John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
the resistor in the middle ?
What resistor? According to schematic posted by JC, those four in the middle are not even connected. :D
If they would, schematic would show dots connecting the respective lines - see my attachment.

Oops... :ashamed:

--------------
Five minutes later, voice of boss in the background: "Now, get me that (beep) guy responsible for this (beep) schematic. I want to see him NOW!"

Attachments

• not_connected.jpg
    not_connected.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Please remember everyone, the CORE of this circuit is 40 years old.
It was derived from a 100% bipolar topology that was designed for Alembic Inc as a line driver in 1970. The second schematic, that I released prematurely, because of so many 'questions' has more to it and can be confusing, but the EXTRA tabs are for SERVO connections, both differential and common mode.

The middle resistor is NOT necessary for the nominal operation of this circuit, but it does control the idling current for the first (and second) stage. The resistor can be made variable to adjust for different Idss jfets. The derivation of the value of a fixed resistor can be done graphically from the jfet Id-Vgs graphs that are commonly available.

Last edited:
A slight modification of this core circuit was originally used for the Grateful Dead line drive modules for the Wall of Sound in 1973, later used in the line out modules of the Levinson JC-2 preamp. Pictured on the next input here is a slightly advanced version of the older GD and Levinson modules, first used in the Vendetta Research 2'd stage and now in Parasound power amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.