John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
[...] a 16 bit system with [...] dither. This dither only "linearizes" the lowest bits, it has no effect on the resolution of the upper 14 bits.
My apologies for being long-winded in my previous reply; I forgot to comment on this part. It's incorrect to say that dither only makes the lowest bits linear and not the rest. A 16-bit sample is a whole unit. Dither makes the whole unit contain the sample without input-dependent distortion and noise modulation. There really is no way to affect only the lowest bits (except for truncation, or other forms of masking, which adds distortion to the unit represented by the remaining bits). In other words, proper dither makes all bits linear.

I suppose it's potentially confusing when TPDF of 2 LSB (amplitude) is discussed, because that might be construed as affecting only the 2 least significant bits, but that is not the case. Adding anything to a sample, positive or negative, can and usually does affect all bits.

By the way, when the TPDF amplitude of 2 LSB is mentioned in JAES v40 #5, it is explained that only this amplitude is correct. Less than 2 LSB peak-to-peak, or more than 2 LSB peak-to-peak is not successful in eliminating input-dependent distortion and noise modulation. Thus, discussions of ever-increasing amounts of dither being applied are not consistent with the literature that I happen to have referenced.

Hi,

What other reason is there for those ASRC hardware chips to exist?

ASRC is used whenever it is not possible to establish an integer ratio between two sample rates. For example a nominal 192KHz sample rate device will have a REAL sample frequency determined by it's clock that is not exactly 192.0 period KHz.

Moreover, the target device may operate not precisely at 44.1KHz. In this case the fixed 147 times upsampling and 640 times downsampling will cause problems.

So you have to somehow re-clock the whole shebang, which is in effect offered in your case by a very large fifo with independent write and read clocks... (BTW, the FIFO is of course the fie stored on the HDD, it must be written first and can be read back independently - classic FIFO behaviour).

Ciao T

Hi,

Can I ask you something what is in your opinion the best sounding "Old CD player"

Marantz CD-12/DA-12 or the equivalent Philips LHH1000 combo, fully restored and modernised (capacitors, op-amp's etc.) if we are talking about essentially "stock".

Otherwise any "high end" japenese multibit player, really well modified and with tube output stage, players with TDA1541 also converted to Non-Os are preferred, others exist, AD1862 & PDM100 equipped units probably come next in list.

Ciao T

Hi,

You mean Dustin?

Not surprised at all... :D

Ciao T

No it was Martin M. I was having a drink with the CEO of ESS, Martin, and a third person I did not know. They did use "we" when describing the process, and begged me to come listen but I didn't have the time. It was Martin's expertise at ADI, but I see (I think) he is off making finished DAC's now. They were very enthusiastic about using the listening process in the design, and the FPGA eliminates a silicon rev for every tweek or experiment. Yes, it gives me pause when the priests leave the order. :) FWIW, I did the op-amp (partly) in the 1862, that's when I cooked up that altenative solution.

http://www.cmoset.com/uploads/6A.4-08.pdf

Last edited:
Digital Recording

Howard

are you ignoring Shannon?Hartley theorem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - analog signal channels definitely aren't "infinite" resolution; bandwidth and noise are always limiting...

I appreciate you taking the time to remind me of my mis-use of the terminology, and for sure I realize this. And it is true that dither is input to the system so it adds to the signal, potentially modulating the highest bit, should the signal level be less than 1/2p-p of the dither amplitude away from it (note to self: accuracy of thought is inversely proportional to IPA consumption).

My poorly stated comment was meant to express how the concept of 16-bit sampling in reality involved far fewer bits for most audio. (caution, old fart memory warning :): In the early days of digital cassette replication we designed and built a digital master bin. Since the replication ratio was 64:1, the D>A had to handle 20kHz * 64 or 1.28MHz. In 1987 a 16-bit DAC which could handle this was a severely expensive item. As a result we spent a lot of time listening to far less expensive 12 and 14-bit DACs to see if we could hear any compromise in the sound quality...and we sure could. It is definitely true that even with 16-bit systems, level setting is critical...

I may be chasing ghosts here, but let me ask my question using a diffferent thought experiment: Early on DBX touted that they could acheive equivalent 24-bit performance by linear companding wrapped around a 16-bit digital recording system. This is such a loaded statement there is a lot to address, but the idea really bothered me, and my objection can be illustrated by taking the idea to extremes: Assuming a lossless compander (if such a thing could ever exist). Could you actually recover the inputted audio after a 2-bit (w/dither of course) digital encode>decode cycle if you compressed the audio to not exceed the dynamic range of 2-bits?

Also, can one of you who has a handle of the intricasies of digital sampling theory speak to the issue of narrow-band distortion at sub-harmonics of the sampling rate? I noticed this phenomena myself during testing of the aforementioned system.

Thanks for your time,

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
1st on the internet

Hi,

To give you a few more datapoints, I actually took a few times an SPL meter to the concert halls in London, to get a handle on SPL's. I typically like seats centred and in the frontish rows (maybe 4 -6).

