John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares whether the JC-3 can drive 600 ohms or so? It was NEVER designed for that, and it is the OPA2134 on the output that is the limitation.

If I may suggest, never put an (unbuffered) opamp only at the output of the hi-end line stage or phono stage. This would ALWAYS compromise the design and will never drive the cable well, though it may sound 'silly'. This is my know-how that I share here.

(Hand to ear) Eh, speak up, why do you always mumble? (True unhappy client story!)

The cited blog came to the conclusion the article finding cable differences was flawed. I think the basis of comparison was flawed also.

Now 162 watts average into a loudspeaker seems loud, but I was just at a small ballpark. The loudspeakers I installed 18 years ago were rated for 103.1 db/w @ 1M. Someone else (Low bidder) had added speakers to cover new seating that were 90 db/w @ 1M.

So the new loudspeakers at 4.5 amps would have produced 105.8 db @ 1M (Power compression comes into play and that actually is a fairly good number for their maximum power.) As this is a minor league ballpark the level would need to be 95 db at the farthest seats. So the throw of those added speakers would be 132 inches! The ones I used handled a bit more power and could throw 54 feet, which was just adequate.

The operator mentioned they could not get a good level balance for the entire ballpark. It just wasn't loud enough for the new section no matter what they did.

So there really are cases where 4.5 amps ain't loud enough even for indoor use as some audiophile loudspeakers can be as low as 82 db/w @ 1M.

I would find 104dB SPL average in a room generally unbearable and the peaks for any real music would be near dangerous even in this extreme example. Why would anyone wire such a system with plastic coated #24 zipcord?

Last edited:
I would find 104dB SPL average in a room generally unbearable and the peaks for any real music would be near dangerous even in this extreme example. Why would anyone wire such a system with plastic coated #24 zipcord?

104 db @1 M or only 90 at my listening distance. Loud.. yeah but there are some who listen that loud. Perhaps that is why they think I mumble.

Then the issue of 24 gauge wire is that it is not a reasonable choice but appears as if it were included in some "tests" proving speaker wire changes with level.

Yes some folks have sold 24 gauge as speaker wire, and it probably works just fine for their customers.

Now if you want to look at the new super alloys that are being made in triple processed vacuum furnaces, there actually are better choices for interconnect wires coming down the pike. And yes they will costs more and actually be worth it to the very few who have the rest of their gear up to the task.

More bad FET news?

LSJ74 seems to no longer be listed anywhere on the Linear Systems website. Anyone have info?
Just checked not in crossreference or selection guide either.

Had a good laugh looking around, from Gerorge Massenburg's website....

Their all-discrete, bipolar transistor circuit topologies are completely transformerless with no >>FET's<<, IC's, or electrolytic capacitors in the signal path.

Last edited:
Joachim, I know the 'inside' of all this. It is difficult to get Toshiba J74's so get whatever you can. You won't be sorry. Linear can and will provide j74's in future, hopefully. J174 is NOT a direct replacement, but is complement to J113, old Siliconix parts and what Levinson and I used in the Levinson JC-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.