect' as possible. I still made mistakes, and these 'oversights' were reflected in the A,B,C, and D mods that came out, over the years as I came to realize their sonic importance.

the vendetta was always desirable, right from the beginning. word got out, quick.

the way it went is that people shared the point of it being 'spectacular', as if the information was valuable, like people jostling for a chance to get into a line up. People were almost reluctant to share the information on how good it was, to be sure that they might have a chance at getting one, some day.

This is the sort of thing that happens around the best products. specifically among the crowd that goes for a no-nonsense correctness in the sonic presentation, over that of any 'immature' glossiness or 'shine' to the sonic presentation. The subset of audiophiles who go for naturalness in sound is much smaller in numbers than the glitz crowd, the glitz crowd being of a neophyte nature, in most cases. The audiophiles that went for the vendetta were of a nature that was fanatical about music over that of equipment, which is a key difference over that of the neophyte, who were possibly musically inclined .....but still oriented around the equipment.

Only if one is lucky (as a producer of said gear), does a music oriented piece of consumer equipment actually make it to superstar status in sales figures. This usually happens due to the thing gaining reputation and then the neophytes getting a hold of it, psychologically (idealization), as a 'covetous' item and thus driving up the sales and the pricing.

Sometimes this helps them become true music fanatics, but, usually... they simply flip (audiogon and ebay gear flippers) it after a few months, and move back into mediocrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.