Big orchestras going at ffff on the finale of a piece can hit SPL's in the lower 80's (that is averaged) with high confidence, examining uncompressed recordings I find between 10-20dB crestfactor with the crestfactor at the crescondo generally lower than when levels are low.

I also found the lowest level from the Orchestra at pppp in the mid 40dB region, though I have a little less confidence in this measurement. Hall noise with an audience in RFH in London (which sits on isolators) was nearly as much.

So I would place the highest peaks from such an orchestra in the 100dB-ish region in terms of SPL at a fairly cheap seat (mid hall and back of hall cost more and are less loud).

If we scale this correctly to CD, so that the highest peaks align with 0dBFS (which is why we need MORE than 16 Bit in the actual initial recording) on the CD, the lowest musical parts will be in the -50 to -60dB region, HOWEVER, reverb tails and general ambience of the hall etc. will be at much lower levels.

They do add to the illusion of reality where they are recorded well (like Decca releases).

So yes, we only have maybe 13 Bit at the lower levels, which is why it is critical to get the levels right...

Ciao T

Thorsten,

Here we are going to disagree. If you were using an IEC standard sound level meter even on fast weighting and "C" scale there are issues not covered.

Doing live symphony reinforcement in a pavilion setting, I find that at 30 db of headroom I cannot hear the sound system clip. At the commonly accepted 20 db, careful listening shows the limits. 10 db used to be the standard and that is bad enough I wouldn't use that for a subway station.

The next issue is lower level. When the low SPL levels are shown you again need 30 db below that or you will hear the process noise!

So before looking at the orchestra's range you start with a 60 db guard band.

Now my high reading at the conductors position is 112 db during a rehearsal. The low reading should be the concert halls background noise level of around 25 dba.

ES

Hi,

Marantz CD-12/DA-12 or the equivalent Philips LHH1000 combo, fully restored and modernised (capacitors, op-amp's etc.) if we are talking about essentially "stock".

Otherwise any "high end" japenese multibit player, really well modified and with tube output stage, players with TDA1541 also converted to Non-Os are preferred, others exist, AD1862 & PDM100 equipped units probably come next in list.

Ciao T

:D

Attachments

• philip963as_1.jpg
    philip963as_1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 188
Hi,

Here we are going to disagree. If you were using an IEC standard sound level meter even on fast weighting and "C" scale there are issues not covered.

I used a meter set to fast which had it's "C" setting replaced by a "flat" one

Doing live symphony reinforcement in a pavilion setting, I find that at 30 db of headroom I cannot hear the sound system clip. At the commonly accepted 20 db, careful listening shows the limits.

Well, for system clipping I would check the Amp's monitors. Also, remember that you likely use close miking, while me listening (and bootlegging) is already in the far field.

Speaking of sound reinforcement for symphonic music.

I used to regularly go to the summer concerts at Kenwood House at Hamstead Heath in London. Entrance to the park was free and if you did not mind sitting a bit away from the orchestra, so was the music. It was a lovely outing almost every weekend in the summer.

Some concerts I did buy tickets and got to rub shoulders with people rich, famous or monied and blessed with taste (much less rare in England than in the former colonies). The orchestra played in a lovely late 18th or early 19th century Shell type bandstand. No sound reinforcement. Some times it rained.

One ticket I always bought was the finale of the years series. It featured 1812 including her royal majesty the Queen's Royal Horse Artillery with 13 pounder cannons and muskets (Telarc, eat your heart out).

I stopped going when they moved the concerts to a different area, with a stage and sound reinforcement, even though tickets became cheaper and many companies handed out incredible freebies (like free bottle of Cointreu) in the name of promotion. I spend more at the Royal Festival Hall afterwards. Great hall, no PA.

Past that, I analysed uncompressed recordings using software. It is possible that the recordings contained clipped peaks, but this was not audible. I do however not remember seeing any "overs" when recording them (portable DAT and concident crossed 8 ribbon mike - not very stealthy, but I got away with it).

The next issue is lower level. When the low SPL levels are shown you again need 30 db below that or you will hear the process noise!

I am unsure if I agree on the 30dB for the foot room and headroom, but if we wish, these are things we can debate AND measure...

So before looking at the orchestra's range you start with a 60 db guard band.

Well, recording analogue we had around 80db total usable dynamic available. The orchestra has normally > 50dB between pppp and ffff. I do not remember using 30dB gain-riding in those days (quite frankly, 30dB gainriding is an impossibility even using the Eckmiller W88 fader or it's east german equivalent (meaning frequency compensated so subjective tonal balance did not change when "gain-riding), using more traditional faders I doubt I'd comfortably go much past 10dB...

But we managed... With magnetic tape... Somehow.

We also managed later with 16/48.

Not that I am against 32/384, as long as we get real 20 Bit converters, not 9.5 Bits in hardware and 22.5 Bit in handwaving, marketing and magic...

