John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right; and sockets and connectors made to looks the same not always work the same. Cargo cult. But it is not about magnetic properties. It is about contacts. John already mentioned bi-metal wires, where still core was surrounded by thick layer of copper. It works well, despite of magnetic material used, because each of 2 metals serve own function: steel for mechanical stability, copper for electrical conductivity. But when layer is thin, and it is plated, things are different.

the bare fact of a physical mechanism like magnetic material hysteresis isn't however an explanation of the audiophile recommendation to avoid magnetic materials in circuits

as a precision instrumentation designer, having read extensively on the subject of analog circuit design for precision applications over a 30 year career I have never seen mention of steel core component leads, resistor end caps as a limitation to at least -120 dB on measured distortion products in low level analog circuitry

I recall one reference to Ni plated connectors giving -130? dB distortion products in kW RF connectors

there are several accounts of magnetic field leakage from air core inductors interacting with steel chassis, ect giving measurable distortion so I suppose you could "see" magnetic component leads in the leakage path of an inductor - so we have one avoidable condition that may have measurable effect
Bruce Hofer related an anecdote that the steel lid did give some measurable distortion in an AP analyzer's oscillator circuit - not wanting to give up on the external magnetic field shielding they added a thin Al plate to the inside of the lid over the sensitive circuit and the Eddy current "shielding" was enough

I don’t recall Williams, Edgar mentioning “magnetic” resistor leads as a limitation in their designs of ultra low distortion audio oscillators

and of course there is the further logical conundrum of transformers and electrodynamic drivers often at both ends of the recording process with clearly measurable distortions from magnetic material nonlinearity
with our analog circuitry with basically immeasurable effects from magnetic component leads in the middle

it would be far more convincing if there were actual measurements showing these hypothesized "audible" magnetic component leads, endcaps, connector plating distortion (IM too) magnitude, spectrums...

the answer comes when you look at the ear/brain as a system.

The ear does not care that the distortions are so low in level. The ear does not work on or in engineering terms or logic weighting.

the ear hears sum total values, nothing more... and certainly nothing less.

So the 100-130db down 'distortions' are not on the bottom of the signal... 'swamped', at all.

To the ear, the distortions shift the peak values about, in the micro domain, and are thus heard by the ear.

It truly is that simple.

A case of improper weighting and improper analysis.

This is utter nonsense Ed. It is well known that differences in fingerprints is a statistical issue. The chances that two fingerprints from different persons match to a specific degree are very small but not zero. Once in a while two DO match, with unfortunate consequences for the innocent person.

DNA differences are much more pronounced, but you can just wait for the case that an innocent guy/girl gets hanged because he /she was unfortunate enough to have the same DNA (within the bounds of detectability) as the real offender.
Another reason not to hang people.

jan

DNA differences are only true for some portions of the chromosome, and if there is contamination from other species there may be uninteded lines that confuse the matching a lot, and then there is the errors in multiplication used to get enough out of very small samples.

Most scientists and those who profess a supposedly scientific world view categorically arrogantly deny such a possibility, which is highly unsafe given the history of science.

I enjoy a rather large set of scientists, physicists, and engineers with whom I have the pleasure of working with around the world, most of them among the best in the world.. And absolutely NONE of them have attributes consistent with your assumption. NONE...

It is a romantic notion to believe that the "scientists" believe such sillyness, but it is not accurate. Please refrain from characterizing large groups of people so incorrectly.

j

This is utter nonsense Ed. It is well known that differences in fingerprints is a statistical issue. The chances that two fingerprints from different persons match to a specific degree are very small but not zero. Once in a while two DO match, with unfortunate consequences for the innocent person.

DNA differences are much more pronounced, but you can just wait for the case that an innocent guy/girl gets hanged because he /she was unfortunate enough to have the same DNA (within the bounds of detectability) as the real offender.
Another reason not to hang people.

jan

Jan,

In this country it is the PERCEPTION of perfection by judges and juries that matters. People have been hung, shot and otherwise thrown in prison because of the perception that fingerprint evidence is absolutely foolproof. That case where all of the experts found 15 or more points of agreement changed the way the issue is now handled.

