John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem we had with the polyester cap was similar (shape) to the attached simulation, but settling time was longer, in us. The 'overcompensation' or 'undercompensation" was not the case, it was impossible to tune it by R,C values (R//C-R//C) divider. It was fixed with polypropylene caps.

Attachments

• capacitor long tail settling.PNG
    capacitor long tail settling.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 195
The problem we had with the polyester cap was similar (shape) to the attached simulation, but settling time was longer, in us. The 'overcompensation' or 'undercompensation" was not the case, it was impossible to tune it by R,C values (R//C-R//C) divider. It was fixed with polypropylene caps.

That would show up nicely on our bridge null test. An historical point, a professor from SUNY sent a very nasty letter to Ed Dell and in essence he denied the existance of any effect rather that deal with the issue. I think a lot of folks get to this point. I was in the middle, there is an effect and I don't see anything going on that is audible except in the grossest context. The talk of "memory" and "echo" was unfortunate and inaccurate, and I did not want to support it.

The same issue arrises with cap distortion. Folks measure distortion with considerable AC on the cap and extrapolate that to performance where there is no AC on the cap (coupling well past 3dB, bypass).

That would show up nicely on our bridge null test.

Probably yes, as the issue we had was more related to frequency dependence of capacitance of the polyester capacitor. For the R//C-R//C voltage divider the DA is not that much an issue (parallel resistor). But is a GREAT issue in the (R-C)-(R-C) divider (series damped capacitive divider). I was building these dividers for HV impulse voltage measurement, and I have been aware of the DA problem since the beginning of the 80-ties.

Regards,

No, it's not. MKN is generally PEN, a type of polyester. Polyethylene is rarely used as a dielectric (despite superb dielectric properties) because of its low melting point.

You are wrong. MKN is polyethylene naphthalate. MKT is polyethylene terephtalate = polyester. I have already told you that you know almost everything, but just almost.

You are wrong. MKN is polyethylene naphthalate. MKT is polyethylene terephtalate = polyester. I have already told you that you know almost everything, but just almost.

Polymers I know reasonably well. Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is a polyester. Polyethylene naphthalate (PEN) is a polyester as well. There are lots of polyesters- anything with a structure of -R1-CO-O-R2- is a polyester. PEN and PET have different Rs, but the same polyester structure.

Polyethylene is a polyolefin, a completely different polymer family. No carbonyls, no oxygens, no aryls, just (CH2)x.

Status
Not open for further replies.