John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no need for me to demonstrate to others that I hear what I hear.

There absolutely is when you make claims such as "Experienced audiophiles do now how to eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible experience."

Or when you attempt to pass off your subjective experience as something more than simply your subjective experience.

se

No, we wouldn't. Perhaps a cartoon of a rationalist might, but no-one I've ever met would assume that clipping behavior and recovery is the same from amp to amp.

SY,

Historically ringing on clipping went unnoticed for several years! there still are amplifiers made that do that! So yes with hindsight we should not make that mistake, we have so many new ones left!

ES

Steve,

The brass seems like a good idea, but the thieves would mistake it for gold and then get upset when they found out otherwise and take it out on me! :)

The brass seems like a good idea, but the thieves would mistake it for gold and then get upset when they found out otherwise and take it out on me! :)

Yes, vanity does have its price. But just think how GREAT you'll feel about yourself BEFORE they come back and open up a can of Whoop *** on you. :D

Edit: Aw man, I thought they'd eased up on the silly-*** nanny filter. :mad:

se

There absolutely is when you make claims such as "Experienced audiophiles do now how to eliminate all the variables that aren't the actual and genuine audible experience."

Or when you attempt to pass off your subjective experience as something more than simply your subjective experience.

se

This is as far from factual scientific knowledge as it can be.
This is a pure speculation on your part, probably cased on your beliefs.

I'd love to see the factual scientific ground on which you declare that the differences in sound I hear are based on ego and arrogance.

Maybe the fact that you've been stating it time and again, several years on end, and to what end ?
Without the data, the 'audiophile' hardware, nor the expertise to back it up.
Factual observations + circumstantial evidence = rational assumption, till proven otherwise.

(forgive me father, i myself have commited arrogance display again)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you are interested in the facts I can narrate how by making various changes to my system I hear audible changes, some times for better, some time for worse, and sometimes mixed results. Very often the audible changes I hear are opposed to my expectations beforehand.

However I doubt if you are actually interested in the facts of this issue.

Well, of course I am interested in facts. You should stop putting words in other peoples mouth in every post of you. It get's boring.

Anyway, yes, the facts. I have understood from various posts by you that you don't agree that non-auditory clues may influence your assessment, and that consequently you don't take measures to make a listening test controlled.

If that is correct, I am not interested in the details how you do your test as the results will be personal to you and not very interesting to me.

If this is not correct, if in fact you have chaged your mind and agree that tests should be controlled to prevent non-audditory clues to influence your assessment, I am quite interested in how you set up such a controlled session.

jan didden

Yes, vanity does have its price. But just think how GREAT you'll feel about yourself BEFORE they come back and open up a can of Whoop *** on you. :D

se

Steve

I think I will stick with my tin ears, that way I won't have to get into silly debates over what one can hear versus what can be measured.

I'll stick to the debates on if what you are measuring has any influence on what can actually be heard.

ES

Maybe the fact that you've been stating it time and again, several years on end, and to what end ?
Without the data, the 'audiophile' hardware, nor the expertise to back it up.
Factual observations + circumstantial evidence = rational assumption, till proven otherwise.

(forgive me father, i myself have commited arrogance display again)

I hear what I hear for my own use only.
I neither manufacture nor sell audio gear.
The point is that some people here say that what I hear isn't real.
You are welcome to have your own views "till proven otherwise". I'm not here to convince anyone with anything. I'm only amused when people tell me that what I hear isn't real.

Contradictio in terminis again.

It would be if it would be written differently.
You take 2 separate statements, each refers to a different person, in different context.
I never said that my listening experience is a factual scientific knowledge. I only said that those who say that what I hear isn't real, that what I hear stems from ego and arrogance, say so without a factual scientific knowledge.
So the contradiction is in your head only.
It takes a lot of vanity and arrogance to make statements about others without knowing the facts.

Hi,

As far as recognition , I recognize that the above reviewer was most likely paid and or was given a free amp to blather so proficiently. I bet he does not even talk or describe his girl/ wife in such a manner $$$$$.

I happen to casually know said reviewer (also his SO), he is quite a hoot, you should meet him one day and have a good natured laugh at his stories of the former Californian Governor.

He reviewed one of my designs and I can attests that he used similarly flowery language to describe it's sound and that no payments of direct bribes, no free products, no taking out Adds in Stereophile or such was involved, he even declined the invitation for lunch when we where over.

He does get paid for writing, by the word I believe.

Ciao T

PS, as you have the schematic, I'd appreciate a copy for study, interested if they use the same feedback scheme as in the B1000

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.