John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
topology

Attachments

• 4-Q.jpg
    4-Q.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 247
You should be able to recognize the schematic as the fundamental topology of the Parasound JC-2, Gale Amp (1976), etc, etc. It is important to analyze the ESSENCE of a design at its most simple level, to see its advantages and disadvantages. This schematic is about 20 years old.
The commentary comes from the same time period, the early 1990's as a guideline for Parasound engineers to note, in general, when attempting to understand my designs.

... I find words that remain in active use in english but have left the general use in German.
:)

OT, but you don't have to look too hard to find some real throwbacks in English as it is spoken.

Everyday example here in Somerset* a common greeting is 'Owbist?' It's a C9-10th Anglicisation of the German 2nd person participle of Sein, 'to be'.

*For non-English speakers: this word contains at least two Z sounds, the longest 'ee' ever, separated by a rhotic prolonged beyond adolescence. Zumm-eerr-zet.

Zider'I up, Landlord....

Last edited:
No, but it is a more COMPLETE circuit. I recommend R.G Meyer's 'Analysis and Design of ANALOG INTEGRATED CIRCUITS' pp. 195 and 286 for example. The original 'topology' put up is called a 'subcircuit' (p.195) and is commonly used in analysis of analog circuits. It is the BASIS of more complex circuits, where the CORE of the design is lost in the 'housekeeping'. I would like to talk about the CORE of the design first, especially for newbees, both its advantages and disadvantages.

What's shown looks like a comparator. The outputs are railed one way or the other.

Not necessary. It can be used as a trigger also, good one, from rail to rail, it fo add couple of resistors. Very nice to eliminate bouncing of contacts of buttons and micro switches.

Also, half of such thingy I used long time ago for a guitar effect, with couple of diodes in feedback.

Last edited:
No, but it is a more COMPLETE circuit. I recommend R.G Meyer's 'Analysis and Design of ANALOG INTEGRATED CIRCUITS' pp. 195 and 286 for example. The original 'topology' put up is called a 'subcircuit' (p.195) and is commonly used in analysis of analog circuits. It is the BASIS of more complex circuits, where the CORE of the design is lost in the 'housekeeping'. I would like to talk about the CORE of the design first, especially for newbees, both its advantages and disadvantages.

The 'CORE' begs to have a ground (0V)
at the center
(between the resistors up(and down) to
the sources of the input xsistors
(other than the synthetic one(ground))

Status
Not open for further replies.