John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Here are two theoretical circuits. When made with real components will they have the same noise level?

Depends on the Op-Amp's and Resistors used.

Is there any signal correlated noise?

Depends on the Op-Amp's and Resistors used.

For example, classic 5534 combined with thick film resistors would give very interesting results.

Ciao T

Makes you wonder why there are so few "live" orchestral recordings. :D It's not that it's daunting, it's that a recording is an archival document, not a one-off performance. Add in the strict admonition to hit exactly the volumes you did at the run-through, NEVER exceeding them by even a little and what you have is a safe, sterile, performance, professionally executed, but taking no chances and not "going" with the feeling. Multiply that times 100 (or so) musicians.

Just curious, have there ever been any D2D orchestral performances that were exciting? Within the genres I favor, I can't think of any jazz D2Ds that I'd listen to more than once.

Most of if not all of the Dallas Symphony Orchestra recordings are done live and yes they are cut and spliced where the best movements from at least three performances are grouped together. The conductor usually has the say as to which movements are used and many of the recent DSO recordings are very musical and hardly sterile.

Some of the most hair-raising orchestral performances you'll ever hear are live wartime recordings of the Berlin Philharmonic made under the threat of aerial bombing and at a time when Germany was losing the war and a sense of desperation had set in. Most great art was made during times of upheaval or as they say, interesting times.

John

Last edited:
Some of the most hair-raising orchestral performances you'll ever hear are live wartime recordings of the Berlin Philharmonic made under the threat of aerial bombing and at a time when Germany was losing the war and a sense of desperation had set in. Most great art was made during times of upheaval or as they say, interesting times.

John

Yes, Furtwangler's wartime 9th the chorus in particular, scarey. Many were saved on magnetophon (early tape, yes Thorsten another German invention) but technically leave much to be desired.

... many of the recent DSO recordings are very musical and hardly sterile.

But of course, they're not D2D, the musicians aren't restrained in their playing for fear of catastrophic consequences, and... they're digital. Hey, my recordings are done live, one take, but I didn't tell them to play things with exactly the same dynamics each time, and second takes were cost-free. I take it that the answer to my question is, "no."

In the end, however, great performances almost always come from orchestras with highly talented, above average musicians and great conductors. Here is a recording from the not too distant past by the Leningrad Philharmonic with Evgeny Mravinsky conducting:

Glinka - Russlan and Ludmilla Overture - Mravinsky/Leningrad - YouTube

It was made during a live concert held in celebration of Mravinsky's career where the orchestra was given an opportunity to show off its skills and nothing was left in the bag. There are many who would consider this kind of playing vulgar. I have this recording on lp and it is done very well.

Unfortunately, these days classical music performance seems overly influenced by critics who believe that correctness and accuracy should rule the day, and knowing that in the back of their minds performers do tend to be a bit too careful and sterility ensues.

John

Last edited:
But of course, they're not D2D, the musicians aren't restrained in their playing for fear of catastrophic consequences, and... they're digital. Hey, my recordings are done live, one take, but I didn't tell them to play things with exactly the same dynamics each time, and second takes were cost-free. I take it that the answer to my question is, "no."

If I'm not mistaken, all DSO performances are recorded on an Otari analog tape machine. There are a few of those masters I'd like to get my hands on.:)

John

Hi,

Wasn't everything before the second war D2D? And everything before the first war D2D acoustic? No good performances recorded from 1878 to 1945?

Germany developed "high Fidelity" tape recordings from before through WW2 together with other rather exceptional Audio technologies.

First high fidelity stereophonic recordings took place in Germany in '43, possibly '42. On some of the recordings you supposedly can hear the AckAck going off in the background, but the Orchestra played on, single take as well, fuer fuehrer, volk und vaterland (I am being ironic).

Monitored via 2-Way coincident (not just coaxial, but also timealigned and pulse coherent) Speakers driven from "Current Source" open loop amplifiers.

Microphones where those 1" Neumann ones Scott is so fond of. Electronics Telefunken/TAB.

The recordings I have come across transferred to CD are quite something.

One might almost say that in the 60 Years hence not a lot of real progress has been made and we are back where it all started so many years ago in Berlin...

Ciao T

First high fidelity stereophonic recordings took place in Germany in '43, possibly '42. On some of the recordings you supposedly can hear the AckAck going off in the background, but the Orchestra played on, single take as well, fuer fuehrer, volk und vaterland (I am being ironic).

I have several cds and lps of those performances and the fidelity is fairly low and distortion is quite audible. On one you can hear the low rumble of anti-aircraft artillery in the distance, probably large caliber guns like the 12.8cm FlaK.

The funny part is on one of the records during the first movement you can hear a solitary, persistent coughing - it stops suddenly before the next movement begins. The joke was that the culprit was taken from the building and shot.

John

Last edited:
Tape recording was editable during WW2, and I can believe that it was used on occasion, BUT its real job was to record an actual performance, and play it back on AM radio, either at another time or from another city. It fooled the Allies, because they could not believe that there were recordings of such quality, and they seemingly heard a 'live' broadcast coming from a city that was recently bombed. This is what got the Americans interested in 'stealing' the technology after the war. This is Ampex history, in fact.

Pano,

Thanks TL. But basically tape recording and editing wasn't common until after the war, right? Only sound on film was commonly edited before that.

The old magnetic wire recordings could be edited in the same essential way as tape based on what I heard (with difficulty, buy cutting and splicing), but I think major editing was not used until the 50's.

As I was not in the industry (or even alive in this particular corporeal incarnation, come to that) at the time that is based on hear-say and guess-work.

As for the quality of these tapes... They where very degraded when converted. Unlike non-biodegradable Seedees, tape does not age well.

Ciao T

Microphones where those 1" Neumann ones Scott is so fond of. Electronics Telefunken/TAB.

I don't recall stating a preferece. I have a great photo of one in "use" in 1943, but I'm afraid it might offend certain sensibilities. Instead....

Attachments

• aaaaannn.jpg
    aaaaannn.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 185
I have several cds and lps of those performances and the fidelity is fairly low and distortion is quite audible. On one you can hear the low rumble of anti-aircraft artillery in the distance, probably large caliber guns like the 12.8cm FlaK.

The funny part is on one of the records during the first movement you can hear a solitary, persistent coughing - it stops suddenly before the next movement begins. The joke was that the culprit was taken from the building and shot.

John

I agree the CD transfers of the magnetophon recordings I have have a lot of distortion and other defects. A question would be, are they directly from the originals?

BTW my father was on the other end of that flak.

Status
Not open for further replies.