Texas kills a couple dozen folks per year (Sometimes more sometimes less.) Now what perception of the evidence do you think has been used in many of those cases.

As to the death penalty, there actually are a few cases where it seems reasonable. (21 years for mass murder seems to most too little.) Around here it costs more in legal fees to get to an execution that it would cost for life imprisonment. So ignoring the error rate issue, which is a political sticky issue, I argue that prison guards can use the pay better than lawyers!

So why are you arguing facts when you know it is perception! :)

I enjoy a rather large set of scientists, physicists, and engineers with whom I have the pleasure of working with around the world, most of them among the best in the world.. And absolutely NONE of them have attributes consistent with your assumption. NONE...

It is a romantic notion to believe that the "scientists" believe such sillyness, but it is not accurate. Please refrain from characterizing large groups of people so incorrectly.

j

I put that one back on you John. (not directly, mostly so others can hear the debate aspects being voiced)

As in, millions of audiophiles can't be wrong. Misinformed, mis-educated, unaware, not really understanding the complexities of the physics involved; but they know what they hear, and ~that~.... is not wrong.

It is well beyond subjective, as it is relational and comparative across a large cross-section of people, with repeatable accuracy, regarding their ability to relate information/data... to one another.

It is simply not well framed in terms of logical methodology of physics research.

And that is not a crime, nor is it in error. It is merely a situation requiring a relational bridge.

:)

Last edited:
Well, I have worked with a few physicists and engineers too, over the decades. So what?
What works is what is, not proofs due to measurement, perhaps too subtle for easy and consistent results. I have put forth conclusions of 'what works' from work 10-20 years ago. IF they did not work, we would not continue them, no matter what the 'story'. Why, for example, is the Vendetta Research phono preamp so appreciated, even when it has not been made for 20 years? Maybe we did 'something' right?

I put that one back on you John. (not directly, mostly so others can hear the debate aspects being voiced)

As in, millions of audiophiles can't be wrong. Misinformed, mis-educated, unaware, not really understanding the complexities of the physics involved; but they know what they hear, and ~that~.... is not wrong.

I said nothing about audiophiles.

I said the characterization of scientists given was incorrect.

Nothing more....nothing less.

j

I said nothing about audiophiles.

I said the characterization of scientists given was incorrect.

Nothing more....nothing less.

j

yes, John. apologies.

I was simply using that developed issue of mis-characterization to illustrate that we are up against a psychological realization issue -over that of science and proofing.

alchemy, Buddhism, etc... specifically make a point about changing the man in the situation. That the limit of logic and extrapolation, is the man, not the reality or the logic. The limit is always going to be the man. Physician... heal thyself.

This is relevant regarding the situation around where a human may hear vanishing low distortions in audio signals, or not.

Millions of audiophiles know what they hear. they are not connected to the idea of scientific methodology and all surrounding it, they are connected to what they hear. they speak honestly and truly about what they hear and can successfully relate and test for those results.

Then we get to the idea of the 'bulk' of current 'applied to audio' scientific methodology finding fault..... with what the audiophiles so plainly hear.

(place giant seemingly never ending debate here)

In the final analysis, the man attempting the science must change, for a barrier in psychology has been reached, not one of reality, or science.

snip...Then we get to the idea of the 'bulk' of current 'applied to audio' scientific methodology finding fault..... with what the audiophiles so plainly hear.

As one of science, the first question scientific reasoning requires is: ""Prove your assertions under conditions which remove expectation bias"".

Audiophiles seem incapable of providing such under controlled testing regimens.

However, also as one of science, I have examined the testing methodology used to date and find it lacking rigor. Confounders which are not understood are simply ignored as a result. I therefore cannot consider lack of positive results as proof of no difference..

Do not mistake me. I do not consider everything as audible, just that the tests which indicate such may be flawed.

j

Last edited:
Audiophiles seem incapable of providing such under controlled testing regimens.

The same generalisation, as about scientists, you were objecting against. :D

I've seen both audiophiles who honestly tried to find expalanions of what they hear so engineer can understand them, as well as scientists that denied everything that they can't explain using models they believe in. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.