Now my high reading at the conductors position is 112 db during a rehearsal. The low reading should be the concert halls background noise level of around 25 dba.

I do agree with either number, for an empty hall and the conductors rostrum from my "formal" recording career.

Mine where given for centre 4th to 6th row and with a packed audience.

So we are comparing Apples and Oranges.

Ciao T

Last edited:
Scott,

AD1862 & PDM100, NOT AD1855 (I heard that part, I'd take cirrus logic instead any day, which is about the same as saying I'd rather eat at MickeyD). It is not the manufacturer, it is the specific chip.

My personal list for 16/44 goes (either Non-Os or PDM100 for HDCD):

#1 TDA1541AS2
#2 TDA1541AS1
#3 TDA1541A
#4 AD1862
#5 PCM56
#6 PCM63
#7 and on - the rest of multibitdom

Listening to TDA1541AS2 with JAN GE 6072A ***** as analogue stage ATM...

Ciao T

Even 10 us (microseconds) of time DIFFERENCE between left and right ear is audible.
Yes. 1.5 uSec has been discerned, lateralization.

Do you position your speakers to 0.3mm?
Why? This is a non-sequitur. (this unit must survive)

Even if he has positioned his speakers to within an accuracy of 0.3 mm, I wonder if he keeps his head in the perfect sweet spot when listening, without moving more than 0.3 mm.

It is not necessary. Once the listener is in what is considered the sweetspot based on virtual imaging of centrally derived images, then 10 uSec R-L delay of other signals will cause the other signals to be positioned laterally off center.

On headphones yes, still looking for the same result in an ambient space without a headvice.
See previous explanation.

I should post a pic, the voice coil has experienced serious liquifaction.

In excess of 660 C? Or, 1062 C? Or, did it exceed glass transition?
cmon scott...need pics..

Cheers, jn

T

No close mic'ing needed, the band is loud enough you can mic sections and get a decent blend.

I really don't care what analog's range is, I want the best! So 22 real bits with 8 x oversampling should meet requirements for the recording system not to be the limiting factor.

Flat is really not good on an SLM as there are a lot of infrasonic noise sources that are very very loud, some LF roll off is required.

Finally Apples are computers and Oranges are American football players, no comparison at all!

Also, can one of you who has a handle of the intricasies of digital sampling theory speak to the issue of narrow-band distortion at sub-harmonics of the sampling rate? I noticed this phenomena myself during testing of the aforementioned system.

Howard Hoyt
CE - WXYC-FM
UNC Chapel Hill, NC
www.wxyc.org
1st on the internet

Howard,

My guess would be that this is an example of the alias frequency of a midband signal being the same as the correct signal. So I would expect a 6 db rise in garbage at the midband.

There might be some spreading due to clock jitter.

ES

It is not necessary. Once the listener is in what is considered the sweetspot based on virtual imaging of centrally derived images, then 10 uSec R-L delay of other signals will cause the other signals to be positioned laterally off center.

I can't position myself within 0.3mm. Yet my speakers image just fine, and moving imperceptibly does not shift the image.

I can't position myself within 0.3mm. Yet my speakers image just fine, and moving imperceptibly does not shift the image.

SY

There was a fellow who taught that coaxial speakers were the solution to the path length difference issue and frequency notches that resulted at crossover.

So when I place my high frequency horn 24" away from the center of the midrange horn, what is the path length difference to a close listener at say 200 feet? (Hint the cancellation notch would occur at 56 khz if both drivers had similar outputs.)

As you indicated before there are lots of room reflections in the absolute timing issue to be wary off. But that Pythagoras cat did some really cool math way back even before John was born.

Your response is again, non sequitur.

I am speaking of a differential positioning between a central image with ITD and IID of zero, and an imaged voice shifted as a result of a 10 uSec ITD with respect to the image with none.

You are mistakenly attempting to introduce absolutes into a referenced discussion.

Cheers, jn

Hi,

No close mic'ing needed, the band is loud enough you can mic sections and get a decent blend.

So, ahead of the conductors rostrum...

I really don't care what analog's range is, I want the best! So 22 real bits with 8 x oversampling should meet requirements for the recording system not to be the limiting factor.

Do not get me wrong, I would love a 22 Bit SAR or Flash ADC sampling at 384KHz for recordings and I would love to store the masters in this format.

I am pragmatic though, CD can be made very good (but rarely is) and I'd rather have the mainstream recording industry use 16/44 to it's limits than two or three audiophile labels issuing superb recordings in 22/384 of mediocre performances.

Flat is really not good on an SLM as there are a lot of infrasonic noise sources that are very very loud, some LF roll off is required.

Not flat to DC, not sure where precisely the LF rolloff ended up, I normally aim for 8 Hz per stage, if I remember right it had around six rolloffs. So there was an infrasonic rolloff.

My definition of "Flat" is "without weighting" but "suitably bandwidth limited".

Finally Apples are computers and Oranges are American football players, no comparison at all!

My point precisely.

Ciao T

Status
Not open for further replies.